Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 284,426 times)

Requiem28

T
Y
R
A
N
N
O
S
A
U
R
U
S

R
E
X

B
E
E
O
T
C
H
H

King Rathalos

Quote from: Requiem28 on Aug 28, 2013, 02:26:27 PM
T
Y
R
A
N
N
O
S
A
U
R
U
S

R
E
X

B
E
E
O
T
C
H
H

Dis guys knows what's up.

However...this thread needs more Allof**kinsaurus.

TheMonolith

f**k that
Carcharodontosaurus all the way.

"Yeah. I'm so badass, a clear blue sky was just not enough."

DoomRulz

Spinosaurus be f**king dat shit up.

Effectz

Eustreptospondylus.

Master Chief

I <3 Dinosaurs

Anyone have any good pictures of the Utahraptor?

DoomRulz

Master Chief

Haha thanks.

Amaterasu

Gilfryd

Didn't that show get their allosaur and tyrannosaur models COMPLETELY wrong?

TheMonolith

Not sure about that, but the liopleurodon and the tropeognathus were depicted as far too large.

Vertigo

They also showed Utahraptor on the wrong continent, if I remember rightly. Not a big fan of that series.

On topic, it's hard not to be fascinated by Tyrannosaurus as there are so many curious factoids associated with it. We think of it as the archetypal large theropod, yet it's actually a very unusual creature, even compared with its relatives. Stocky and steroidally muscular, battery of senses that's rarely (if ever) been bettered in a terrestrial animal, bite powerful enough to crush bone like mild cheddar, may have been highly social, comparatively large brain, underwent vast physiological changes over the course of its adolescence, and monopolised predatory niches across its ecosystem right from childhood. Represents the apex of an evolutionary arms race of heavily armed leviathans that occurred in North America at the end of the Cretaceous.

It's a dinosaur known from a good catalogue of evidence, we even have skin impressions and biological material. And then you have the various controversies that've sprung up over the years, such as the scavenging bullshit. And of course the memorable representations in popular culture, which makes you (or me, at least) wonder what they'd be like in the modern world. If anything, Tyrannosaurus was more deadly than portrayed in Jurassic Park. Imagine five great white sharks rolled into one, on dry land...

Also very interested in early theropods, from the earliest known example of decent size, Herrerasaurus, through to Coelophysis which formed archetypal shape for the late Triassic, and to Dilophosaurus, which I believe is still the largest known predatory dinosaur up to that point (and whose taxonomy is widely debated - I like to think of it as one of the last coelophysoids, but it may be closer related to Ceratosaurus).

Aesthetically though, I love diplodocids. Very evocative.

...Though any kind of sauropod will do.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Gilfryd on Aug 29, 2013, 10:14:00 PM
Didn't that show get their allosaur and tyrannosaur models COMPLETELY wrong?

Hm, skull designs more than anything else were wrong. The show was ground-breaking in terms of its presentation even if it did get a few things wrong. It's still one of the better dino-docus out there. The best one hands-down is Planet Dinosaur. And yes, they did depict Utahraptor living in Europe...not really sure why.

I wouldn't say Dilophosaurus is related to Ceratosaurus. Dilophosaurus was larger but more slender and had totally different skeletal features (namely the crested head). I too consider it a large coelophysoid.

Sabby

Spinosaurus. No one can take it.

TheMonolith

Cept my boy Carcharodontosaurus.
I saw him beat Spino once during Operation Genesis. Because as everyone knows, the choice of computer AI is a scientifically valid way to see how animals behaved millions of years ago.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed