Alien Anthology Discussion

Started by AVP66, Feb 19, 2009, 04:11:42 PM

Author
Alien Anthology Discussion (Read 361,585 times)

Cellien

Cellien

I shoulda waited.   :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It was worth every  penny of that 40 quid. No regrets.

Also does anyone have a Blu-ray drive and can take screencaps?

Vulhala

Vulhala

May I just say how much bringing this out on Bluray has reignited by burning hatred and feelings of betrayal towards the format.

why do you hate bluray so much?

Vulhala

Vulhala

Because it doesn't work basically. All Bluray Disks are encoded in 24hz, meaning that you need a TV and a Bluray player that can display a signal in 24hz or a multiple of it, or you get noticeable 'judder' when there is a pan shot, like the movie is sticking. As of right now, it's really only projectors that can display them properly, and having spent £600 on a TV, £300 on a PS3 and £250 on a surround sound kit, I don't feel I should have to pay out extra.

They're essentially something that is already broken, and although Sony could patch the PS3 to convert 24hz, they haven't in the 3 years the console has been out, so they probably never will. Sky HD on the other hand, cost me £60 a month, and displays everything in 50hz. The picture difference is immense. I have Inception on Bluray, but I still paid out to get it from box office when I watched it for the first time because I knew the picture problems from the Bluray would ruin my enjoyment of the film.

Quote from: Vulhala on Dec 16, 2010, 11:09:09 AM
Because it doesn't work basically. All Bluray Disks are encoded in 24hz, meaning that you need a TV and a Bluray player that can display a signal in 24hz or a multiple of it, or you get noticeable 'judder' when there is a pan shot, like the movie is sticking. As of right now, it's really only projectors that can display them properly, and having spent £600 on a TV, £300 on a PS3 and £250 on a surround sound kit, I don't feel I should have to pay out extra.

They're essentially something that is already broken, and although Sony could patch the PS3 to convert 24hz, they haven't in the 3 years the console has been out, so they probably never will. Sky HD on the other hand, cost me £60 a month, and displays everything in 50hz. The picture difference is immense. I have Inception on Bluray, but I still paid out to get it from box office when I watched it for the first time because I knew the picture problems from the Bluray would ruin my enjoyment of the film.

i've never noticed that, however i do notice exactly the same issue you describe on upscaled DVDs sometimes

Vulhala

Vulhala

Pop Aliens in and watch the pan shot scene of the Sulaco on the way to LV426. I actually skip that part when I watch it as it pisses me off so much.

What size TV do you have BTW?

a 32 inch (Samsung), so i guess it's not as noticable as it is on your bigger screen. (i hope yours is bigger, because if you spent £600 on a 32in, you were either ripped off or you are visiting us from the year 2003

Vulhala

Vulhala

Nah, it's 46in  :D

i wish i had room for a 46in TV :D my 32 spans the space between my desk and a chest of drawers, with no room to spare :(

Vulhala

Vulhala

If I'm honest, it's way to big for my living room. It looks ridiculous  :D

nice ;D

i still occasionally enter competitions to win big TV's god forbid i ever won, i'd be in so much trouble, i'd probably have to sell it :(

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I can't say I have a problem with it. I'm only wondering why I never brought a player earlier. I'm extremely impressed.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Vulhala on Dec 16, 2010, 11:09:09 AM

I am a total idiot when it comes to specs like these, so could you say it again; in idiot language so that I can understand? :D

Vulhala

Vulhala

European TV's all support 50hz playback as standard, and therefore all TV signals and R2 DVD's are locked to display at that native format. Regionless BluRays run at 24hz and mutiples thereof (48hz, 72hz etc), which few TV's here fully support. What happens is, during playback, the PS3 BluRay player has to repeat one frame every cycle, as the TV needs that extra frame to display correctly. Which makes the picture noticeably 'judder' during pan shots.

It's the fault of the PS3. There's no reaon why it shouldn't be able to display 24hz correctly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed