Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 123,487 times)

That Yellow Alien

Hmm, this sounds like a Jurassic World/Force Awakens of the Alien series: technically a new installment that remakes much of what came before to appease fans and reboot the franchise for new audiences.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: 900SL on May 07, 2017, 03:58:27 PM
BBC First Review, not good:

3/5

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170505-film-review-is-alien-covenant-as-good-as-the-original

I have when they compare movies to each other. What's the point? Alien is Alien, Covenant is Covenant.

Game_Over_Man

Prometheus was the film many loved to hate - even still way after its release. Everyone had a freaking opinion about what it should of been and what it resulted in being. I think there's a little of this tipping into the negative reviews, a sort of pseudo academic dissection of what Covenant fails to answer, when it's quite clear Ridley is going for thrills this time rather than drowning in the metaphysics of Prometheus.

I'm seeing it Wednesday, but I'm not going in with a mindset of "this is a franchise I love to hate since Prometheus, go on - fail again!" I going to hope it rekindles the earlier films, which the positive reviews have said it successfully recreates.

Z-101

Quote from: Evanus on May 07, 2017, 04:15:43 PM
Well, I'll definitely have problems with it, but this guy is just being overly dramatic.

Not saying he's not being dramatic but his frustrations sound very familiar

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

More important than the reviews for FOX is the revenue... I will definitely watch it and re-watch it... If the movie reaches middle ground, which is to entertain casual moviegoers AND please hardcore fans, it may be considered a success... Still, good to know it is getting good advanced reviews... 😉👍🏻

Wilo

If reviewers buying into the hype is dishonesty, so is this. It's just of a different kind. He points out some issues like the lack of character development, which is reasonable to criticize but overall the tone and the level of scrutiny in this article just leaves you with the impression he'd made up his mind before he went into the theater. Because of this I feel he just undermines the credibility of his own review even though he had seemingly valid points.

900SL

900SL

Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 04:17:07 PM

3/5

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170505-film-review-is-alien-covenant-as-good-as-the-original

I have when they compare movies to each other. What's the point? Alien is Alien, Covenant is Covenant.

The point is not minding that it's crap. I joke.

I think it is valid to compare AC to Alien. They are both directed by Scott, and inherently linked. This is the big reboot. I do think that the intended scope of AC is much broader, in respect of subject and scale. Much more so than Alien, which in turn brings its own set of risks. 

NickisSmart

I can't wait to review this film, myself. This guy sounds way too pissed off to think straight.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

I don't think I've seen it posted, so just for reference, this is how the dust settled on Prometheus:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012

So, despite some (many?) hating it, the overall consensus was positive. 72% w/ an average of 6.9/10.

I figure this, some what a straight alien film & others what to push the franchise in new directions. Prometheus was that push, Covenant is the attempt at balance. People want different things out of this movie & their reviews will reflect that.

rabidranger

rabidranger

IMO, the reviews seem to support my impression of the film: a credible single entry in a bigger story. It answers some questions while raising others. A marathon not a sprint. That's fine by me!

900SL

900SL

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 07, 2017, 04:13:37 PM

3/5

Mark Kermode is the only BBC review that matters.

He's also the biggest horror movie reviewer out there.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kermodes review. He was positive about Prom, and still is, if you watch 'Prometheus revisited'.   

Z-101

Z-101

Quote from: Wilo on May 07, 2017, 04:31:43 PM
If reviewers buying into the hype is dishonesty, so is this. It's just of a different kind. He points out some issues like the lack of character development, which is reasonable to criticize but overall the tone and the level of scrutiny in this article just leaves you with the impression he'd made up his mind before he went into the theater. Because of this I feel he just undermines the credibility of his own review even though he had seemingly valid points.
Quote from: NickisSmart on May 07, 2017, 04:33:18 PM
I can't wait to review this film, myself. This guy sounds way too pissed off to think straight.

I think this guy (the reviewer) is disgusted and tired of getting his hopes up to be ultimately let down.  Both fair assessments of eventual audience reactions to movies with a lot of hype and hope surrounding them.... 

Rankles75

Looks like immature tripe to me. I don't give any credence to a review like that whatsoever...

Richman678

Richman678

2 of the Star Wars prequels were reviewed ok too guys.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on May 07, 2017, 04:11:31 PM
There are so many contradictions in these reviews, Ive even read the film is boring and moves slow in some cases, while otheres say it moves too fast and has so much action you dont have time to breathe. So, see it, make up your own mind and hopefully enjoy it. Im 90% sure that I will. Just give it your money so it will continue

If the film drags for nearly an hour while waiting for them to finally land on the planet and then has too much of the film's substance unloaded in the final act, it's not really a contradiction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed