Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 122,598 times)

900SL

900SL

Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 01:37:34 PM
For those who are worried just relax.

Tomatometer 80%
Average Rating: 6.7/10
Reviews Counted: 20
Fresh: 16
Rotten: 4

How do they get 80% from 6.7/10? Are they using (16+4)/4 instead?

Regardless, the film will be what you make it.

Those that are critical of the film share common concerns, and from what I have read so far, they are issues that will bother me. Seems like we have a good first third, an OK second third and a compromised final third.  I wonder how many of the positive reviews are younger reviewers, who are less invested in the chronology and history of the series.. 

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: 900SL on May 07, 2017, 03:29:22 PM

Tomatometer 80%

I'm not using anything. I just copied/pasted. Tomatometer is changing all the time due to incoming reviews.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: 900SL on May 07, 2017, 03:29:22 PM

Tomatometer 80%

Regardless, the film will be what you make it.

Those that are critical of the film share common concerns, and from what I have read so far, they are issues that will bother me. Seems like we have a good first third, an OK second third and a compromised final third.  I wonder how many of the positive reviews are younger reviewers, who are less invested in the chronology and history of the series.. 
80% is the percentage of positive reviews. 6.7/10 is an average score out of all reviews. It doesn't have anything to do with the said percentage.

Predaker

Predaker

QuoteAlien: Covenant is criminally backloaded, with almost an hour going by before the crew lands on the planet

:-X

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 07, 2017, 01:56:42 PM
Circa 8 out of 10 reviews are positive. That's not "devicive", that's a consensus of opinion that it's good.

Commonly that was the opinion of Jurassic World too.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: szkoki on May 07, 2017, 03:45:59 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 07, 2017, 01:56:42 PM
Circa 8 out of 10 reviews are positive. That's not "devicive", that's a consensus of opinion that it's good.

Commonly that was the opinion of Jurassic World too.
And The Force Awakens scored in the 90's and that was (in my opinion) utter crap. Point being, if one is going to use the percentage of reviews to determine overall quality, then stating that a rate of 8 out of 10 positive reviews to negative reviews equates to "mixed" or "divisive" is a misinterpretation of the data.

Z-101

Z-101

Been sifting through the reviews after the embargo was lifted and found this one to be resonant with many of my qualms with Prometheus.  Its the unflinching honesty of it that sets it apart from the rest and its willingness to get down and dirty by being specific..
https://www.destructoid.com/review-alien-covenant-434922.phtml 

this review does spoil the plot a bit so beware

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

There are so many contradictions in these reviews, Ive even read the film is boring and moves slow in some cases, while otheres say it moves too fast and has so much action you dont have time to breathe. So, see it, make up your own mind and hopefully enjoy it. Im 90% sure that I will. Just give it your money so it will continue

Ingwar

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: 900SL on May 07, 2017, 03:58:27 PM
BBC First Review, not good:

3/5

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170505-film-review-is-alien-covenant-as-good-as-the-original

Mark Kermode is the only BBC review that matters.

He's also the biggest horror movie reviewer out there.

shawsbaby

I find a lot of what galls this reviewer (the "lies") to be a bit melodramatic. I don't think I'll agree with this review one bit.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Interesting final analysis of the film:

"Alien Covenant" almost completely gives itself over to the scary stuff; director Ridley Scott dredges up a little of the "Prometheus" balloon juice (this film is a direct follow-up to that prequel), but he's more interested in an interstellar version of "Friday the 13th," with a respectable ensemble of actors as the camp counselors and various fanged slimeballs filling in for Jason Voorhees.

He did like the film btw.

Z-101

Division is Inevitable

Evanus

Well, I'll definitely have problems with it, but this guy is just being overly dramatic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed