Discussion to begin the AVP2 Redux project

Started by gabrieloup, Mar 08, 2016, 04:29:49 PM

Author
Discussion to begin the AVP2 Redux project (Read 6,732 times)

gabrieloup

gabrieloup

To put it bluntly, I don't know how could I describe my idea. But here we go :

Basically, it would be 9 of the best AVP2 mods bundled together, and they can be run in a certain other so you'd get a bit of each experience at one go. I know that some people will be pissed off with me saying this, but let me explain this further below in a minute.

Technically, it would be an easy access to the best mods for people who don't know jack-shit about this game, or just don't care about researching about good mods hours and hours. After all, not everyone wants to play multiplayer with AJL R3 or AJL R2 L.A.B, and some people enjoy the singleplayer campaigns better.

Of course, credits would be given to each and every author, and if possible, permission from most of them. After all, it's just 9 mods, so it shouldn't be difficult to at least reach half the authors.

Now, some people will argue the following :

1.Can't the person get the mods elsewhere one by one?

2.Isn't the download size going to be big, so that it's going to take the person more time trying to get the mods at once than individually?

3.Why don't you make a mod yourself?

Counter-arguments :

1.This conflicts with the first statement I've made above. A lot of people I know are somewhat interested in playing AVP2 for the first time, but they're immediately put off by the cartoony graphics, outdated sound effects, and the simplistic gameplay. And telling them that they can download a ton of different mods at different links only worsens the situation. So, I had the idea of combining different mods to basically "remake" the game, so all the sounds, all the music, all the textures and the gameplay mechanics are altered to something that someone could consider close to an AAA game from 2006. Seriously, if you guys just saw what I played, you'd say that I was basically playing MGS3 mixed with Predator Concrete Jungle mixed with Alien Isolation mixed with Aliens Colonial Marines (if it were good). It's THAT awesome.

2.One solution : Mega.nz. The download system there is basically flawless for just this purpose. Sure, it might take a while, but there's absolutely no chances that the file will arrive corrupted or that the download will stop in the middle. Besides, the ZIP file will be compressed.

3.I think that this question is pretty interesting. Why re-invent the wheel when it already exists in form of different mods? It would take an IMMENSE amount of time that simply nobody has. Nobody ever tried to make a FULL AVP2 total conversion, and nobody ever will in such a small time span. With a team, perhaps, but even that would take ages. I think the only one who tried (tries?) to make an AVP2 "total" conversion. At the time that a new AVP2 total conversion is done, everyone who's remotely interested in the game are gone and far away. But take KingKenny in his Star Wars conversion for example. Does anyone outside of the AVP2 community even remotely care for his good stuff? No. They don't care which mods are which, they care if the mods completely change the game, and they care in how simple is it to install the mods.

Here's an example :
"Dude, I played Alien Isolation and completed it, I loved the game! Are there any similar games?"
"Sure, there's AVP2 which is one of the best Alien and Predator games ever"
"Cool! I want to check it out" *few minutes later* "ehhh it's cool and all but the visuals and sounds are a bit dated, but it's interesting that the game is now shovelware for free and maybe I'll get it. Is there a way to make the game look better?"
Now here's where the conversation can steer in two different directions.
"Sure, you can download this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this and this and install them all."
"Oh, okay. Well, thanks anyway."
"You're welcome!"
Then you never see that guy again, OR :
"Sure, there's a modpack that someone compiled with includes the best AVP2 mods in one package. Here's a video of it. If you're interested, you can download the entire package in this link. It includes a really easy install system. Go check it out"
"Thanks dude!"
Then you'll MAYBE see the guy playing AVP2 and liking it.

Don't believe me? Look at what happened with Brutal Doom. Everyone in the mainstream was uninterested in Doom, it was often called boring, shitty and outdated (and, it really is to this day), but when Brutal Doom appeared... BAM! Doom is the best game ever and shits Halo. And now, even a shitload of famous YouTubers want to play it.

I'm not saying my plan WILL work that way, but at least give it a shot. I don't intend lame channels like PewDiePie to suddenly get interested in AVP2, but at least get people who did like the modern Alien/Predator games like AVP2010 and Alien Isolation to give AVP2 a shot.

If you have any questions about this, please reply the topic.

x-M-x

It's been tried many times and failed many times, but if you wanna try it? GO FOR IT ! ;)

And i hope it will have 'KAZE MOD'

Randomizer

Under the Hunter's Moon is a must have !  :P

gabrieloup

gabrieloup

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 08, 2016, 04:58:28 PM
It's been tried many times and failed many times, but if you wanna try it? GO FOR IT ! ;)

And i hope it will have 'KAZE MOD'
What's the Kaze mod exactly? I never heard of it and I didn't see any videos or screenshots on the internet of it either.

Quote from: Randomizer on Mar 08, 2016, 05:02:10 PM
Sadly, it's not going to be in the initial mod pack. The main mod pack is focused on changing the entire singleplayer experience. However, a second pack isn't impossible though, one that would be focused on custom singleplayer maps, with stuff like Hostile Appetite and Under the Hunter's Moon with custom textures and sounds. I have no interest in making a third pack for multiplayer, though, due to the different mods such as AJL, Paypack Time, L.A.B and vanilla multiplayer. It would take multiple mod packs to achieve something that the user himself could easily choose. Besides, the people who want to play the multiplayer are usually devoted fans, not newcomers. I'm aiming for newcomers with the main mod pack, but that's not to mean that veteran players won't enjoy having 9 mods running at once, with all textures, sounds, and gameplay features changed. It's f**kin' awesome and sometime I'm going to upload a video to demonstrate you guys what it is. Believe me, this is the closest thing to an AJL R3 running in singleplayer, and more. It's like AvP2 New N' Tasty.

The only new custom singeplayer maps are the ones featured in the Star Wars mod by KingKenny, and 8 new multiplayer maps, 4 from the Star Wars mod, and the other 4 from the VIP mod. However, as I said, it is NOT focused on multiplayer. It's singleplayer-minded. I think that there's more than enough mods that focuses on the multiplayer aspect exclusively, and installation of these mods are quick and effective. It would take multiple mod packs to address each famous multiplayer server gametype, it's a ridiculous amount of effort for just too little, when the user can just literally download two links (AVP 2007 texture pack with AJL R3, AJL R2 L.A.B or whichever he prefers) to address their own personal multiplayer need. But as I said, I will perhaps address a second mod pack with at least 6 of the best singleplayer maps (preferably ones that take place inside the AVP/Alien/Predator universe, and I only know about two or three) bundled with AVP TypeN (for enhanced skins and HUDs), AvP 2007 Texture Pack and some good sound mod. Heck, at this point, I'm even thinking of bundling UMP2 with the second mod pack, along with the other update. But first, I must test the primary mod pack further (by completing all singleplayer missions successfully and see that it doesn't crash) to even consider starting a second one, build a credits list, start asking for permission for each author (at least 5 or 6 different authors), make cool trailers about the mod pack, and finally, know where to put the Mega.nz link.

All I'm saying is, let's be a little less hasty here. The reason why I made the main topic is to see the reaction of the main community first, and get approval and interest. THEN I'll start hunting sheep around and make my magic. I'm saying this because last time I've made something similar in the Thievery UT community (a mod for Unreal Tournament 99), the community got pissed off like shit, but plenty of newcomers actually got to play the mod for the first time and liked it. They should be thanking me for saving their community. I'm not saying that this community is dying or whatever, but the game is getting an intense decline thanks to shit "modern retro" reviewers and other fanboy bile. I want people who like Alien and Predator to try AVP2, even if it's too late. I want them to remember what a great game this is, not what other reviewers and fanboys tell them to remember as, and certainly not what 20th Century Fox wants you to remember as. Because, oh wait, they don't want you to. They want you to buy the AVP 2010 game and stick with it for the rest of your life until they decide to stop marketing Predator and Alien with respectively themed DLCs in games like Call of Duty and Mortal Kombat. Literally, Alien Isolation has been the only awesome Alien game since AVP2.

Randomizer

Quote from: gabrieloup on Mar 08, 2016, 05:21:05 PM
Sadly, it's not going to be in the initial mod pack. The main mod pack is focused on changing the entire singleplayer experience. However, a second pack isn't ...

I see.

While I'm not really expecting the numbers to increase that much for the AvP2 community, it's a good idea and you should go along with it.

gabrieloup

gabrieloup

Quote from: Randomizer on Mar 08, 2016, 07:48:39 PM
Sadly, it's not going to be in the initial mod pack. The main mod pack is focused on changing the entire singleplayer experience. However, a second pack isn't ...

I see.

While I'm not really expecting the numbers to increase that much for the AvP2 community, it's a good idea and you should go along with it.
Alright, since there hasn't been any sort of objections thus far, I decided to give the project a GO. In the meanwhile, here's a video of all 9 mods running at once. They are AVP 2007 Texture Pack, Star Wars Mod, Bloody Tears Pack, Projam 4.4, VIP Mod, Heat Glow Mod, Donuts Complete Music Mod, AVP Classic Sound Pack and AVP 2010 Mod. Credits list already finished and I'm soon enough going to chase down the authors for permission. Of course, not all of them can be reached, though. So let's take this with a grain of salt. On the other hand, I'm searching for the AVP Mecha Mod since I heard it changes the campaign dialogue, but I'm not sure if it's REALLY worth it though. Until I'm COMPLETELY sure that it's finished and that I have replacement mods IN CASE a certain mod author doesn't authorize a mod, I'm leaving the task of contacting authors for later.

Please reply your thoughts on the video here.

https://youtu.be/HulRGyR0aVg

By the way, I finally came up with the idea of a name for the mod pack. I'm thinking of calling it AVP2 Redux. It worked the first time around, it should work the second time. You see, in Google and YouTube, if you search anything with the term "Remake", it also searches for anything named "Redux". Besides, the name sounds cool and I bet there's people who have been waiting for an AVP2 Redux since the first one for AVP Classic 2000. I prefer the term a lot more than "Remake" and "Remastered", since it's not really a "Remake" per see and instead it's more like as if Monolith decided to update AVP2 again, and it isn't really a "remaster" since it changes a lot of the gameplay mechanics, and besides, the name's a bit ugly and it's overused as shit, so people think "jew scam" when they see "remastered", even AcidGlow thinks that way.

The advantages are pretty clear; this is becoming sort of a brand at this stage. People who search for AVP Redux will probably also find AVP2 Redux at the same time, and it's quite clear for people that it's a complete remake of the entire game using only 9 mods, and if you wish, you can customize your experience to your flavor, so if you miss playing with melee spears and the Pred Pistol, you can just forget about putting "-rez custom/AVP2010.rez" in the command line and play with the VIP mod or PROJAM 4, or even combine both.

Dunno if the mod is going to be Primal Hunt compatible, though, I'm going to test that out later, since I started fresh in AVP2 since three weeks ago since my old computer broke, and I lost my Primal Hunt pirate install. Someday I'm gonna download that shieet and see myself. I think that at least one of the mods (AVP2010.rez) won't be compatible with Primal Hunt, but that's something to see and behold.

Lucifero

Lucifero

dear Gabriel
"I decided to give the project a GO."

He has never fascinated me this mod maybe because have the same name of a game that I never liked (avp2010).
anyway I never tried to do to run this mod on primal hunt, I think it was designed for the classic AVP2.
keep in mind that many mod made for AVP2 can also work on primal hunt,
but in general all give some anomalies.

I see.

good intentions do not always create good things.
i miss old time of Hunter's Moon mod I have good memories from it expecially for multiplayer but
the problem in 2016 of AvP2 community i its simply broke.

/     We thank you, oh Monolith, for revealing the cunning plans of your enemies to us.
     May your light shine down on the souls of the brave soldiers who gave their lives in service to your will.
     Onward warriors of the Monolith, avenge your fallen brothers, blessed as they are in their eternal union with the Monolith.
     Bring death to those who spurned the holy power of the Monolith !

curious that this idea will be precisely coincide today 09/03/2016 2:59 Total Eclipse. North 6:32 18:10
http://luirig.altervista.org/calendario/eclsol.htm

http://it.euronews.com/2016/03/09/indonesiani-estasiati-davanti-all-eclissi-totale-di-sole/
for next total eclipse we need to wait 21.08.2017 19:27 Total Eclipse. Northern 05/24 19:01

end is near

Olde

Olde

Except there already is an AVP2 Redux Mod: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=52185.0

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The AVP Classic 2000 Redux mod applied 1024x1024 and occasionally 2048x2048 size textures to a game that used 128x128 (and, very rarely, 256x256) size textures. It used models from AVP2010 and I'm sure supports graphical resolutions higher than 1920x1080. When AVPC2K Redux came out in 2011/2012, it basically looked a couple years shy of contemporary. Now, you're talking about a mod that makes a game from 2001 look like it's from 2006...yay? 2006 is still 10 years ago. So you basically want a game to look 10 years old instead of 15. And you expect to get people who are used to A:I and A:CM into this?

All those old mods are, well, just that: old. And while I'm a fan of preserving stuff and even using them when they get stuff right, I don't see it as forward progress to make a mod pack solely generated out of old stuff. If you like it and it works for you, great! If you want to make it public, even better! But I'm not sure what you're asking the community for. Permission? Help? I highly doubt anyone's going to want to seriously spend time helping you make an oldie look slightly less old, if you catch my drift. That video doesn't exactly help your cause much; I'll admit it does look slightly better than vanilla, but at best it looks like maybe 2004. If you want to see a friggin' mod worth doing, check this out:

THAT is something to shit yourself over (too bad it's FOX'd). But a mod pack with graphics as minimally updated as the one you showed will get a lukewarm reception at best. And actually I already have problems with the video because it features stuff ripped straight from other games (AVP2010 menu, Primal Hunt stock image menu, AVP99 death screams, etc.). Like I said, as a personal hobby I think it's great and you should do it. But don't expect tons of help on this, and I don't think you should see this as something as major as you might think.

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 09, 2016, 08:33:17 AMgood intentions do not always create good things.
Jesus Christ there must be planets in alignment or something because I don't think I've ever agreed with Lucy this much on something before.

gabrieloup

gabrieloup

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 09, 2016, 08:33:17 AM
dear Gabriel
"I decided to give the project a GO."
http://i.imgur.com/uU86TLt.gif
He has never fascinated me this mod maybe because have the same name of a game that I never liked (avp2010).
anyway I never tried to do to run this mod on primal hunt, I think it was designed for the classic AVP2.
keep in mind that many mod made for AVP2 can also work on primal hunt,
but in general all give some anomalies.

I see.

i miss old time of Hunter's Moon mod I have good memories from it expecially for multiplayer but

/     We thank you, oh Monolith, for revealing the cunning plans of your enemies to us.
     May your light shine down on the souls of the brave soldiers who gave their lives in service to your will.
     Onward warriors of the Monolith, avenge your fallen brothers, blessed as they are in their eternal union with the Monolith.
     Bring death to those who spurned the holy power of the Monolith !

curious that this idea will be precisely coincide today 09/03/2016 2:59 Total Eclipse. North 6:32 18:10
http://luirig.altervista.org/calendario/eclsol.htm

http://it.euronews.com/2016/03/09/indonesiani-estasiati-davanti-all-eclissi-totale-di-sole/
for next total eclipse we need to wait 21.08.2017 19:27 Total Eclipse. Northern 05/24 19:01

end is near
The AVP2010 mod is quite good, you should give it a try. But even if you don't like it, as I said, AVP2 Redux is COMPLETELY customizable, so you're free NOT to load it if you wish, and instead you can load PROJAM 4 or VIP I guess. The only problem with the PROJAM 4 mod is that some of the levels are literally impossible to complete as a Predator without cheats since the Ancient Predator (the Pred you play as in the main campaign with the mod) isn't able to jump high enough, so you must either "sixthsense" out of the situation or "mpmorph Predator" and play as the normal Predator with the vanilla jump height. And the VIP mod isn't really ideal for playing as a Predator since it's quite clunky and hard to get used to, but if you do get used to it, it's pretty f**king good. All mods are good for the rest of the species, though.

Quote from: Olde on Mar 09, 2016, 09:35:53 AM
Except there already is an AVP2 Redux Mod: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=52185.0

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The AVP Classic 2000 Redux mod applied 1024x1024 and occasionally 2048x2048 size textures to a game that used 128x128 (and, very rarely, 256x256) size textures. It used models from AVP2010 and I'm sure supports graphical resolutions higher than 1920x1080. When AVPC2K Redux came out in 2011/2012, it basically looked a couple years shy of contemporary. Now, you're talking about a mod that makes a game from 2001 look like it's from 2006...yay? 2006 is still 10 years ago. So you basically want a game to look 10 years old instead of 15. And you expect to get people who are used to A:I and A:CM into this?

All those old mods are, well, just that: old. And while I'm a fan of preserving stuff and even using them when they get stuff right, I don't see it as forward progress to make a mod pack solely generated out of old stuff. If you like it and it works for you, great! If you want to make it public, even better! But I'm not sure what you're asking the community for. Permission? Help? I highly doubt anyone's going to want to seriously spend time helping you make an oldie look slightly less old, if you catch my drift. That video doesn't exactly help your cause much; I'll admit it does look slightly better than vanilla, but at best it looks like maybe 2004. If you want to see a friggin' mod worth doing, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7m5cRX3q2M

THAT is something to shit yourself over (too bad it's FOX'd). But a mod pack with graphics as minimally updated as the one you showed will get a lukewarm reception at best. And actually I already have problems with the video because it features stuff ripped straight from other games (AVP2010 menu, Primal Hunt stock image menu, AVP99 death screams, etc.). Like I said, as a personal hobby I think it's great and you should do it. But don't expect tons of help on this, and I don't think you should see this as something as major as you might think.

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 09, 2016, 08:33:17 AMgood intentions do not always create good things.
Jesus Christ there must be planets in alignment or something because I don't think I've ever agreed with Lucy this much on something before.
Cool profile pic.
As I said, this is not going to be in NEARLY the same level as the actual AVP Redux mod for Classic 2000. Nor do I expect it to have the same kind of attention. The AVP2 engine is extremely unforgivable for modeling, so even the "AVP Graphics Redux" mod are simply reskins for character models (so far) which quite frankly a dumpload of people already did this. Most notably, the PROJAM Project, the AJL mods, and so on. Simply put it : modeling characters for this game is hard as hell and nobody's even SLIGHTLY interested in that. Hell, I WISH we were able to have models from, like, Alien Isolation, AVP2010 and other games running here, that would be awesome, but what about the maps? All the maps would need to be reworked so that they look good as well. AVP Classic SOMEHOW has really good level design in it's maps, and they look quite good even in vanilla, and AVP Redux aimed to improve what was faulty about the original game : the textures and models. Nothing else. You don't see new sounds, you don't see new gameplay mechanics, nothing. AVP2 Redux on the other hand, changes EVERYTHING. Soon enough, I'm even thinking of implementing a whole new Marine character dialogue system that spreads across ALL the campaign, thanks to the MechaMod.

AVP2 isn't criticized because of the graphics alone (even though they are a bit criticized because they were too cartoony, and I agree) or the sound design (which was one of the points people LOVED about AVP2), but the gameplay itself is generally disliked by members of the internet, especially in comparisons of the first game to the second game. And they're right for the most part; the Predator and Marine weapons were extremely nerfed (to the point that a Plasma Caster feels like a pea shooter, and that the Pulse Rifle is a water gun without staggering) and the Alien was upped to 11. Hell, it's not even an Alien anymore, it's a Super-Alien, being able to fly around, instantly exploding bodies on touch. All of this is completely GONE in the mod. Do you know what that means? GONE! I studied recent Predator and Alien games, and by mixing different mods in a particular order, I managed to find a specific sweet spot for each and every species. Now, the Marine levels are hard and scary as f**k, just like in the first game, the Alien levels feel like you're playing Alien Isolation but from the Alien perspective except that you're vulnerable this time around, and the Predator levels feel like Predator Concrete Jungle in every sense of the meaning.

After all, as I said, if Brutal Doom was able to attract HALO fanboys and even famous YouTubers (one of the most stubborn piece of shit communities around the internet), a mod that was also focused on reviving what was once a shovelware at the time, why wouldn't AVP2 Redux attract people who generally liked Alien Isolation and ARE interested in having more? I'm not saying that I want every teen PewDiePie watcher to play AVP2, hell, I SURE AS HELL DON'T WANT THAT, but at least I want people to dust off that dirty AVP2 DVD case and boot up the install, or pirate the game, and try the game once again in a quite different way. Again, I didn't say that my scheme WILL work, but at least I want to try as hard as possible. At least, I tried, instead of insisting on cheap, unoriginal and futile shit as making Brutal Doom sub-mods or Minecraft mods, which just suck.
(By the way, I didn't say Brutal Doom sub-mods suck, I said that making them sucks since some other asshole is going to rip you off and make a "better" sub-mod in two minutes, then the next one does the same to him and vice versa, because it's a boring race for popularity, which is why they update their f**king mods every 5 minutes with the excuse they found a new bug but they actually found their mod dropped a view in statistics from yesterday)

EDIT : I forgot to address your point on the AVM project. Well, making an AVP2 remake in another engine would ABSOLUTELY get me FOX'd. No way I could escape from that. Hell, even Shadow Moses, a remake of MGS1 in UE4 got shut down by Konami. However, as you can see

You made an interesting reply and I congratulate you for having at least some criticism on this topic, from a different point of view. I'm not asking for help in this, in fact I'm going to do this all alone as I always have. Last time I tried something similar with Half-Life, with a mod called Ultra Brutal Half-Life, it worked. TONS of people dusted off their Half-Life copies and played the mod. Eventually it got shut down thanks to the asshole community, but it worked better than Brutal Half-Life. Brutal Half-Life by itself was criticized due to poorly implemented gameplay mechanics and weird sounds (referring to the Doom sounds) that appear in the game, and the lack of graphical improvement and any new music tracks. I've done all of this by myself and people kissed my feet for it. Eventually, this got me banned from ModDB since some users were pissed off that their mods weren't getting as popular as mine. If I updated UBHL with one new line of text, the mod INSTANTLY gets top 1 spot on Half-Life 1 mods. You can call whatever you want; unoriginal, copied, whatever. Credits were there, permission was asked and so on and so fourth, and the game got popular again. When the mod died, Half-Life ModDB died in popularity. Nobody visits it anymore, even when Brutal Half-Life got a Mod of the Year there. Nobody even remotely TALKS about Brutal Half-Life. And when gggmanlives ripped Brutal Half-Life a new one in his mod review, that was the final nail in the coffin. Same thing happened to Unreal Tournament Thievery Mod, same thing happened with a Call of Duty 4 mod called Charlie Oscar Delta which I've made 3 years ago. Of course, Charlie Oscar Delta failed and I'm going to avoid everything that I've done wrong with that mod, which was also a singleplayer total conversion of CoD4, addressing common issues with it such as lack of realism and poor graphics, but the way I showed it to the internet was complete shit. I plan to avoid all the mistakes I've done with that in AVP2 Redux.

Randomizer

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 09, 2016, 08:33:17 AM

I see.

Give him a chance. He's got nothing to lose.

KingKenny

Hi Gabriel,

Or is it Gabrieloup? Anyways, I see what you are trying to do here and honestly this has been done before by someone else.

The difference is, this other person (who I will not name or give publicity to) did the same exact thing in compiling all these mods, except he never credited the authors and claimed the mod as his own work. The "rip mod" was taken down off of Moddb when it was brought to attention. Unfortunately it is still listed on one other lesser known website.

While I appreciate the kind words, I don't want my Star Wars mod included in a public release of this for several reasons.

1. The Star Wars mod is made to be a total conversion. This would basically be deconstructing my total conversion to include it into another total conversion.

2. I'm still working on a version 2.0 of the Star Wars mod where I'm re-texturing the rest of the game (ie the maps themselves). Here is an old preview of it http://avpunknown.com/kingskins/SW_WT.html I've added A LOT more since then and yes its been in progress for 10 years. Hey, its exhausting for 1 person to re-texture an entire game.

3. The Star Wars mod had contributions from other authors (RaptorRed, HHO, Artalavista and Coty). I can't ok their contributions to be included. They only gave permission for me to use their contributions and UMP2 (for the maps).

4. This kinda doesn't make sense when you look at the video. The predator heat vision shows Weyland Yutani troops in heat vision and electro vision. Then when it changes to pred tech vision it show sith cultists. That's a lack of continuity don't you think?

If you were planning to make a bundle of a bunch of mods you like and keep all the mods entact in their original zip or rar files (like a folder containing 10 different separate mods), I would ok my Star Wars mod with no issue whatsoever. However, I don't want to see it taken apart.

I don't mean to be Captain buzzkill. Sorry. If there is another one of my mods you want to use, I'd be more willing to add it. Just let me know.

Olde

I think I overlooked where you said it would be a single-player mod only. I personally have no problem with you creating your own mod out of other people's stuff as long as they're credited and it's only for the single-player campaign. However, if there's to be a multiplayer component, that's really a different story and changes things greatly.

gabrieloup

gabrieloup

Quote from: KingKenny on Mar 10, 2016, 03:13:04 AM
Hi Gabriel,

Or is it Gabrieloup? Anyways, I see what you are trying to do here and honestly this has been done before by someone else.

The difference is, this other person (who I will not name or give publicity to) did the same exact thing in compiling all these mods, except he never credited the authors and claimed the mod as his own work. The "rip mod" was taken down off of Moddb when it was brought to attention. Unfortunately it is still listed on one other lesser known website.

While I appreciate the kind words, I don't want my Star Wars mod included in a public release of this for several reasons.

1. The Star Wars mod is made to be a total conversion. This would basically be deconstructing my total conversion to include it into another total conversion.

2. I'm still working on a version 2.0 of the Star Wars mod where I'm re-texturing the rest of the game (ie the maps themselves). Here is an old preview of it http://avpunknown.com/kingskins/SW_WT.html I've added A LOT more since then and yes its been in progress for 10 years. Hey, its exhausting for 1 person to re-texture an entire game.

3. The Star Wars mod had contributions from other authors (RaptorRed, HHO, Artalavista and Coty). I can't ok their contributions to be included. They only gave permission for me to use their contributions and UMP2 (for the maps).

4. This kinda doesn't make sense when you look at the video. The predator heat vision shows Weyland Yutani troops in heat vision and electro vision. Then when it changes to pred tech vision it show sith cultists. That's a lack of continuity don't you think?

If you were planning to make a bundle of a bunch of mods you like and keep all the mods entact in their original zip or rar files (like a folder containing 10 different separate mods), I would ok my Star Wars mod with no issue whatsoever. However, I don't want to see it taken apart.

I don't mean to be Captain buzzkill. Sorry. If there is another one of my mods you want to use, I'd be more willing to add it. Just let me know.
All the mods are left in their original state. That is, nothing is being "deconstructed". unlike that horrible excuse for a "mod" (Xenomorphs Contra Yautja). The video is running all 9 mods at once, with command lines at startup. So it's not like Xenomorphs Contra Yautja where everything's glued in a messy folder. Not that way. So if anyone want to play Star Wars mod alone, people can. It's a completely customizable experience. I'd like you to please reconsider my offer, because I'd really, really want to include the Star Wars mod into the package since I f**kin' love it a lot. And when the 2.0 version comes out, I'd LOVE to include it in AVP2 Redux. I think the only issue, as you said, is contacting the other authors. But then again, I don't think it's such a big deal considering that it's just a re-packaging of different mods, their contributions are small, and they're getting credited for it anyhow. Think of  AVP2 Redux as if it were an "alternate link" to the best mods. However, if you think that's such a big deal then I'll go ask them. Do know that most of the authors in the mods simply don't respond for some reason, so it's a bit nerve-wrecking to keep waiting for an answer while your other half says "he's not going to say anything" and the other half says "you gotta wait". I'm not stealing the mods, unlike the author of Xenomorphs Contra Yautja, and I'm not repackaging things without credits. I need the essential permissions, though. You're the leader of the Star Wars TC mod for AVP2, you're supposed to deal with permission asking, not everyone who's in your project. If we'd go in details about everything, then I'd have to very kindly ask 20th Century Fox for their permission for all the audio and music as well, and kindly wait to get my ass kicked. Removing the mod from the AVP2 Redux project is like removing Duke Nukem from Duke Nukem and replace him with that douchebag from Ride to Hell Retribution. It's not nearly as fun.

Quote from: Olde on Mar 10, 2016, 10:09:11 AM
I think I overlooked where you said it would be a single-player mod only. I personally have no problem with you creating your own mod out of other people's stuff as long as they're credited and it's only for the single-player campaign. However, if there's to be a multiplayer component, that's really a different story and changes things greatly.
Well, the multiplayer component works and everything, but I doubt people would host online matches with them, since vanilla AVP2 and AJL R3 is vastly more popular.

x-M-x

So you're running 9 mods at once via rez command? no doubt there will be massive conflicts.

While one thing works, the other might not. (seems like your gonna run unto a lot of trouble)

gabrieloup

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 10, 2016, 12:24:28 PM
So you're running 9 mods at once via rez command? no doubt there will be massive conflicts.

While one thing works, the other might not. (seems like your gonna run unto a lot of trouble)
Nope, no conflicts at all. The most that happens is that two models (the marine grenadier and the APE suits) are pretty buggy, but that's because of the Star Wars mod. I don't mind that since it's a good tradeoff since I get a load of new effects. However, if anyone begins biting nails and loosing hair because of it, they can simply disable toe Star Wars mod and enjoy vanilla particles and effects.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed