Predict Alien: Covenant Rotten Tomatoe and IMDB score!

Started by salomonj, Feb 09, 2017, 06:50:05 AM

Author
Predict Alien: Covenant Rotten Tomatoe and IMDB score! (Read 14,169 times)

Anthony

Not a problem, just think that's an odd comparison, that's all.

PsyKore

I'm confident it'll be around the 70-80% mark. There could be plot holes galore and still hit that.

NickisSmart

I feel like most people who use the word "plot holes" don't know what it means. I remember with Prometheus, one person said that David saying "36 hours" was a plot hole.

PsyKore

I wasn't speaking with particulars in mind.

NickisSmart

I wasn't saying you were. In any case, I figure the same kinds of unqualified armchair critics are going to be all over this film with a magnifying glass, misdiagnosing "plot holes" and unscientific moments, as well as generally condemning any scenes with sex in them or standard horror tropes.

Necronomicon II

It'll happen, no doubt, but if the characters are at least likable - with some memorable banter - then I suspect the pedantry will be tempered somewhat. Then again I don't think it follows that a film be faulted too heavily for lacking scientific verisimilitude when it doesn't aim for such a thing as much as delivering thrills and artistic license, but hopefully some of The Martian spills over a little in terms of technical dialogue; the atmosphere of the planet, plant life, etc.

SiL

Quote from: NickisSmart on Feb 13, 2017, 03:34:52 AM
I wasn't saying you were. In any case, I figure the same kinds of unqualified armchair critics are going to be all over this film with a magnifying glass, misdiagnosing "plot holes" and unscientific moments, as well as generally condemning any scenes with sex in them or standard horror tropes.
What qualifications do people need, exactly?

hfeldhaus

Quote from: SiL on Feb 13, 2017, 07:28:23 AM

Doctorate or at least a Masters Degree.

I do get annoyed when people used plot hole as general statement. It just reconfirm for me audience members are losing their imagination.

SiL

Genuine plot holes are genuine problems. Many people don't quite grasp what a plot hole is though.

Predaker

Unless the family research council started posting on AvPG and I missed it, I don't think anyone has complained about sex scenes themselves but how it was presented in the trailer. The shower scene just came across as campy, gratuitous, and terribly cliche but hey, it's only a trailer. Hopefully it will be handled better in the film.

At any rate... my totally scientific prediction of Alien: Covenant is 6.3-6.8 on IMDb.

nanison

I predict around 40ish% maybe if the review Gods have a good day they'll love the fan service and give it about 60%

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: SiL on Feb 13, 2017, 07:28:23 AM

They need to know what a plot hole actually is, for starters. Apart from that, being a movie buff doesn't hurt. Anyone can be a critic but only those who actually know movies would I be remotely interested in. Other perks include an open mind, and a willingness to accept a film, warts and all, and not wholly dismiss it because it infringes on some arbitrary moral boundary or personal taste. In a nutshell, to be able to determine the quality of something, to actually be able to say if it is well-made or not, and not get hung up on petty things, like sex, shower scenes, and horror tropes.

SiL

Quote from: NickisSmart on Feb 14, 2017, 10:26:59 AM
They need to know what a plot hole actually is, for starters. Apart from that, being a movie buff doesn't hurt. Anyone can be a critic but only those who actually know movies would I be remotely interested in. Other perks include an open mind, and a willingness to accept a film, warts and all, and not wholly dismiss it because it infringes on some arbitrary moral boundary or personal taste. In a nutshell, to be able to determine the quality of something, to actually be able to say if it is well-made or not, and not get hung up on petty things, like sex, shower scenes, and horror tropes.
Sex, shower scenes, and horror tropes can be genuine indications of quality depending on how they're handled. Sounds like you're saying qualifications amount to agreeing with you in the things you find are important.

NickisSmart

"Sounds like you're saying qualifications amount to agreeing with you in the things you find are important."

No, it sounds like something you said, just now. I said nothing of the kind. Whether or not it's true. Well, who knows?

Dreadlock Holiday

I predict a fresh 72% Rotten Tomatoes rating and a 7.6 IMDB score after the first week of release.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed