Who should write the script for Neill Blomkamp's Alien film?

Started by TimmyTurnersDad, Mar 07, 2015, 08:07:42 PM

Author
Who should write the script for Neill Blomkamp's Alien film? (Read 5,485 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 08, 2015, 06:56:54 PM
@Nightmare
Yeah I heard they worked together on something, might it have been District 9?

Neill and Terri? The co-wrote both District 9 and Chappie.

oduodu

oduodu

Its weird that scriptwriters are so undefined and unknown in general. Isn't there a scriptwriter that stands head and shoulders above the rest ?? I know spaights was the go to guy in hollywood. What about the comic book writers ?? Are there a few who is really good ??

Shouldn't fox hire a group of writers to sit down and discuss ideas fot least a few weeks ??why task only one or two people ??isn't the story the most important part ??

GQSioux

ALEX GARLAND....with input from David Giler and Walter Hill.

Nightmare Asylum

Ooh, Alex Garland never crossed my mind.

I'm assuming Neill is going to be at least co-writer, so it'll be interesting to see how the division of labor will be handled. He's definitely going to be the primary idea man, with it being his pitch that got the movie green lit and all.

GQSioux

Quentin Tarantino has been quoted several times saying he would like to do a Sci-Fi flick (he's also a fan of Garland). Imagine his dialogue in an Alien movie? It would never happen though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWbYZH-apY

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: GQSioux on Mar 08, 2015, 10:49:24 PM
ALEX GARLAND....with input from David Giler and Walter Hill.

I never realized how much I wanted this until now. :o That would truly be perfect!

Jarac

Whoever wrote for Alien: Isolation.

The Cruentus

That is not a bad idea.

Corporal Hicks

As much as I enjoyed Isolation and all the world building elements that Dion and Will put into it, the over-arching story by Dan Abnett was very much a rehash of a lot of the old tropes of the series and wasn't very unique in the grand scheme of things. It was the experience of the game that made those elements work.

I'm also not sure about Garland. I thought 28 Days was over-rated and I hated his Halo script. Admittedly, I haven't actually seen anything else from him (that I can think of).

There's absolutely no-one I can think of that I would like to write this.

Russ

I checked on imdb pro, it has NB as writer with Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett credited as well, though I suspect its "from characters and situations created by" in that regard.

Weaver is the only cast member on there with Scott-Free as the production company.

OpenMaw

Dan O'Bannon is unfortunately dead, so it's just a stock credit. It's on all the Alien films.

Russ

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 10, 2015, 09:33:55 AM
Dan O'Bannon is unfortunately dead, so it's just a stock credit. It's on all the Alien films.

I did not know that, but I guess he had a good innings. NB's definitely on it as writer, director, producer.

T Dog

I don't really know who should write this but as simple as this sounds they should just hire someone who is actually genuinely GOOD.

Not somebody such as Lindelof who just has some heat on him but in reality is a better salesman/PR person than he is writer.

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 10, 2015, 08:55:37 AM
As much as I enjoyed Isolation and all the world building elements that Dion and Will put into it, the over-arching story by Dan Abnett was very much a rehash of a lot of the old tropes of the series and wasn't very unique in the grand scheme of things. It was the experience of the game that made those elements work.

I'm also not sure about Garland. I thought 28 Days was over-rated and I hated his Halo script. Admittedly, I haven't actually seen anything else from him (that I can think of).

There's absolutely no-one I can think of that I would like to write this.

Well, the thing to understand here, Corporal, is that the actual story has apparently already been written by Blomkamp. Or at least, it's been established. What we're discussing here is who would work best to take that story and translate it into a final script for Blomkamp to work with.

That's a rather big difference from what went on with Isolation, since they created a brand new story for that game. Instead, they'd be translating a story by Blomkamp into a script.

GQSioux

Alex Garland wrote Ex Machina and it's his directorial debut. Can't wait to see it this April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQuVnKhxaM

Aside from 28 Days Later, he also wrote Dredd and Sunshine.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed