AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie

Started by War Wager, Apr 22, 2008, 04:29:38 PM

Which is your least fave movie of the whole franchise?

Predator
6 (1%)
Predator 2
15 (2.6%)
AvP: Alien vs. Predator
51 (8.8%)
AvPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem
270 (46.6%)
Alien
9 (1.6%)
Aliens
7 (1.2%)
AlienĀ³
37 (6.4%)
Alien Resurrection
101 (17.4%)
Predators
12 (2.1%)
Prometheus
25 (4.3%)
Alien Covenant
12 (2.1%)
The Predator
34 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 559

Author
AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie (Read 232,899 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 18, 2019, 09:50:54 AM
I feel the entire final sequence aboard the Covenant shouldn't exist, it's just dull from the moment I see that dippy bird.

I like it. I like considering this as David testing his creation on these two. It was interesting new take on that "trap the alien and blow him to space" trope. And i like that moment when Xeno bites the camera and Walter/David seems as "Oh no, i shited my pants"

Huggs

Huggs

David smiling as he watches all hell break loose is a total giveaway though. You know that's not Walter right then and there. Although the ambiguity of the fight screams that it's coming.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The moment we see two Michael Fassbenders you know David's going to pull a swap.

It's about the most obvious "twist" I think I've ever seen in a movie.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 18, 2019, 06:28:58 PM
The moment we see two Michael Fassbenders you know David's going to pull a swap.

It's also the most poorly handled obvious twist I've ever seen in a movie

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 18, 2019, 09:50:54 AM
It is shoehorned, it doesn't help that the Alien feels like a Neomorph in it's behaviour, and the scene of them fighting that was supposed to show the contrast between the two was cut.

I am glad at least we got that wonderful Chestburster scene and f**king finally an Alien on film with a design that isn't complete dogshit, which previously has been missing since 1992. Thank you Odd Studios and Alien Isolation's Creative Assembly.

I feel the entire final sequence aboard the Covenant shouldn't exist, it's just dull from the moment I see that dippy bird.

Yeah. A different behaviour for the Neomorph was required, reaching its climax in a fight vs the Alien, before the crane sequence. Then scrap the dull second Alien sequence and finish the movie with the "plot twist", or with a different ending; but without the second Alien anyway  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Yeah...If only because it's just something I'd expect to see Scott think is a brilliant idea at this point. Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted to see multiples of the same on screen but the switcheroo is just so cliche. And like Jack O'Neill, I'm just not too fond of the cliches.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 18, 2019, 08:41:21 PM

Yeah...If only because it's just something I'd expect to see Scott think is a brilliant idea at this point. Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted to see multiples of the same on screen but the switcheroo is just so cliche. And like Jack O'Neill, I'm just not too fond of the cliches.

https://media.giphy.com/media/HE67YFOmUMfDi/giphy.gif

Well, was there any possibility to make this twist unexpected? Maybe twist doesn't have to always be "Aha" moment but serves the story? How would you get David on the Covenant if not like this?

By the way i'm not bothered by that switch. Especially because of Daniels panicing in the end and being not able to do anything and David making that "Shh" gesture. Maybe it's kinda sadistic enjoyment, but still enjoyment.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 18, 2019, 08:49:21 PM
Well, was there any possibility to make this twist unexpected? Maybe twist doesn't have to always be "Aha" moment but serves the story? How would you get David on the Covenant if not like this?

By the way i'm not bothered by that switch. Especially because of Daniels panicing in the end and being not able to do anything and David making that "Shh" gesture. Maybe it's kinda sadistic enjoyment, but still enjoyment.

Honestly, I've no idea how I would have handled it. I might not have bothered trying to do a switch at all. Now that said, I completely agree with you in that the end sequence when she finds out the truth was a particularly awesome moment in the film. I really enjoyed that in the same way I enjoy a lot of Alien 3's meanness.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 18, 2019, 09:09:00 PM
Honestly, I've no idea how I would have handled it. I might not have bothered trying to do a switch at all. Now that said, I completely agree with you in that the end sequence when she finds out the truth was a particularly awesome moment in the film. I really enjoyed that in the same way I enjoy a lot of Alien 3's meanness.

So in your opinion it's not absolutely necessary for David to get on Covenant? I just wanna hear your variant because i remember listening to your The Predator Review podcast and thinking "Sometimes fans come up with actually more interesting plot then actual movie does"

I really enjoyed that in the same way I enjoy a lot of Alien 3's meanness.

I think that ending even more meanner then Alien 3. I mean, yes in the end of third one Ripley dies but good wins anyway. But Covenant leaves us with mad android and almost 2000 poor uncapable to do anything against his will literally test subjects, so evil wins i guess.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe they should not:

1. Have David with long hair.

2. Show us when David is trying to grab a knife.

Or...

Maybe you don't need two Michael Fassbender at all, but a robot with another appearance / gender played by another actor/actress. Then in the end, it's revealed to us that David transferred his robotic consciousness to the other character. That or tell the story in a different way. I don't know. Perhaps telling the story in a different order from the end to the beginning, with a lot of flachbacks/flashfowards or something.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 18, 2019, 09:32:26 PM

Maybe they should not:

1. Have David with long hair.

2. Show us when David is trying to grab a knife.

Or...

Maybe you don't need two Michael Fassbender at all, but a robot with another appearance / sex played by another actor/actress. Then in the end, it's revealed to us that David transferred his robotic consciousness to the other character. That or tell the story in a different way. I don't know. Perhaps telling the story in a different order from the end to the beginning, with a lot of flachbacks/flashfowards or something.

As bad as the twist was, my problem was the timing, it happened too quickly.  If David transferred his consciousness into Walter, firstly how did he do it?  Would he need certain tech, and what about the time frame?  It surely would have taken a while, I mean I transfer my spotify over to my memory card and it takes forever!  If David killed Walter and took his place, he would have to cut his hair, change it's color, cut off his hand, and match all of Walter's injuries to make him look identical and change into his clothes.  The whole thing would have taken up too much time, so it's either bad writing or bad editing, or simply Ridley Scott saying 'f**k it'. 

A better way could have been David perhaps corrupting Walter throughout the course of the film, perhaps starting off from the moment the two of them met.  Or have Walter die after he gets stabbed with the flute and David takes over from there, there was no need to force a twist that the audience could see coming from a mile away

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 18, 2019, 09:32:26 PM
Maybe you don't need two Michael Fassbender at all, but a robot with another appearance / gender played by another actor/actress. Then in the end, it's revealed to us that David transferred his robotic consciousness to the other character.

You mean replace Fassbender with someone else? HOW DARE YOU?! Only Fassbender can play Fassbender's character.

Huggs

Huggs

Everything on the ship at the end was a mess. There's little that could be done to fix it, other than to completely rewrite the whole thing.

Or perhaps we see David die, then when all is over and everyone is asleep on the covenant, Walter bursts an original alien. With no David, and no control, it would either run amuck on-board or wait for the arrival on origae 6, and all the characters (including Daniel's) sail off unknowingly towards a horror show and certain death. Ferrying the devil into Eden.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Feb 18, 2019, 09:46:27 PM
As bad as the twist was, my problem was the timing, it happened too quickly.  If David transferred his consciousness into Walter, firstly how did he do it?  Would he need certain tech, and what about the time frame?  It surely would have taken a while, I mean I transfer my spotify over to my memory card and it takes forever!  If David killed Walter and took his place, he would have to cut his hair, change it's color, cut off his hand, and match all of Walter's injuries to make him look identical and change into his clothes.  The whole thing would have taken up too much time, so it's either bad writing or bad editing, or simply Ridley Scott saying 'f**k it'.

I really didn't see it as him transferring his consciousness over. I'm firmly in the camp of him having just chopped his arm off. The haircut thing was a telegraph of that intent.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2019, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Feb 18, 2019, 09:46:27 PM

I really didn't see it as him transferring his consciousness over. I'm firmly in the camp of him having just chopped his arm off. The haircut thing was a telegraph of that intent.

Yeah I'm inclined to believe that was the case, but the way it is edited is just too quick, they didn't handle the passage of time too well.  He could have replaced him earlier amidst all of the chaos instead of having that awful scene with David trying to kiss Daniels.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed