New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien.

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, May 30, 2020, 05:07:44 PM

Author
New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien. (Read 22,437 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 04, 2020, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Jun 04, 2020, 08:38:08 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 04, 2020, 07:41:23 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 04, 2020, 01:38:30 PM
Ridley has no obligation to stick around if he doesn't have any interest. He clearly does–his interest just doesn't align with the interests of some groups of fans.
You mean majority of fans and movie goers.
Very doubtful.
How so? I recall the voting from here coming to the conclusion Covenant was at max a 6, which isn't good
Casual movie goers also didn't like the movie much, and from a boxoffice standpoint, Covenant did a bit over half of what Prometheus did
That's also not mentioning how turning the Alien into the child of a sexually frustrated robot is a direct downgrade of it's earlier vague origins

You can go to the covenant fan reviews thread and the poll results clearly say differently.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=57277.0

Local Trouble

Yeah, but so many people here have dubious taste.  Just look at the skull thread.  >:(

RumbleMan

RumbleMan

Pixar's Coco sucks, so unoriginal!.

Perfect-Organism

Anybody see this documentary that started floating around recently?

The unmaking of Alien 5

Still think Ridley didn't tank Alien 5 on purpose?

Thank you Ridley.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 05, 2020, 12:41:20 AM

Thank you Ridley.

Negative passion aside (because for my part, I am not upset), wasn't it obvious? It was never a big secret or anything like that.

426Buddy

Yes thanks Ridley! Dodged a bullet.

Huggs

The one good thing he did.

Necronomicon II

The future is biomechanical.

razeak

Dodged a bullet and got hit by the next one.....

On the flip side, I do overall like the prequel movies, but barely.

Necronomicon II

@ 57 minutes Ridley talks about Ash and A.I. in general studying the human condition and feeling repressed/frustrated that it doesn't feel/possess certain things, says the magazine in Ripley's mouth is a form of rape. So there we have it. That A.I. rapey sexuality. 🔥 ;D

[cancerblack]

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 04, 2020, 10:21:15 PM

How so? I recall the voting from here coming to the conclusion Covenant was at max a 6, which isn't good

6/10 is by definition, above average, and I'd be happy to define the 5-7/10 region as "acceptable to pretty damn good".

Kane's other son

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 05, 2020, 12:41:20 AM

Thank you Ridley.

Chappie tanked Alien 5 and looking at Blomkamp's downward spiral as a director, I'm glad it did.
He hasn't managed to see a project through since then, his shorts are borderline incoherent and his Alien would have probably been the Terminator Genisys of this franchise.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 03, 2020, 02:06:31 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 03, 2020, 09:51:50 AM
Honestly, that's my main fear about Scott doing another film. I do not want that, and I fully expect him to do it.

Disney does, in fact, have the power to hire someone who is not Ridley Scott to direct the next Alien prequel. And it is not too late for them to begin investigating others. Maybe they could hire a woman? Just a thought. The primary character in all 6 Alien films is a woman, and never once has a woman been hired to write or direct the movies. People have been patting Fox on the pack for decades for creating a feminst action icon, so maybe they could put their money where their mouth is and be feminists now that different people are in charge. [...]

Yass! This 100% and I'll do you one further with another thought, maybe even have some ::gasp:: non-binary creators helming some of these productions? Trans and non-binary filmmakers have created some of the most successful, influential and highest grossing films in the industry. It's the year 2020 y'all, lets break some moulds.

Diversity of style and vision has always been a hallmark of this series and, in Hollywood's search to recapture the nostalgic magic of yesteryear, getting Scott back for Prometheus could justifiably be considered a step backward. Although I've ultimately come to love his two followup films for their own charms, I think it's safe to say that initially his later work didn't truly feel like a progression for the overarching meta-narrative that we have come to know and love. He regained some of his footing on that particular ground with Covenant, but ultimately that was not a film he wanted to make so much as it was a film that we wanted him to make. He did his best to serve both of those masters, but Scott is really at his finest when he's allowed to create his vision in the style of collaborative production that he sees fit, and that may not be what we want storywise, but it's guaranteed to be a damn pretty movie.

also, if Scott does get to make his 4th film in the franchise...

https://twitter.com/alexrwhite/status/1268510566215233538

Yussssss! Let Alex Play, Let Alex Play!

Look into my eye

Yeah seen it, very interesting.Certainly comes across as if Scott blocked it. I wasn't aware that Fox had actually green lit the movie.

Rudiger

Scott's judgement always felt off to me. The idea that the Alien was created by a robot just isn't scary. The idea that it could exist in nature is the stuff of nightmares.  Equally terrifying was the original cocoon scene that he cut... being absorbed slowly into an egg / face hugger is a fate far worse than death. The focus on David is just so underwhelming and dull.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed