The X-Files

Started by Mr. Domino, Feb 06, 2011, 08:12:03 PM

Author
The X-Files (Read 25,353 times)

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Wasn't sure whether to start a new topic or not - found a few old ones, but they're rather old.

Anyways, completely missed this series when it was on, but recently picked up the complete DVD set quite cheap, and its quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. I'm still only partway through Season 3 (of 9), so please no spoilers where possible, but I just thought a bit of discussion on the show and its mythos couldn't hurt, especially with Duchovny and Carter starting to talk about getting Fox to let them make the third movie that wraps up the alien invasion - due to occur on December 22, 2012, in their own version of the mayan calendar myth.

For those who are interested, I've also been posting first impressions of each episode over on X-Files Forum, for more in-depth discussion.

So far my favorite eps have been the Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip 3-parter and One Breath. Thoughts? Opinions? General grousing about how you hate when people bring this show up?

Shasvre

Shasvre

I used to watch X-Files as a kid when it was on. But I lost interest in it because it became too confusing when you skipped a couple of episodes every now and then. I'll probably get the series on DVD some day and watch the whole thing as well. I did watch I Want To Believe in the theatres though. It was a decent movie, the lack of aliens didn't bother me.

Remonster

Remonster

Been watching on Netflix since november starting with the first season, already on Season 4, ep 3. I have to say, it is one of my favorite shows ever, no question.

The Erlenmeyer flask was an amazing episode, and a fantastic way to cap off the first season. I really liked Duane Berry and Ascension from the second season and Nisei/731from the third season. The Anasazi three parter was really captivating too. I just love how the show can go from dead serious one episode, to comical the next. For example, Hell Money was a very serous episode, while the next episode, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, was veyr comical.

You just can't help but love the way Duchovny and Anderson took their characters and just ran with it. They really made the characters something special. And Skinner is a badass.

Undeadite

Undeadite

I watched it off and on as a kid, and plan to watch it on Netflix this summer when I have the time. I remember zoning out after the first movie, because the Alien similarities bothered me. I heard it ended on a high note though, and can't wait to watch them all.

Remonster

Remonster

Yeah, I'm saving the movies for after i finish the show.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Well, the first movie actually takes place in-betwixt seasons 5 and 6, chronologically.

And if you really want to get nitpicky, The X-Files Game for PC and PS1 takes place between the season 3 episodes "Avatar" and "Wetwired", and The X-Files: Resist or Serve for PS2 takes place at a nebulous time during Season 7. I'm intending to play both of these at their recommended times to experience the entire franchise in order, similar to what I'm doing with nuBattlestar, having watched Caprica, and waiting on Blood and Chrome before watching Battlestar.

SM

SM

Watched it religiously for a long while, but somehow lost track of it a few series before the end.  Always meant to catch those last few serieses.

Remonster

Remonster

I'll definitely watch the first movie in order then. I didn't even know there was a game  :-\

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Feb 06, 2011, 08:12:03 PM
Wasn't sure whether to start a new topic or not - found a few old ones, but they're rather old.

Anyways, completely missed this series when it was on, but recently picked up the complete DVD set quite cheap, and its quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. I'm still only partway through Season 3 (of 9), so please no spoilers where possible, but I just thought a bit of discussion on the show and its mythos couldn't hurt, especially with Duchovny and Carter starting to talk about getting Fox to let them make the third movie that wraps up the alien invasion - due to occur on December 22, 2012, in their own version of the mayan calendar myth.

For those who are interested, I've also been posting first impressions of each episode over on X-Files Forum, for more in-depth discussion.

So far my favorite eps have been the Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip 3-parter and One Breath. Thoughts? Opinions? General grousing about how you hate when people bring this show up?

I'm one of the biggest fan of X files, I have all the seasons and the movies!!!!
Nice topic:)

-alienhunter14

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

What makes the show so great is the wonderful chemistry between the two leads. Throughout the 90s, when the show was airing, you couldn't help but have Duchovny and Anderson's likenesses shoved down your throats on magazine covers, tv ads, and trailers around the time of the first movie, among other things - but I always got the impression that Mulder and Scully were more or less cyphers - just archetypal characters designed to appeal to a mass demographic without any real personality.

Needless to say, I've been very pleasantly surprised with actually watching the show at just what great characters they are. A lot of the episodes (the "Monster of the Week" features that take up about 2/3 of the show) are essentially twilight zone-y standalone plots, and many of them simply wouldn't work if not for the saving grace of these two people who quickly become like old friends who you can return to every week (or twice a day in my case) and have some grand, icky new adventure.

Also, how badass is Skinner? I mean, seriously, the guy's probably second only to Jean-Luc Picard in the "Bald and Badass" category.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

This entire shows is pretty much the absolute awesomeness. I f**king loved it back when i started watching, and I still love it today. I am too grateful for this show, it made a part of who I am today. There's honestly so much that i can say about The X-Files, that I don't even know what I can say that will make this post my definitive position on the show.

i love the X Files too, great show, i grew up with it, made me fascinated with aliens, mythology and crypozoology as a kid, and i always thought that David Duchovny was the most awesome/cool guy ever.
i even like the Lone Gunmen spin off series.

Cellien

Cellien

This show has so many memories for me.  Came on when I was about 10 and I grew up with it watching it for almost a decade.  Never did finish the last season fully though.  Wife got addicted to it a few years ago and we watched the first half of the series.  Seasons 1-3 are the best, imo.  The new movie was an epic disappointment for us, but I liked the first one quite a bit (even when we watched it again recently).  It's very much just like a long traditional episode with a bigger budget. 

I think there are rumors of a new movie in the pipeline that dives into the alien mythos again.  Could be cool, but it got pretty convoluted towards the end.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Yeah, with any luck movie 3 will be hitting the day after the world ends, as the alien invasion is supposed to be December 22, 2012.

So basically, Chris Carter's saying that even if the world doesn't end like the mayans thought, we're still f**ked.

Kimo

Kimo

I remember watching the X-files when the first came on TV back in the 90's. but i soon lost track of it because i was a teenager, and partying and raves made me miss the show. Anyhow i went and watched them all from season 1 to the last season not that long ago, and i was very disappointed on how the main story turns out with the aliens. The first few seasons are awsome, but the plot just gets very silly after that. The were too many side plots with the alien parts of the xfiles making it hard to follow.

I wish the shows main plot just stuck with the small grays and not bring loads of other types of aliens in to the mix. I mean one minute we are following Mulder hunting his sister that got abducted by what we belive are the grays. then the next thing the is a terminator type of alien dude that cant be stopped, then we see some black stuff that controls people and some aliens that look like people but have no face... i was like WTF is going on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed