Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 48,727 times)

SiL

It's from memory specifically the shot where they first stand up. You can see Scar's mark is flipped on his helmet.

The Cruentus

You are correct, even a little before that, Lex's shield switches hands too.

Wweyland

The movie aged well in the sense that much worse sequels/sidequels arrived later.

The Shuriken

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2023, 09:20:32 PMDavis the producer wanted it set on Earth.

Watched it last week for the first time in a while and the thing that really stood out to me was how bad the sound design was. Just cheap, cartoonish sounds constantly repeating.

Yup, definitely on point with this criticism. The Predators have generic lion growls, the blades have generic unsheathing sounds, etc. The plasma caster sounded great thought.

SiL

The plasma caster sounded like someone dropped a brick in a toilet and made it sound more metallic. The whip-crack of the original was so much more aggressive and intimidating.

The Shuriken

Quote from: SiL on Feb 10, 2024, 02:34:30 AMThe plasma caster sounded like someone dropped a brick in a toilet and made it sound more metallic. The whip-crack of the original was so much more aggressive and intimidating.

I thought it had a really scifi energy blast sound.

SiL

Yeah that's the problem. It's just kind of bland, there's no character to it.

Wweyland

I felt the movie was surrounded by a lot of negative hype during its release, leading to me not seeing it in the theater. I even stopped working on my first AvP during that time.
Which is weird, I would go see it now without a heartbeat, as it's still an "Alien" movie to me.

SM

SM

After seeing Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection on release, AvP was the first one I didn't bother with.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 13, 2024, 10:09:44 PMAfter seeing Aliens, Alien and Resurrection on release, AvP was the first one I didn't bother with.

What happened with Alien 3?

[cancerblack]

I think it's there but the 3 fell off.

Nightmare Asylum

I've seen everything from Predators on (except Prey, for obvious reasons) in theaters, plus Alien in its 40th anniversary re-release.

It was 2007 when I got into the franchise(s), but I (thankfully) missed out on seeing AVPR on the big screen and didn't actually see it until it was on cable a few years later.

I was born in 1994, so everything from Alien: Resurrection on released during my lifetime.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 13, 2024, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 13, 2024, 10:09:44 PMAfter seeing Aliens, Alien and Resurrection on release, AvP was the first one I didn't bother with.

What happened with Alien 3?

A typo happened.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 13, 2024, 11:23:49 PMI've seen everything from Predators on (except Prey, for obvious reasons) in theaters, plus Alien in its 40th anniversary re-release.

It was 2007 when I got into the franchise(s), but I (thankfully) missed out on seeing AVPR on the big screen and didn't actually see it until it was on cable a few years later.

I was born in 1994, so everything from Alien: Resurrection on released during my lifetime.

I was too young for rez so unfortunately my first one was AvP and I've never forgiven it.

SiL

I only discovered the franchise existed a year after Rez came out (and was too young to see them anyway).

Absolutely don't regret AvP being my first A/P theatre experience, I had fun.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed