Prometheus : The Fan Edit?

Started by ThisBethesdaSea, Aug 11, 2012, 11:42:47 AM

Author
Prometheus : The Fan Edit? (Read 21,570 times)

SM

SM

You'd need a DVD ripper that can get around the copy protection, then convert it to a format you can edit in (MOV or AVI or something).  Do the same for any deleted scenes you might want to include.  Then drop it into Premiere or FCP or whatever.  The ripping and converting might take a couple of hours depending on the speed of your machine and whether you know what you're doing.

T Dog

T Dog

I've ripped stuff using Hand-Brake and Mac The Ripper.
I've done some editing with I-Movie HD which would theoretically work fine for this as I can't image I'd be doing visual cross fades.
In terms of the sound though, I'm not sure if you can cross fade music on I-Movie and I don't know what resolutions it outputs, so I'd need to check out those things.

Anyway I'll have to wait until the DVD comes out and I've watched the film a second time to see if it's truly a mess.
It would be an interesting exercise anyway to see how things can change and if the silly things in the movie can be salvaged, and if the tone can be shifted to be more sinister and unnerving.

By the way, do any of you guys have the DIE HARD trilogy release that has the bonus discs where you can re edit scenes with all the coverage they shot? It's interesting for sure.

Gieferg

Gieferg

I am a faneditor myself so I can help a little.

QuoteYou'd need a DVD ripper that can get around the copy protection, then convert it to a format you can edit in (MOV or AVI or something).

Keep the original format. Mpeg-2 is easy for editing and Womble Mpeg Editor handles it well. It may create MPEG file or DVD folder fast and without any quality loss. It's more complicated however if you want to edit HD blu-ray sourced material. I've done some fanedits and I intend to do Prometheus extended cut with all of released deleted scenes  (but only if they're completed and there is no CGI missing or other problems like that), maybe some rearranging of scenes to reduce plot problems if possible.

Audio editing, especially adding new music and keeping SFX and dialogue at the same time is almost always difficult, sometimes even impossible. It depends how sounds are separated among all channels of 5.1 track. You need to demux this track to 6 mono Wavs, and edit all of them separately, then, after deleting all unwanted sounds, you may add what you want to selected channels, then remux it back to 5.1. You may also add sounds straight to 5.1 track, but results may not be as satisfying. I'd recommend creating separate MPEG file for scene which is to be edited, then demux audio from it and working on just this piece, not the whole movie audio track.

Programs like BeLight, Audacity or GoldWave may be helpful.

Good luck :)

QuoteSo my real question is, how long would the pre production (so to speak) take before I could actually get down to work on the edit?

Under one hour I suppose.

T Dog

T Dog

Cheers thanks, very helpful post.

I'll see where I'm at in a few months.

Lots of hopefully great films coming out to take my mind off the disappointment of Prometheus.

Gieferg

Gieferg

and btw, Womble can cross audio without problem.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

I used to use Gordian Knot (not Auto GK though), VobSub, VirtualDub, etc.

orchidal

orchidal

So...is anyone working on a fanedit that puts the new Fifield mutant footage in?
I'm very eager to know of any future releases.

Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

I started working on one yesterday, but had some difficulty because of the files were so big that it made my computer hiccup and hang to the point where I couldn't justify the amount of time I was putting into each cut.  I was using Mp4 files - maybe MPEG 2 are better?

szkoki

szkoki

i also made a fan edition this weekend with the following deleted scenes included:

00:00:58:05 (T'IS THE SEASON) (DELETED SCENE)
00:00:42:08 (OUR FIRST ALIEN) (DELETED SCENE)
00:01:22:01 (WE'RE NOT ALONE ANYMORE) (DELETED SCENE)
00:01:25:04 (HOLLOWAY HUNGOVER) (DELETED SCENE)
00:03:27:07 (JANEK FILLS VICKERS IN) (DELETED SCENE)
00:03:40:12 (A KING HAS HIS REIGN) (DELETED SCENE)
00:02:01:24 (FITFIELD ATTACKS) (DELETED SCENE)
00:04:06:06 (THE ENGINEER SPEAKS) (DELETED SCENE)  /NOT THE WHOLE SCENE/
00:05:05:19 (PARADISE) (DELETED SCENE) /NOT THE WHOLE SCENE, rather the mixed of the two ending- there are no scenes with unfinished cgi in it/

ALSO INCLUDED:

prometheus files - peter weyland (for opening scene, the engineer were cut to make it much more shocking his presence at the end)
prometheus files - transmission (some scenes from the transmission including the crew and that nice Earth scene just before we arriving aboard the Prometheus in the story, feels like a transmission in space, helps the character development)

thats it....but with vegas pro it takes at least 20 hours to render the movie o.O even if its in 2 parts so...i dont know what should i do

Snowdog

Snowdog

Did u use other software besides vegas pro for making this fan edit ??

szkoki

szkoki

yep only that

Snowdog

Snowdog

K cool, maybe i'll make a fan edit myself ^^

antovolk

antovolk

Talking of fanedits, my Weyland Investors Cut that you may or may not have heard about is in finishing stages...here's a trailer I put together last night for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwk3MtZXtI#ws

And a poster:

Premiering next Sat as it says in the trailer. Includes ALL THE DELETED SCENES reinserted back in with minimal removal (apart from to replace a scene with its alternate counterpart) of footage from the theatrical version. Runtime is 2 HOURS 19.

Done it in Premiere, and it does not take 20 hours to render...and that's in HD :) As mentioned before, may organise distribution via PMs of the HD copy the week of Blu-ray release, the official rule is that to legally own a copy and for it to be not considered pirating you should own the source material - ideally the BD but DigitalHD should be OK I think.

Snowdog

Snowdog

Did you put the "Janek fills vickers in" back in ? i did not like that scene :laugh: Maybe because i want Vickers to be an android :P

szkoki

szkoki

then maybe i'll render then my version in a bunch of small parts and cut them together and render in a whole movie with the program u used

i just dont want to mess with the sounds, fades again... who long did it take to render the movie for you?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed