Aliens: Colonial Marines Underrated

Started by Gigers Alien, Apr 03, 2014, 05:58:13 PM

Author
Aliens: Colonial Marines Underrated (Read 21,593 times)

Gigers Alien

Does anyone else think Aliens: Colonial Marines is a vastly underrated game? Sure, it ended up being almost nothing like the tech demos that were shown (which made me angry) but I still think it does a good job as an Aliens experience.

Kimarhi

Its a bad game.

I don't think its as godawful terrible as some people do but its not good or even mediocre imo.

chrisr232007

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 03, 2014, 07:58:04 PM
Its a bad game.

I don't think its as godawful terrible as some people do but its not good or even mediocre imo.

I agree so this thread over now?  :laugh:

Kimarhi

Naw.  First the defenders have to tell us why it is a decent game.  Then we have to counter why its bad.  Then we argue with each other for fifteen pages.  Then it will be over.

chrisr232007

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 03, 2014, 08:01:10 PM
Naw.  First the defenders have to tell us why it is a decent game.  Then we have to counter why its bad.  Then we argue with each other for fifteen pages.  Then it will be over.

That sounds about right  :P

Gigers Alien

I can understand why you think it's a bad game. It definitely has its graphical issues, AI problems, and glitches. But I don't understand why people hate it so much to the point of comparing it to Superman 64. Seriously, there was some reviewer who compared it to Superman 64! The main reason I like this game so much though, is because one, it was the first Aliens FPS I ever played, and two, it immersed me into the world of James Cameron's Aliens. I was amazed when I got to play through the Sulaco, and how it was practically a 1:1 scale replica from the movie; same with Hadley's Hope. Although it's not my favorite Aliens FPS, i'm not THAT bad in taste. I'd say my all time favorite Aliens game would have to be AVP 2010. I've heard a lot of people like AVP2 though, and I really need to get that one.

Arterial Spray

Is A:CM the worst game ever to be released? No.
Is it completely devoid of possitive points? Nope.
Are these possitive points largely obscured by baffling plot decisions*, allies who managed to combine useless and obnoxious in new exciting ways, irritating scripts, sub standard graphics, downright broken enemy AI, and the nightmarish mess of an ad-campaign combined with awful after market support... and the fact the game will occasionally deleat all of your progress, with no possible way of backing up your save.

It was also horribly overhyped with an ad campaign which (initially at least) specifically targeted the hard-core fan base, but released with huge gapping inconsistencies which even the most cassual fan could point out.

And all of that is coming from someone who had the disk in his console for roughly 11months.
I played it.
I enjoyed it.
I think in some ways it is the closest we will ever get to an 'authentic' feeling Aliens game (in terms of basic aesthetic, sound and weapon feel).
... And that makes me rather sad.

Especially since the last decent Alien franchise game we got was AvP2... and that made some really questionable decissions with the graphics (the comic look, red shoulderpads, the odd skulls on the preds, etc).

A:CM is often made out to be, barely functional and the worst Alien game since AvP(2010), which was often made out to be barely functional and the worst Alien game up to that point. That's mostly hyperbole and nostalgia talking.
Both are flawed but fun in their own way. I think everyone should just look forward to sega loosing the liscence after Isolation.

*as in: "Who the hell chose to include that?"

SM

SM

The music was okay, so it's not a total disaster.

But that doesn't magically make it under-rated.

Gigers Alien

Actually, on the baffling plot decisions, I was frankly happy with how the game is canon, and how that makes Hicks truly alive in the Alien universe. I was disappointed how at the beginning of Alien 3 Hicks was simply just impaled by something while impacting onto Fury-161's surface. It wasn't even a respectful death; it was a slap in the face. I would rather him go down in some cool sacrifice like Ripley or Gorman and Vasquez. Aliens: Colonial Marines wiped that off the slate, even if it fit terribly in the plot. The huge upside of this is that someone could make another Alien film (which is doubtful) with Hicks in it.

Kimarhi

......no screenwriter is going to touch Hicks being alive with a ten foot pole.  It will never happen.

PsyKore

I don't think it's underrated at all. The game is dog shit. And it being canon is about as legitimate as comics being canon.  :)

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 04, 2014, 04:40:33 AM
......no screenwriter is going to touch Hicks being alive with a ten foot pole.  It will never happen.

We live in a world where T-800s age.

Also, as Superman Returns proved (and I'm sure there are loads of other examples), Bryan Singer and co made it known that "Superman III and IV are shit. They didn't happen. This is Superman III." (paraphrasing of course).

I said on another thread, I really think that this was the type of movie that many people wanted after Aliens - we got AL III EN (I love that - I forget who did it on this forum, but I really think its miles better than cubed) which - despite its appreciation with age and assembly cut, had a lukewarm reception at the time (I've not checked if it made money or not - I'm sure it did on the brand alone).

I like that its cannon too (though, as has been said a zillion time, Fox says everything is canon, so make of that what you will), but there's a part of me that wishes this was the type of movie we had.

As far as the game goes - well, I'm sure - like films - there's an objective checklist of something that makes "good" and "bad." But isn't the playing experience purely subjective? I love it - I still love it, I'm stuck on Stasis Interrupted, and I keep going back to try and finish it - so for me, it is is underrated.

PRI. HUDSON

Bad game overall with a few high points I personally enjoyed (Sulaco, Hadley's Hope, etc) Had the game been consistent with the game's strong points, it would have been a vastly better game, but it didn't.

Bad plot, awful graphics that were WORSE than games released in 2007 (Halo 3, anyone?), bad AI, some very bad voice acting at times, etc.

It will go down as one of the biggest game flops of all-time.

/ rant

Valaquen

Quote from: Russ on Apr 04, 2014, 09:01:38 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 04, 2014, 04:40:33 AM

We live in a world where T-800s age.

Or the outer skin, being organic tissue, begins to age, just as it rots when damaged in the first Terminator flick.

Colonial Marines truly depressed me. I had a hard time stomaching the series for a while after finishing it (and I made sure to really do almost everything in the game. I think I mustered 70-80% trophy completion on the PS3 and then gave up,)

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 04, 2014, 02:32:29 PM

Or the outer skin, being organic tissue, begins to age, just as it rots when damaged in the first Terminator flick.

I know the reason they've cooked up for the aging. But the reason that it was cooked up was to bring Arnie back (like he always said he would be).

Point being - if Fox decided that AL III EN and Resurrection were out and Aliens: Colonial Marines (the movie) was in, then Hicks'd be back if they wanted him to be (I can almost hear some director bloke saying "the Hicks character provides continuity between the old series and our new vision - but not in such an overt way as, say, Ripley - Alien and Aliens really were her story, but this is a whole new chapter in the Aliens mythos.")

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed