Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 30, 2016, 08:03:03 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44 (Read 28,188 times)

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

I made the comment about the "beauty of the Alien is the simplicity of it."

Perhaps I should have elaborated better. I was specifically talking about the Aliens themselves rather than the universe as a whole. Granted, no, I don't expect them to always remain the same, the additions we had in the past were small but made sense. The warrior, the queen, the DNA reflex, those were new elements that gave the Aliens further depth but didn't go too far to the point of changing their identity. They've always given the impression of being a living parasitic weapon, but if you change them around so much that they are born of mutation, or a pathogen, their identity as a species just becomes an arbitrary plot device. So yeah, I want new things in relation to the Xenomorph, but not taken to such a point where they don't have their own identity.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 30, 2016, 10:47:27 PM
*Shape of the Covenant ship. Seriously?

Still need to listen to this episode, but like Hicks said, we recorded it super-late! :) If it was me, I think I was just making an observation about how it should look like it was carrying infrastructure, but I think Hicks pointed out a possible reason for that. It's pretty trivial. Sorry if it came across as more meaningful than that!

Quote*Lack of protective suits on Paradise. They will address that for sure. If not, then look at Star Trek or Star Wars.

Totally legitimate concern, precisely because 'Prometheus' did not address it in anything other than a schoolboy fantasy manner: Holloway, who's not just a scientist, but surrounded by his peers, decides he wants to remove his helmet just beause he can. Then not only did he do this, but all the others did, too - including Shaw, who was the main one warning him not to.

Being as this was one of the major criticisms of this film's predecessor, yes, the possibility of this being a pattern is worrying, because if it is, it indicates Scott really hasn't bothered to take note of his previous film's criticisms.

'Star Trek' is relevant, precisely because that's the very portrayal of the future which the 'Alien' films were always set in contrast against. They felt more grounded. 'Star Trek' had transport space magic which could just 'beam-clean' any pathogens out of you. Stepping out of a dropship doesn't have that luxury... These characters should know better and the trailer even has one of the film's own characters point this out: "We don't know what the f**k's out there!"

Not unlike Shaw warning Holloway and doing the same thing, herself, no?

This is the biggest concern: Has Scott bothered to acknowledge the flaws of 'Prometheus and improve upon them or will this be more of the same? Will we get something where characters act just as idiotically as those of 2012 did? If there's one thing 'Prometheus' got it in the neck for, it was how moronic all the crew of 'experts' were.

I honestly hope this won't be a repeat performance of that! But one can't help but take notice of 'red flag' moments... It's not like there aren't inventive ways to tear through a protective suit and infect an exploring character.

Quote*Backburster issue. Quote from the podcast: It's not the most logical place for thing to rip out off. Why not? Neomorph is not a Xenomorph. Besides, let's be honest: it's utterly impossible for foreign body to grow inside you without earliest symptoms which means that chestburster scene in Alien is impossible because Kane would have known long before that something was going on. It's scientifically inaccurate. Do I care? Of course not. It's sci-fi movie.

I think I brought that up, yeah, but also said we don't know the full context. Ribs seem like they'd be easier to crack an exit point out of than ripping apart an entire spinal column, sure. I also speculated that maybe the reson is that the guy's spine, itself, has mutated into something which is ripping free. Who knows? We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Quote*Tempo of the song in the trailer.

Think that was me, again. :) I got what it was trying to do, but it honestly felt too fantasy-like and graceful. Hicks felt differently! The fan-made recut uses the 'Prometheus' trailer music and I honestly feel that was infinitely better for tempo. Compare them both and see which one puts you in the mood better.

QuoteAnd at the end: you guys are obsessed about Neill Blomkamp's Alien project like it's gonna be great by definition :). You might be disappointed when it turns out that Covenant's gonna be better than Alien 3.2. It's just my feeling.

I plead innocent! :laugh: That was me thinking up a general talking point: How do we feel the fandom will respond if this is ultimately received like 'Prometheus' largely was? Not which one we might personally prefer. We can't judge that. It's just a hypothetical. Sometimes it's interesting to just debate how the fans, themselves, might look at and react to stuff.

echobbase79

Didn't Holloway realize that the cave had an oxygen source though? I haven't watched it in awhile so I can't remember for sure. But yeah, I don't want another Millburn and Fifield sequences of events that lead to complete idiocy.

RidgeTop

Quote from: echobbase79 on Dec 31, 2016, 01:57:05 AM

Didn't Holloway realize that the cave had an oxygen source though? I haven't watched it in awhile so I can't remember for sure. But yeah, I don't want another Millburn and Fifield sequences of events that lead to complete idiocy.

Agreed as far as Millburn and Fifield go. As far as breathable air, the planet was still unstudied so they would have no idea what sort of pathogens they would be exposing themselves to by removing their helmets, especially in an environment built by an Alien race. 

Perfect-Organism

Blame Alien 3 for everything!  LOL ;D

Just finished listening to this.  Once again, thanks for putting this together for the fans.  It was quite a good discussion.

One thing seems to be omitted in most discussions on the film though.  It's that the forest looks exactly like an earth forest.  It isn't Alien.  It's bad enough that we are not getting that Giger-world landscape that fans have wanted to see for years, but if you're not going to do that, at least try to make the vegetation look unique.  This literally feels like the astronauts traveled millions of miles only to end up in New Zealand.  I understand that the source of life in a post-Prometheus Alien universe implies that the alien trees and earth trees would have the same source, but come on!  That at the very least feels like a cop-out.  James Cameron's Avatar did things right in this regard.  The vegetation for the most part does look real.

Happy New Year folks!

juxtapose

whats the size of this mp3 file?,.... first have to c if i got enought data to download. .else i will get it at a later stage. .

Darkness

Around 150mb.

Favourite part for me was Hicks screaming "Bullshit!" twice before Ridgetop even finished explaining the rumours.

oduodu

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 31, 2016, 05:34:31 AM
Blame Alien 3 for everything!  LOL ;D

Someone said. Alien 3 gets in the neck every time. LOL

Its true what you guys said about Covenant and how it will affect the rest of the franchise or rather the future the franchise as it will determine whether or not fans will want Blomkamp's alien 5 and fox decides to can the prequel series.

And then no engineer revelations and only mystery destroyed.

I was surprised and thought you guys would be drooling over the prospect of seeing the original xenomorph on screen for the first time since 1979 . LOL.
Are you gents excited for it?

Prometheus 2.0 and the concern that Scott did not heed advice or learn from the faults of Prometheus ......that is CONCERNING.

SM

SM

QuoteBeing as this was one of the major criticisms of this film's predecessor, yes, the possibility of this being a pattern is worrying, because if it is, it indicates Scott really hasn't bothered to take note of his previous film's criticisms.

I always found the 'ZOMG they took their helmets off' thing very nitpicky.

There's an announcement when they get back to the ship about decontaminating and you see Shaw et al getting decontaminated in the lift after David rescues her and Charlie.  Chance voices concerns about contracting something after Charlie gets sick and saying they all had their helmets off.  Ultimately it's completely irrelevant to the story - the contamination  isn't airborne.

Might be different this around if the trailer is anything to by, however.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Thanks for answers Xenomorphine! :)

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 31, 2016, 01:50:49 AM
Quote*Lack of protective suits on Paradise. They will address that for sure. If not, then look at Star Trek or Star Wars.

Totally legitimate concern, precisely because 'Prometheus' did not address it in anything other than a schoolboy fantasy manner: Holloway, who's not just a scientist, but surrounded by his peers, decides he wants to remove his helmet just beause he can. Then not only did he do this, but all the others did, too - including Shaw, who was the main one warning him not to.

Being as this was one of the major criticisms of this film's predecessor, yes, the possibility of this being a pattern is worrying, because if it is, it indicates Scott really hasn't bothered to take note of his previous film's criticisms.

'Star Trek' is relevant, precisely because that's the very portrayal of the future which the 'Alien' films were always set in contrast against. They felt more grounded. 'Star Trek' had transport space magic which could just 'beam-clean' any pathogens out of you. Stepping out of a dropship doesn't have that luxury... These characters should know better and the trailer even has one of the film's own characters point this out: "We don't know what the f**k's out there!"

Not unlike Shaw warning Holloway and doing the same thing, herself, no?

This is the biggest concern: Has Scott bothered to acknowledge the flaws of 'Prometheus and improve upon them or will this be more of the same? Will we get something where characters act just as idiotically as those of 2012 did? If there's one thing 'Prometheus' got it in the neck for, it was how moronic all the crew of 'experts' were.

Study this picture. Walter is in the centre and Carmen Ejogo is on the right which means it's probably mission briefing before shuttle lands on the planet because apparently

Spoiler
Ejogo's character dies while shuttle is destroyed (as we can see in the trailer)
[close]

Look at the helmet. It belongs to space suit. I assume they discuss that matter on the briefing. It's just my premonition.

And the last thing. According to spoiler

Spoiler
Covenant receives signal from the planet which is nothing else than a song from Earth. Who else than human being would sing the song? Maybe they take if for granted than it's safe to land without spacesuits? Time will tell.
[close]

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 31, 2016, 01:50:49 AM
Quote*Backburster issue. Quote from the podcast: It's not the most logical place for thing to rip out off. Why not? Neomorph is not a Xenomorph. Besides, let's be honest: it's utterly impossible for foreign body to grow inside you without earliest symptoms which means that chestburster scene in Alien is impossible because Kane would have known long before that something was going on. It's scientifically inaccurate. Do I care? Of course not. It's sci-fi movie.

I think I brought that up, yeah, but also said we don't know the full context. Ribs seem like they'd be easier to crack an exit point out of than ripping apart an entire spinal column, sure. I also speculated that maybe the reson is that the guy's spine, itself, has mutated into something which is ripping free. Who knows? We'll have to wait and see what happens.

According to media report Neomorph's got two spies on its back, so I assume that baby alien rips through his spine, pushing it forward which looks like its some kind of mutation but it's not. Besides, baby neomorph doesn't know which way to set itself free. It does it randomly.

Spoiler
We gonna have throatburster as well.
[close]

Quote from: RidgeTop on Dec 31, 2016, 12:51:45 AM
I made the comment about the "beauty of the Alien is the simplicity of it."

Perhaps I should have elaborated better. I was specifically talking about the Aliens themselves rather than the universe as a whole. Granted, no, I don't expect them to always remain the same, the additions we had in the past were small but made sense. The warrior, the queen, the DNA reflex, those were new elements that gave the Aliens further depth but didn't go too far to the point of changing their identity. They've always given the impression of being a living parasitic weapon, but if you change them around so much that they are born of mutation, or a pathogen, their identity as a species just becomes an arbitrary plot device. So yeah, I want new things in relation to the Xenomorph, but not taken to such a point where they don't have their own identity.

I really like idea of expanding the universe. I want new things in relation to Xenomorphs but Neomorphs are different type of Aliens (infection is different and the way they release from the host). There is no conflict regarding plot device. Besides, look at Queen in Aliens. Some fans don't like idea of the hive and that she lays egg.

jdxmoore

Enjoyed that podcast, thanks.

It's long but there is a good discussion and I appreciate the detail you guys go into.  I think it's fairly balanced overall and I think many of us share the same concerns that you raise.

Syntheticbutnotstupid

First time visitor of the site. I loved the podcast and the thought provoking discussion. There are a lot of great theories out there that can be expanded upon.

I've been a fan of the Alien series since my dad showed me the films as a kid and they haunted my nightmares. I really do care about the franchise and for selfish reasons I want the film to do well so they make more.

I'm excited for covenant and I look forward to more discussion regarding upcoming information and trailer releases.

Thank you guys.

Ingwar

Quote from: Enoch on Dec 31, 2016, 12:49:04 AM

Still not completely sure if this is just a spineburster
or transformation...

It's definitely Neomorph ripping of his spine and pushing it out so it looks like transformation but it's not it.

rabidranger

Doesn't the whole spine with the neomorph attached end up on the floor and then the neomorph starts flailing about? Nasty!

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

How could David have made
Spoiler
Shaw make distress signal??
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed