I want A5 to be as unique as Ward's script!

Started by Salt The Fries, Jul 25, 2015, 07:40:34 PM

Author
I want A5 to be as unique as Ward's script! (Read 3,477 times)

Salt The Fries

Whatever retconning happens in the movie, I just want this film to be as unique as Vincent Ward's vision because WE DESERVE IT. And furthermore, it might be better to suspend our disbelief if the screenwriter and director actually came up with some indigenous ideas and not with a wankfest full of fan service.

Besides, do you think Alien 3 and Resurrection will end up as "bad dreams"? Or will it be a total reboot that won't even go on to mention that?

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 25, 2015, 07:40:34 PM
Whatever retconning happens in the movie, I just want this film to be as unique as Vincent Ward's vision because WE DESERVE IT. And furthermore, it might be better to suspend our disbelief if the screenwriter and director actually came up with some indigenous ideas and not with a wankfest full of fan service.

Besides, do you think Alien 3 and Resurrection will end up as "bad dreams"? Or will it be a total reboot that won't even go on to mention that?
Hopefully set before Alien 3 in that way it retconns ACM or it retconnes the ending of Alien 3.

RagingDragon

Agreed, but at this point it feels like just asking for a certain standard of writing is a long shot. The first step is to have an actually competent film that checks all of the basic boxes and approaches the subject matter like the classic trilogy (yes, even Alien3) which means top-level script and acting. Hollywood is so obsessed with fan service, that you can't possibly appeal to an audience or make any significant money unless you're constantly referencing the original films, that I don't have a lot of hope for forward progress with this new Alien. It's almost like they can't even sell the idea of a film unless it's guaranteed to have a certain level of recognizable pieces thrown in there for muh dumb fans.

I'm also still really disappointed that Hicks and Ripley are even around in the first place. That's starting off from a fan-fiction level of nonsense unless it is, in fact, basically a reboot that picks up after Aliens.

That would be strange, but at this point I think it's clear that the muddled canon disaster that the Alien franchise has become requires something drastic. I don't know if a reboot or redirection of the story is the right answer, but considering Alien: Resurrection really put the nail in the former beloved universe's coffin, it seems like you have to start there.

I firmly believe that even with the level of Alien3-hate out there, retconning the entire film along with Ripley's sacrifice would invite as much risk as it would opportunity. Like it or not, it ended the trilogy very decisively and let Ripley finally rest, and was beautiful and fitting in many ways. Resurrection is the real bastard child that could most likely safely be ignored or flat-out discarded.

Ripley's story is over, for the love of god, Alien can exist without Sigourney Weaver. I don't know what level of mental illness makes producers think that you can't have Alien without Weaver. Apparently the same condition where you can't have Terminator without Schwarzenegger. The alien can be brought back to terrifying life given a talented writer and director, and there's still so much we don't know and so much room for discovery.

I mean if they brought in a new lead, male or female, they could possibly start a whole new trilogy without having to worry about the aging Weaver.

Holy post, sorry bout that lol.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Think it's more likely to be a case of them being more eager to green-light a project if she offers her services (as, apparently, in this case), rather than feeling she needs to be a part of it.

Especially with the great sales and critical reception of 'Isolation'. It's been increasingly talked about as a literal work of art. That won't go unnoticed.

Fox have been eager to exploit this series as keenly as 'Star Wars' for decades. If, as Blomkamp implies, this will heavily mirror that game's presentation style, it's likely that Fox will finally see the light and realise how important a sense of atmosphere is to this stuff. If they can get that basic formula right, they'll justifiably have the winner on their hands they've been after, all this time. Especially if we get biomechanical aesthetics and a dreaded menace of psychosexuality, once again.

Ironic, really, that Weyland-Yutani's been portrayed as on an unending search for the perfect organism and might just succeed in getting it now, when it has such parallels to Fox's own search for the perfect new sequel.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

No thank you. Whilst I appreciate Ward's script was unique, it was also completely inappropriate for the franchise and would have no held up under scrutiny.

I don't mind something slightly off the beaten track and more original but I don't want anything that is just completely out there. Alien needs to stay grounded.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jul 25, 2015, 09:20:29 PMHopefully set before Alien 3 in that way it retconns ACM or it retconnes the ending of Alien 3.

So you don't want the new film to retcon Alien 3... but you want it to retcon the ending of Alien 3.

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 25, 2015, 07:40:34 PMWhatever retconning happens in the movie, I just want this film to be as unique as Vincent Ward's vision because WE DESERVE IT.

If you mean you want it to feel unique and different from the others, then yes I agree. If you mean you want it to be similar to Ward's script, then no. Ward's script was dropped for a reason - the idea was kinda silly. Interesting, sure, and in another franchise I'd like to see it, but it was too out there for an Alien film.

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 25, 2015, 07:40:34 PMAnd furthermore, it might be better to suspend our disbelief if the screenwriter and director actually came up with some indigenous ideas and not with a wankfest full of fan service.

I suspect at this point we'll be getting a film very much aping the tone of the first two films rather than anything new and different. One of the resons I'm sad they're scrapping the later films is they at least tried something different tonally, even if the end result wasn't brilliant. I kinda feel they're going to play it safe with this, which is another reason I'm not a fan of the idea.

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 25, 2015, 07:40:34 PMBesides, do you think Alien 3 and Resurrection will end up as "bad dreams"? Or will it be a total reboot that won't even go on to mention that?

If they really are going to undo the later films, I hope they at least have the sense to just do it instead of coming up with some ridiculous workaround or trying to shoehorn the movie in between films. I'd really rather they didn't just arbitrarily ditch half the franchise, but if they feel they have to do it, just pretend they never happened. Don't pile bullshit on top of bullshit.

Ash 937

There wasn't anything really original in Prometheus...and my hopes aren't too high for the sequel.  At this point, I think that Scott should be changing things around in his story so that it doesn't conflict with what Bloomkamp is writing, not the other way around.  The Alien franchise is more important than the (soon-to-be) Prometheus franchise.

I think that Ward's script was interesting and even though I feel like it still wouldn't have been what fans wanted, it had so much more going for it than what we ended up with.  I'd love another attempt at originality, but Scott is not the man to be compromising a script for to get that done.

I think Alien 5 will be linear and have more explosions than Aliens (but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be bad). 

hfeldhaus

This would be great but leave Ripley and Hicks out of it. I'm all for a reboot that is an original idea. Keep it away from the originals because it's a kick in the teeth to the franchise if they start messing with continuity.

System Apollo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2015, 10:38:46 AM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jul 25, 2015, 09:20:29 PMHopefully set before Alien 3 in that way it retconns ACM or it retconnes the ending of Alien 3.

So you don't want the new film to retcon Alien 3... but you want it to retcon the ending of Alien 3.
:laugh:!!!

Don't perceive my next words as fact, however, as a personal point of view.

I like seeing Prometheus, Blade Runner and Alien as an anthology of an intertwined universe. Three separate plots meant to never interact with each other but with details in correlation with each other. On a day that will more than likely never happen; I would like to see the three separate films be redone in a sort of way that makes the audience feel that sort of presence while also presenting them as an anthology trilogy.

I know I'll be heavily criticized for even mentioning that and rightfully so. It is rather surreal.

Ash 937

Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 11, 2015, 08:07:19 AM

I like seeing Prometheus, Blade Runner and Alien as an anthology of an intertwined universe. Three separate plots meant to never interact with each other but with details in correlation with each other.

Except that the same people that inhabit the Alien universe do not speak as ridiculously as the crew of the Prometheus.  The only Alien film where the characters have dialogue that is as remotely close/ridiculous as Prometheus is in Alien Resurrection. 

I can see a connection between the first 3 Alien films and Blade Runner though.

NickisSmart

I'm hoping that the dialogue in Alien 5 is improvised like Alien's was. Or at the very least, quotable like Aliens' was.

RagingDragon

Quote from: NickisSmart on Aug 12, 2015, 05:19:55 AM
I'm hoping that the dialogue in Alien 5 is improvised like Alien's was. Or at the very least, quotable like Aliens' was.

Good actors will usually improve the dialogue in their roles, or offer suggestions as to how the character should act or which way their arc should go. A great actor can compensate for weak writing by knowing their character and feeling what's right, and some have the presence to stand up for good creative decisions in the face of studio (or director or whatever) pressure.

And an intelligent human being can perceive if writing is stupid, unbelievable, hackneyed, or not lol. Apparently Hollywood is short on both fronts.

System Apollo

Quote from: RagingDragon on Aug 12, 2015, 08:57:06 PM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Aug 12, 2015, 05:19:55 AM

Good actors will usually improve the dialogue in their roles, or offer suggestions as to how the character should act or which way their arc should go. A great actor can compensate for weak writing by knowing their character and feeling what's right, and some have the presence to stand up for good creative decisions in the face of studio (or director or whatever) pressure.

And an intelligent human being can perceive if writing is stupid, unbelievable, hackneyed, or not lol. Apparently Hollywood is short on both fronts.
So much this. They've been glorifying the American military way too much this past decade which makes me a bit anxious to see what Predator will turn out. If the setting is placed in the Middle East with the stereotypes mostly found with American Soldiers I am going to lose it. Thankfully with Neil; we can see things out of the element for once in terms of how he uses his "Army Men". If it was anyone from California I can't say I wouldn't be expecting some kind of spaceship variation of an Apache helicopter. :(

HuDaFuK

Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 12, 2015, 09:41:32 PMThey've been glorifying the American military way too much this past decade which makes me a bit anxious to see what Predator will turn out. If the setting is placed in the Middle East with the stereotypes mostly found with American Soldiers I am going to lose it.

We have literally no indication that will be the case yet though.

System Apollo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 13, 2015, 07:38:51 AM
Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 12, 2015, 09:41:32 PMThey've been glorifying the American military way too much this past decade which makes me a bit anxious to see what Predator will turn out. If the setting is placed in the Middle East with the stereotypes mostly found with American Soldiers I am going to lose it.

We have literally no indication that will be the case yet though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed