Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film

Started by aliens13, Apr 09, 2019, 05:24:37 PM

Author
Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film (Read 30,345 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Apr 13, 2019, 07:37:12 AMI was actually impressed with the subtle facehugger at the beginning -- then nope, here it is for everyone who missed it.

Lol yeah I thought that too.

morseman

Ach.... third episode trying to emulate another Ripley, damnit stop trying to recreate a female archetype that becomes a a bland cardboard copy!!! >(
Ripley appeal was that she was a solid character not the fact that she was a woman!!! Argh sorry rant over. These shorts are getting frustrating with their lack of evolving ideas, this one was agonisingly on the nose about everything to do with the horror, shame really like others have said the slice of life bits are great

Drukathi

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 13, 2019, 01:26:30 AM
The shot of the facehugger could've been left to keeping it just out of focus.
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 13, 2019, 01:26:30 AM
The shot that we ended up getting felt kind of amateurish.

Agree. I could not understand how I felt it, exactly - amateurish.

But I like Night Shift more than Containment. Chestburster good. Actors too. I like the barn - because I like horrors in such places.

HuDaFuK

One thing I will say - I got a kick out of the mention of Aspen beer.

These shorts have been doing a pretty good job with the references so far.

The Old One

The Old One

It's alright. Serviceable.

Fatboy40

Worst of the three so far, and why the heck was it so dark most of the time (AVP:R levels of poor lighting).

Salamand3r64

Salamand3r64

As a life long Alien fan I thought this episode was terrible. Really tropey with no suspense.

SiL

The lighting was fine, I think that was mostly the grade and compression.

SuperiorIronman

This short feels like it's a condensed version of a larger story.
Sure that's kind of the point with the shorts, but Specimen managed to do everything it needed to do within 10 minutes whereas this short actually doesn't feel like its done. 

I think I know what's wrong with the emotional issue here though..., the camera is in the wrong spot.

See if you can't get your actors there emotionally then you focus on the chest bursting and you can record the freakouts or dub them over later. Inter-cut that with people moving to get the medical kit, the guy freaking out and trying to save his friend, and the older guy trying to keep the victim elevated and then BOOM burster. We cut to the burster rising out of the guy and maybe to sell the guy freaking out the thing turns to the victim's friend to get him to pull the gun.

That's my half-assed way of editing that scene but as-is, the shot feels like its being shown on a stage and that doesn't work because you then need all your actors facing a certain direction and they'll essentially keep themselves contained to that area. It's basically the rule of "always face the audience" and because they aren't cutting, the actors aren't allowed to have their big moments. They have to look good at all angles and without the cut you can't see how personal it is for them, their just freaking out and can't have that emotional moment because you gotta do it all in one take.

Also is it just me or did anybody else imagine the chestburster was riding a skateboard when it was coming towards the camera? That was way too smooth for the distance it had to cover and how quickly it did it.

XenoHunter99

Now, it seems every W-Y ship and facility comes with its own supply of xeno eggs.  ::) They wouldn't be building better worlds for very long with that sort of problem.  :laugh:

Jess

At the 8.44 minute, is that an alien clicking or does it sound like a predator??

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 13, 2019, 01:27:59 PM
Also is it just me or did anybody else imagine the chestburster was riding a skateboard when it was coming towards the camera?

No, but I am now!  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

A lost RB-232 shipment perhaps?
I'd really like to know when, where and how all the Tongal Alien occurrences began myself.

Perfect-Organism

SM will have the shorts arranged in the timeline soon, along with the birth dates of the characters.  It's his destiny.   ;D

Dingbat

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 13, 2019, 03:41:22 PM
SM will have the shorts arranged in the timeline soon, along with the birth dates of the characters.  It's his destiny.   ;D
The problem for me was the sound, I had to put it on twice the volume of a normal movie in order to hear a single line of dialogue, apart from that, I had a nice time.

I also want to know the official timeline for when I do the next chronological rewatch.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed