AvPGalaxy Interviews Wayne Haag, Alien: Covenant Concept Artist - AvPGalaxy Podcast #42

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 14, 2016, 09:14:01 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews Wayne Haag, Alien: Covenant Concept Artist - AvPGalaxy Podcast #42 (Read 36,951 times)

Enoch

Enoch

Wayne mentioned Böcklin influences on landscape and "Paradise" look more
than a few times. Whats your take on this matter, in what way Böcklin 's art
could have influenced Covenant landscape look and overall visuals?
We shouldn't forget the fact that Giger himself was pretty interested in Böcklin's works!

QuoteBöcklin started out as a naturalist with strong romantic affiliations, often seeking otherworldly effects in his solidly painted landscapes through eerie light-and-shade patterns and the occasional introduction of mythological figures, usually going about their business with dismaying vitality. To an increasing degree, Bocklin stressed the oneiric (dreaming elements) and the supernatural; yet the deportment of his figures always gives the impression of casual ease. Jules Laforgue made this point when commenting on works by Böcklin he had seen during a stay in Germany: "One remains stunned by this sense of unity in the dream, this self-blinding in regard to the fantastic, this impeccable naturalness in the supernatural.

Maybe its that, maybe Ridley wanted to show some unreal things but he wanted them to stay realistic... they are at the same time unreal, dreamlike, fantastic but at the same time very real and possible! Monsters are real.

Bocklin, Prometheus

*You can see that light and shade pattern on painting above, as well on his most famous work - Isle of Death!

Scorpio

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 15, 2016, 05:45:39 PM

Some things Im excited to hear were the heavy influence of Broklin on the Paradise landscapes.

Who is Broklin?  ???

Darkness

Wonderful podcast. He ended up saying a lot more about his time on Covenant then I expected him to. He has a wicked sense of humour too. His signing off line had me chuckling.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Enoch on Nov 15, 2016, 06:52:28 PM

Bocklin, Prometheus

Am I the only one getting some flashbacks to the cliff-side at Milford Sound?

Enoch

Enoch

No, you are not... :)

DaveT937

Really, really enjoyed this. Wayne is quite the character!

I wonder what that one word he withheld was, on the unifying theme running throughout the film.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Enoch

Enoch

We have to wait and see... then we could guess what that word was.

I would say: Godlike :laugh:

Better thing to guess, which of David's sentences (from Prometheus) Wayne
spoke about?

Lets start:

1. Big things have small beginnings
2. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing.
3. Sometimes to create, one must first destroy.
4.  I suppose I'll be free.
5. Doesn't everyone want their parents dead?
6.OTHER

CainsSon

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 15, 2016, 08:18:49 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 15, 2016, 05:45:39 PM

Some things Im excited to hear were the heavy influence of Broklin on the Paradise landscapes.

Who is Broklin?  ???

Sorry its spelled Bocklin.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Great podcost Hicks! Wayne was terrific and it was really wonderful of him to answer our questions.

I liked his thoughts on the engineers stealing the the tehnology.

Still sad that Ridley has mostly abandoneded the Giger look for the engineer civilization.

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 15, 2016, 10:05:13 AM
Prometheus was Giger-esque in a sense that it had similar patterns but it looks so obviously not. I think that blend of patterns and a suitably looking material is what you really need.

Corporal - When you were discussing wanting to see a Giger-planet with him, doesnt he mention that there is 'something like' a Giger landscape in this film?

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: DaveT937 on Nov 15, 2016, 09:29:35 PM
I wonder what that one word he withheld was, on the unifying theme running throughout the film.

Any thoughts on what it could be?
That was one of my questions. Having this question on my mind, I grasped onto a word that Carmen Ejogo used in a recent interview: "transformative." Ejogo said hers and Rapace's characters
Spoiler
have a "transformative" character arc.
[close]

Necronomicon II

Doesn't he say that there'll be "something like" a Giger landscape? I'm drooling at the thought.

Promethean Fire

Really intrigued by this quote around the 44min mark with regards to where the film is set -

"They land on the planet, they take off from the planet and they go back to the Covenant"

Does this mean that the structure of the film adheres roughly to the original ALIEN?  With the latter half of the film being a return to the claustrophobia of the original, on board a spaceship with no means of escape.  Katherine Waterstone's quote about being chased by "enormous aliens in a cumbersome spacesuit" also seems to back this up.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 16, 2016, 05:37:51 AM
Corporal - When you were discussing wanting to see a Giger-planet with him, doesnt he mention that there is 'something like' a Giger landscape in this film?

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Nov 16, 2016, 12:36:49 PM
Doesn't he say that there'll be "something like" a Giger landscape? I'm drooling at the thought.

Nostromo

Holy shit a lot of info here. One of the best interviews.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed