Our Alien 5

Started by thanatos86, Jun 24, 2015, 10:52:43 PM

Author
Our Alien 5 (Read 15,844 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 27, 2015, 11:49:45 AM
How many really great movies are out there that were based on a video game?

I could think of two or three!  :laugh:

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jun 27, 2015, 03:34:26 PMAlien 5 has been confirmed check on IMDB  :(

Do you mean THIS:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4462546/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The 'Untitled Neill Blomkamp/Alien Project (2016)' that no one really knows anything about and may yet substantially change during the next year?  That 'announcement' is not concrete in any form. 

Still plenty of time to see this change.  A lot.

-Windebieste.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

QuoteEither way, 'Isolation' would need a lot of modifying to be turned into a film.

Hence the term "based".

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 28, 2015, 01:17:51 AM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jun 27, 2015, 03:34:26 PMAlien 5 has been confirmed check on IMDB  :(

Do you mean THIS:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4462546/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The 'Untitled Neill Blomkamp/Alien Project (2016)' that no one really knows anything about and may yet substantially change during the next year?  That 'announcement' is not concrete in any form. 

Still plenty of time to see this change.  A lot.

-Windebieste.
You are right we can only wait.

MandatoryAlcatraz

MandatoryAlcatraz

I'd personally just make it a larger version of Aliens with a different story about Hicks and Ripley (The script would ignore Alien 3).
One of the main ideas I had for another Alien film for years is putting a praetorian into it. We've never seen a praetorian on screen, and I'd like to.

windebieste

windebieste

There as still many, many people that like 'ALIEN 3'.  That's the big problem with this kind of proposal.  How would you feel if 'ALIENS' was retconned?  why is that any less valid..? 

Newt, Hicks and Ripley are dead. 

In case some people haven't realised it, this is the 'ALIEN' series, not 'DISNEY FAMILY VIEWING SAFE FOR FAMILIES AND SOFT LITTLE BUNNIES SPACE ADVENTURES'.  It's a horror themed series where nasty shit happens, not 'STAR WARS'.

Look at the title.  Just take a look at it:  ALIEN = Hostile, unknown, difficult to understand... 'ALIEN 3' fits the bill.  Blomkamp's pandering to fanboys by retconning 3 is a joke.   You really want to soften the heavy blows that this series should be delivering?  You don't have to wait for long.  'STAR WARS - Episode 7 ' is coming. 

I want more meat and less sugar in the next 'ALIEN' film just like Scott delivered back in 1979 when 'ALIEN' was an antidote to Lucas' gaudy space opera, so too should 'ALIEN 5' kick cinema goers in the balls with shocking and fearsome content.   

Bringing back dead characters?  Really..?  The rut is only going to get deeper if Blomkamp does choose to take that path.

-Windebieste.

MandatoryAlcatraz

MandatoryAlcatraz

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 29, 2015, 03:24:44 AM
There as still many, many people that like 'ALIEN 3'.  That's the big problem with this kind of proposal.  How would you feel if 'ALIENS' was retconned?  why is that any less valid..?

The problem is they killed them off in the beginning for no reason. I like Alien 3, but I think it would've been better if Newt and Hicks weren't just killed in the beginning for no reason. I wouldn't have minded if they died in the movie (as long as it was good).

If Alien 5 ignores Alien 3, that doesn't mean Alien 3 won't exist anymore. People who like Alien 3 (like me) can still watch Alien 3, and enjoy it for what it is.

windebieste

windebieste

I don't think their deaths are meaningless.  They serve to drive home from the outset that 'ALIEN 3' is going to be an unpleasant and difficult ride.  It's a bleak and uncaring movie, like the Universe these movies take place in.  Much like the one I live in.  Maybe yours is full of kittens and lovely cups of tea, but mine frequently sucks.  I like that realism in my entertainment.  It makes the Universe depicted look and feel grounded. 

I'm happy to have mortality take front and center stage like this.  That's one of the major themes of these movies.  People die.  Sometimes good people.  Like the colonists of LV-426.  I'm sure they didn't deserve to be overrun by an hostile parasitic organism.  I'm sure that the crew of the Nostromo didn't deserve to die either.  Death is a central theme to these movies.  It's not negotiable.  You don't come back. 

To me, retconning and reintroducing characters that have already bit the bullet will just soften and dilute the experiences these films offer.   

Just make a fresh start with the 5th movie.  A fresh cast is what's desperately needed, now.  Make it a direct sequel to 'ALIENS' sure.  Marines, pulse rifles, snappy dialogue... the whole lot is welcome. ...but this reliance on returning old characters simply because 'I don't like the third movie' is just silly and not very enriching to the series as a whole.  If done right, a fresh line up of interesting characters will be just as rewarding as those in the 2nd movie without the need for a retcon.

To me, that's a Win/Win situation. 

-Windebieste.

MandatoryAlcatraz

MandatoryAlcatraz

I wouldn't mind a new cast, too. But in the end I feel they'll go with the most marketable way, which is bringing back the characters (Which is a reason you go to see sequels, right. What if you saw The Empire Strikes Back and non of the characters from Star Wars were there?). Since everyone is older, I don't know how well it'd go. (I'd actually like to see them just leave the series alone)

But as someone who aspires to be a screenwriter, I don't think it's very good writing to just kill off two characters at the beginning of the film.  I get that Alien 3 is supposed to be a much darker film. But that doesn't excuse bad writing, that'd be like saying bad writing is okay just because a film is a kid's movie.
Killing off the characters at the beginning of the film is bad writing, because it's just a way to conveniently leave Ripley alone. Like I said, I wouldn't mind if Hicks (and newt?) died in Alien 3, it isn't a problem that they died in the film. The problem is they just die; we don't even get to see them die.

How is this not lazy writing?

windebieste

windebieste

You don't need to have EVERYTHING spelled out for you just like you don't need to see all the deaths of the colonists on LV-426. 

As for 'Star Wars' it's a very, very different series.  Very different.  Aside from it taking place in space, it was very few parallels with 'ALIEN' in any way.   Sure, 'Empire' is a great 2nd movie - as is 'ALIENS' for that matter - but you don't see many characters carry over from one 'ALIEN' movie to the next, do you?  Basically it's just Ripley.  ...oh, and her cat.  That's it.  As far as characters being regular, how does that compare to 'Star Wars'?  It just doesn't work as a comparison.

If you want to compare 'Star Wars' to 'Star Trek', you'd have a valid point but not on this series.  Character vulnerability and mortality holds sway here. 

Having characters die unannounced at the beginning of the film isn't bad writing.  It's writing done under duress with actors unable or unwilling to reprise those roles and the need for them to be dealt with in some way.  I'm not up on way Biehn declined to be involved in 'ALIEN 3' but by the time it went into production Carrie Henn was a young teenager.  she grew, became tall and was no longer a child.  How else would you deal with that issue? 

'Hi! I'm Newt.  I've been in stasis for 6 years now.  So stop looking at my bewbs.'  would be bad writing - and it's no different to the kind of nonsense we're are looking at with Blomkamp's proposal.   

So, how would you write Newt into a sequel when Henn was 16 and had to depict a 10 year old girl?  How..?  HOW???

-Windebieste.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

QuoteThere as still many, many people that like 'ALIEN 3'.  That's the big problem with this kind of proposal.  How would you feel if 'ALIENS' was retconned?  why is that any less valid..? 

I'd laugh.  No one is going to try to retcon a movie that was so successful and well-received.  A series reboot maybe,  but not a retcon.

Alien 3 doesn't have the enduring popularity of it's predecessors.  Reference any line or scene from the first two films, and people will probably know what you're talking about. Not so with the third.  That was the one where Ripley was bald and died and nobody cares.

Sure, plenty of people still love the movie, but they're a minority and half of them only do so because it spites its predecessor.   Their first response to any criticism is to piss on Aliens and insult its fans. For that, I say screw em.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 29, 2015, 04:57:36 AM
I don't think their deaths are meaningless.  They serve to drive home from the outset that 'ALIEN 3' is going to be an unpleasant and difficult ride.  It's a bleak and uncaring movie, like the Universe these movies take place in.  Much like the one I live in.  Maybe yours is full of kittens and lovely cups of tea, but mine frequently sucks.  I like that realism in my entertainment.  It makes the Universe depicted look and feel grounded. 

I'm happy to have mortality take front and center stage like this.  That's one of the major themes of these movies.  People die.  Sometimes good people.  Like the colonists of LV-426.  I'm sure they didn't deserve to be overrun by an hostile parasitic organism.  I'm sure that the crew of the Nostromo didn't deserve to die either.  Death is a central theme to these movies.  It's not negotiable.  You don't come back. 

To me, retconning and reintroducing characters that have already bit the bullet will just soften and dilute the experiences these films offer.   

Just make a fresh start with the 5th movie.  A fresh cast is what's desperately needed, now.  Make it a direct sequel to 'ALIENS' sure.  Marines, pulse rifles, snappy dialogue... the whole lot is welcome. ...but this reliance on returning old characters simply because 'I don't like the third movie' is just silly and not very enriching to the series as a whole.  If done right, a fresh line up of interesting characters will be just as rewarding as those in the 2nd movie without the need for a retcon.

To me, that's a Win/Win situation. 

-Windebieste.
check out his video Alien 3 movie defense force and this articlehttp://whatculture.com/film/10-reasons-alien-3-is-a-misunderstood-masterpiece.php

Quote from: MandatoryAlcatraz on Jun 29, 2015, 03:54:43 AM

The problem is they killed them off in the beginning for no reason. I like Alien 3, but I think it would've been better if Newt and Hicks weren't just killed in the beginning for no reason. I wouldn't have minded if they died in the movie (as long as it was good).

If Alien 5 ignores Alien 3, that doesn't mean Alien 3 won't exist anymore. People who like Alien 3 (like me) can still watch Alien 3, and enjoy it for what it is.They did it on purpose because it created the hostility in FURY-161 it also made Ripley come closer to Clemens (literally as they gave sex)they both had a sad past.I just dont want a great movie kicked out of the picture just because some people want a kid back.I would not mind the ending being retconned (check out my forum)

MandatoryAlcatraz

MandatoryAlcatraz

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jun 29, 2015, 01:08:13 PM
QuoteThere as still many, many people that like 'ALIEN 3'.  That's the big problem with this kind of proposal.  How would you feel if 'ALIENS' was retconned?  why is that any less valid..? 

I'd laugh.  No one is going to try to retcon a movie that was so successful and well-received.  A series reboot maybe,  but not a retcon.

Alien 3 doesn't have the enduring popularity of it's predecessors.  Reference any line or scene from the first two films, and people will probably know what you're talking about. Not so with the third.
Fully agree. They're going to go with the most marketable and profitable story.

If Aliens was retconned, I wouldn't care. I can still watch the movie, I can still consider it canon in my own interpretation of the series (I still don't consider CM canon no matter what anyone says, same would go with Aliens being retconned).

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: MandatoryAlcatraz on Jun 30, 2015, 12:59:58 AM
Quote from: Kelgaard on Jun 29, 2015, 01:08:13 PM

Alien 3 doesn't have the enduring popularity of it's predecessors.  Reference any line or scene from the first two films, and people will probably know what you're talking about. Not so with the third.
Fully agree. They're going to go with the most marketable and profitable story.

If Aliens was retconned, I wouldn't care. I can still watch the movie, I can still consider it canon in my own interpretation of the series (I still don't consider CM canon no matter what anyone says, same would go with Aliens being retconned).
Might as well reboot the whole franchise looking as the way we are going.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jun 30, 2015, 01:23:31 PM
Might as well reboot the whole franchise looking as the way we are going.

Something tells me.. we're not that far.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed