The Official SKULL or NO SKULL Thread

Started by FiorinaFury161, Feb 18, 2017, 11:38:01 PM

Do you like the skull in the Alien head?

Love the SKULL
It's ok
It makes no difference on how I feel about the Alien
Dislike the SKULL
Hate The SKULL
Hate The SKULL and the people who love it
Author
The Official SKULL or NO SKULL Thread (Read 142,486 times)

Kradan

I don't like skull unless it barely visible.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

the skull is inherently connected to the concept of a semi-transparent cowl suggesting what is beneath it; i.e. death. It also doubles as an allegorical 'death astronaut' so double cool for it

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2019, 12:51:16 PM
the skull is inherently connected to the concept of a semi-transparent cowl suggesting what is beneath it; i.e. death. It also doubles as an allegorical 'death astronaut' so double cool for it

Kradan

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2019, 12:51:16 PM

I know that has been said many many times before, but anyway: skull is cool as idea but in actual movie it's better when Alien is eyeless creature because  that makes him, you know, more ALIEN.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 24, 2019, 03:57:41 PM
I know that has been said many many times before, but anyway: skull is cool as idea but in actual movie it's better when Alien is eyeless creature because  that makes him, you know, more ALIEN.
but it IS eyeless. The skull is beneath the dome, only glimpsed at (the dome is not transparent, but translucent to a degree), totally nonfunctional

were it outside the dome it would look silly, but it's the fact it's within the dome making it a brilliant detail

Kradan

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2019, 04:05:17 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 24, 2019, 03:57:41 PM
but it IS eyeless. The skull is beneath the dome, only glimpsed at (the dome is not transparent, but translucent to a degree), totally nonfunctional

were it outside the dome it would look silly, but it's the fact it's within the dome making it a brilliant detail

I mean, it looks more Alien without ANY signs or clues of eyes. But at the end of the day it's all just matter of personal taste, i think.

The Old One

The Old One

Thunderjack88

Only xenomorph skull I care about is the 9ne in my trophy cabinet!

But on topic skull doesn't make me feel one way or another about the Alien design. I didn't pick up on it my first few watches it's an interesting detail but doesn't define the Xenomorphs enough for me to like or dislike it.

-TJ88

Corporal Hicks

I reckon it would have made a good Newborn.

The Old One

The Old One

That would be kind of bizarre AP, because then the Newborn would be more biomechanical than the regular Resurrection Alien.

Corporal Hicks

That's true but I also think more in terms of that skull portraying it's human connection in a more satisfying way than the final face.

The Old One

The Old One

The design could've been better, won't disagree with that- the Newborn without eyes us immediately an improvement. Even if it still had articulate brow muscles and the rest.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 25, 2019, 08:28:29 AM

they did consider something like that

and iirc the original chris hall pitch design that established the direction they went in was akin to this idea too

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 26, 2019, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 25, 2019, 08:28:29 AM

they did consider something like that
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9bcvjlVtgq0/VuiAo2XM3xI/AAAAAAAAYrw/ALl8xHBpUIcYlyyB-10wDlWVc2ZsAer4g/s1600/newbornmaquette27.png

and iirc the original chris hall pitch design that established the direction they went in was akin to this idea too

Much better in my opinion.

Kradan

Yeah. Vey skeleton-like. And i'd prefer eyeless version - I think (if Jeunet wanted so) a lot of emotions can be expressed by only face and mouth movements.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed