'Suprise' Revealed! *Spoliers*

Started by War Wager, Dec 21, 2007, 04:59:36 PM

Author
'Suprise' Revealed! *Spoliers* (Read 40,146 times)

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 23, 2007, 12:34:40 AM
Quote from: War Wager on Dec 21, 2007, 04:59:36 PM
Do you think the 'suprise' promised a while back has already been seen? I can remember Greg said that it would be 'something sci-fi fan's will go nuts over.' So could it have been the new reproduction method, the multiple burstings, the "get to the choppa" line, that we see Ms Yutani and the end or something else?

I sure hope it'll be something we haven't seen yet...  :-\

95% of the people who will see this movie don't sit on the internet all day long watching every clip that they can get their hands on, so for them none of the surprises have been ruined.

But the hard core fans spoil the movie for themselves by watching clips that we only suppose to be for over-seas markets, and by reading  spolier reviews. I see there are over 800 views on the spoiler thread... which is really sad. Why ruin the movie like that? You'll never be able to fully enjoy it now, so what's the point?

Not everyone is like that. I still come to the site and enjoy it without looking at spoilers. The first 5 minutes were enough for me. Which don't you think was going a little far anyway? That was obviously for the fans!

And as a fanboy yourself you should know most geeks eat this stuff up and can't hold out.  ;D

The Chibi Kiriyama

Does the amount of marketing really matter at this point...? That train left the station some time ago. The only change I can see is if they start heavily advertising on TV after the film is out.

crumbs

crumbs

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 23, 2007, 01:24:10 AM
I am not sure the marketing is working in the favour of telling the Human side of the story.

-Windebieste.
Okay dude, put yourself in the position of a Fox executive. You have a movie called "Aliens vs Predator". How do you advertise a movie that is clearly meant to appeal to ACTION, HORROR and SCI-FI fans? It ain't by showing extended scenes of character development -- especially when that was one of the crucial criticisms the first movie received. People want to see shit getting blown up and ripped apart, and that's what they're getting.

Besides, the population trailer (shown in all international cinemas) did show quite a bit of character development, so the 'human' side of the story has gotten plenty of exposure. Ultimately the "human side of the story" is survival against the odds, and we've clearly seen that in all the trailers.

War Wager

War Wager

QuoteSome of you obbsessive fanboys are hilarious.

I hope that wasn't directed at me crumbs...

The only time I've ever bitched about this was way back when we saw the Red Band. And I'm not bitching now, I'm just saying that revealing how a main character dies is the worst mistake you can do when marketing a horror movie. It's what makes it scary and suspenseful.

yautjarod

yautjarod

hum ... I remember Paul Anderson said that people like his movies more a few years after the oficial release

I guess people who are hating this movie so much , even before watching , could change their mind a bit if take atention in minor details , forgeting any review posted here or any place , and judge the movie by their own point of view.

windebieste

windebieste

One trailer  showing a few cast members not doing a whole lot amongst a crop of released film clips and stills doesn't amount to a lot of character development.  We really haven't seen a lot of character driven narrative at this point in time.  

The released material has mostly been of the 'Wolf kills Alien' content.  ...and oooh Look! Wolf kills another Alien with the occasional Human bystander caught in the crossfire..  ...and, Oh, now he has a go at the Predalien.    Wow.  Not exactly a lot of character development there, is there...  It is somewhat unbalanced, you might say.

Do you think it would have been better to have these scenes revealed to you over the course of the film  ...or do you prefer the broken little tidbits tossed at the hungry public via 'YouTube' and other online media?

Good stories are always about people.  Without engaging characters you don't have a good story and film is just another media for telling stories.  So far, from what I have seen, the marketing of this film has been for the sake of spectacle with little regard for story.

The marketing department has allowed the tail to 'wag the dog' in this respect.  I am hoping that there is a story worth telling amongst all the spectacle.  Otherwise it all just becomes a big fireworks display with lots of crowd-pleasing 'Oooh!' and 'Ahhh!' response and no real content.

-Windebiestre.

War Wager

War Wager

Lots of character development isn't going to draw in crowds windebieste...  ::)

You need to make them want to see it by showing the what the movie is about. Two aliens fighting to the death!

windebieste

windebieste

Sure, but we don't need to have an over-abundance of AvP encounter after AvP encounter feed to us either.  It is only a 90 minute movie - the content of such is going to be limited.  You have proabably seen more than you need to already in terms of action. 

How about some footage regarding some character driven story to help balance out the marketing?

-Windebieste.

NikTh

NikTh

Indeed. I'm curious who of you will NOT go to the cinema to see this movie because they think they've already seen enough footage already?
I can't be bothered whether this movie will be a success at the box office, I really don't. All I know and care about is that I want to see this movie really really really badly anyways.
And I think that some of you just have to learn to keep your hands out of the cookie jar if you can't deal with "spoilers"...

crowmagnumman

I'm glad I spoiled myself. Otherwise I wouldn't have known the movie sucked this badly.

windebieste

windebieste

I stopped watching the various clips online a few weeks back - it has taken some discipline, indeed.  I think that they were going to depreciate my experience of the movie so I largely ignored them since

I do want this to be a kick-arse film.  I can, however, live without all of the unbalanced marketing that has revealed too much.

-Windebieste.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 23, 2007, 12:34:40 AM
95% of the people who will see this movie don't sit on the internet all day long watching every clip that they can get their hands on, so for them none of the surprises have been ruined.
But they have seen at least the trailer (most likely) and you have to admit, there are a few more spoilers in there than really need to be.  Trailers always seem to revel in money shots as though it's the only way to get people into the cinema.

QuoteBut the hard core fans spoil the movie for themselves by watching clips that we only suppose to be for over-seas markets
And as long as that kind of thinking prevails, when it's obvious that borders are no longer relevant, people will always be spoiled/oversaturated.

QuoteI see there are over 800 views on the spoiler thread... which is really sad. Why ruin the movie like that? You'll never be able to fully enjoy it now, so what's the point?
You can't fully enjoy the movie?  Does that mean a repeat viewing of a non-spoiled film also loses a percentage of its enjoyability?

Also, I dare say there'd be fewer people seeking out such massive spoilers if they were anticipating "better surprises."

In the last few months, we've been privy to some...unfortunate revelations, shall we say. (From some fans' points of view at least.)  For some, knowing what they're in for may be the only way to decide whether to go see it or not.  I can only say for myself that if the outlook didn't look so bleak, I'd have avoided all the "major" spoilers.

Plus, there's the other problem...how are you supposed to know you're being spoiled 'til you've already watched something?   Why would anyone assume that the official marketing would so grievously spoilt the film?   The 'overseas audience' line doesn't fly either, not unless you mean to say that spoiling the film for an international audience doesn't matter.  I'm an international (potential) audience member, so it's okay to spoil it for me?

Colin_Strause

It's totally different seeing a movie over and over again that you had a fresh first time experience with, than seeing a movie that you had read all of the spolilers on and imagined in your head in a totally different way.

Foundationman2

Could it be that some dont necessarily trust you, and they want to see your work to make sure that youre on the right path. I personally am gonna enjoy the movie, and am definitely seeing it opening day.

Foundationman2

Oh and by the way, thanks for telling me about Maya. I got it and am lovin it!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed