If you could have only one...

Started by Mr. Clemens, Oct 30, 2015, 10:22:35 PM

...what would it be?

Ridley Scott's Alien: Paradise Lost
Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5
Author
If you could have only one... (Read 6,267 times)

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Seeing how divided opinions are over in the 'Alien 5 delayed' thread, I thought it would be interesting to see the numbers. If you could see only one of these films get made, and the other one never get made, which would you choose? No sitting on the fence!

I can't help but feel, whatever the outcome of this poll is, it might be different in the Prometheus or Alien Films forums. Maybe the mods could post a link in those forums to this poll here, so that we get the widest set of opinions (I don't want to spam the boards myself).

Vote away!

The Alien Predator

Prometheus helped expand the lore and make the universe so much more diverse and richer.

The Engineers creating life adds more interesting civilizations for us to explore, more interesting prey for the Predators to hunt and so on. It just really enriched the world for me.

Neil Blonkamp's film, good or not, seems like a rehash that won't do much world building. I would love to see more Colonial Marines and that could've been an opportunity, but I'd much rather see Engineers and other life (including our beloved Aliens) be explored and fleshed out more.

So I vote for Paradise Lost.

Born Of Cold Light

Paradise Lost I think has by far the more interesting premise, and after The Martian, I have great hopes in.  Alien 5 has some interesting ideas, but it has way too much of a fan-fiction feel to it, and just retreads old grounds.

windebieste

windebieste

It would have to be 'ALIEN: Paradise Lost'.  Scott is taking the series into bold new places which it desperately needs to do whereas Blomkamp's proposal looks increasingly like a rehash of what's gone before including resurrecting deceased characters for the sole purpose of servicing sentimentalist nostalgia and shoehorning what should be a confrontational series of movies into the ghetto of mediocrity. 

Well, f**k that.

If I'm given a choice of just one or the other, then I'm totally on board with Scott.

I'd love to see another 'ALIENS' movie, but the proposal of bringing back Ripley and Hicks comprehensively kills it for me.

-Windebieste

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 30, 2015, 10:28:33 PM
Prometheus helped expand the lore and make the universe so much more diverse and richer.

The Engineers creating life adds more interesting civilizations for us to explore, more interesting prey for the Predators to hunt and so on. It just really enriched the world for me.

Neil Blonkamp's film, good or not, seems like a rehash that won't do much world building. I would love to see more Colonial Marines and that could've been an opportunity, but I'd much rather see Engineers and other life (including our beloved Aliens) be explored and fleshed out more.

So I vote for Paradise Lost.

Well said

PRJ_since1990

As much as I want to Paradise Lost to help expand the story created in Prometheus, I lean more towards Alien 5, simply because if it IS to feature previous actors, they are running out of time on that. The actors from Prometheus are still young. You really can't do Ripley without Sigourney and Hicks without Biehn. It wouldn't be the same.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Paradise lost all the way baby.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Highlander.

Oops wrong genre

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 30, 2015, 10:22:35 PM
Seeing how divided opinions are over in the 'Alien 5 delayed' thread, I thought it would be interesting to see the numbers. If you could see only one of these films get made, and the other one never get made, which would you choose? No sitting on the fence!

Not enough data on either two films to make a decision yet Mr. Clemens, so I'll have to abstain for now and find myself a comfortable fence.

Darkness

Darkness

I vote for Alien 5. I'm not a fan of Blomkamp's previous films at all but I would have liked to have seen Ripley and Hicks back out of sheer curiosity. I think it would have been the bigger film out of the two.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 31, 2015, 12:32:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 30, 2015, 10:22:35 PM

Not enough data on either two films to make a decision yet Mr. Clemens, so I'll have to abstain for now and find myself a comfortable fence.

Oh certainly, the scripts and overall quality of the films will matter. But so many posts in that 'Delayed' thread read like, "This sucks! Nobody cares about Prometheus 2!" or "Great news! I don't care about Alien 5 anyway!", that I wanted to see if people really mean that, or if they actually just want both films, but with their preferred film coming first.  ;D

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

We know nothing about P2, but we do know A5 will attempt to be very 'Alien Isolation'-like in its presentation style.

So, if that's the only factor to choose between them...

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 31, 2015, 04:38:24 PM
We know nothing about P2, but we do know A5 will attempt to be very 'Alien Isolation'-like in its presentation style.

Alien Isolation?

I was given the impression that it'd be "Aliens" in its presentation style, with Colonial Marines and Pulse Rifles and Ellen Ripley.

Isolation was more "Alien" than "Aliens".

windebieste

windebieste

I think Blomkamp was talking about how 'ALIEN: Isolation's environment art was a positive influence on the art direction he was interested in taking the 5th film.

It wouldn't surprise me if that game has had some influence over the direction of these recently announced movies.  It sure put a comprehensive end to Scott's claims that the Alien is no longer scary because everyone knows what it looks like.  Obviously that's not true. It never was. 

It's the Creature's presentation and its treatment in the recent past that has been lacking that has reduced its power.   

The dominantt focus of 'Shoot da awiems hue hue hue' mentality in the past 2 decades has gotten stale.  Not the creature itself.  'A:I' demonstrated this brilliantly  by stepping outside the conventional FPS game play model.    Place the Alien in the right environment and conditions it will reveal that its true power is just dormant. 

I think that's what Blomkamp is hoping to achieve.  A balanced synergy of all the elements that made the first 2 movies work so well that has been absent since the mid '80s.

-Windebieste.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 31, 2015, 04:38:24 PM

Yes, he said something about Alien Isolation. But to be fair, his designs (or at least what we've seen so far) are more along the lines of Aliens. The Derelict is the only thing that seems taken from Alien...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed