Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 30, 2016, 08:03:03 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44 (Read 28,201 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 30, 2016, 11:41:16 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2016, 11:30:27 PM
Quote*Tempo of the song in the trailer.

And why is that silly?

Why? Because it's just a trailer ;) Come on!

Trailers are important. If you've got a trailer that isn't working for people then that's an issue. Could potentially affect the amount of bums that they are going to get on the seats. We want these films to be good, we want people to go and see them and for them to make more good films.

You're just being dismissive.

Ingwar

Quote*Daniels as a main female character and looking Ripley alike.

Completely legitimate concern. If every single Alien film starts to follow that template it becomes formulaic and that becomes stale and boring. Not saying Covenant is going to be stale or formulaic, but always having a female lead that survives to the end of the film becomes predictable.

As you know (according to spoilers and your source) she's not the only main character in the movie. Eventually she'll die sooner or later anyway.

Corporal Hicks

She may not be the only main character but she's the main character. It'd just be nice to have our expectations be subverted and for something different to be done. You know, like Alien did.

Ingwar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2016, 11:43:46 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 30, 2016, 11:41:16 PM
Quote*Tempo of the song in the trailer.

And why is that silly?

Why? Because it's just a trailer ;) Come on!

Trailers are important. If you've got a trailer that isn't working for people then that's an issue. Could potentially affect the amount of bums that they are going to get on the seats. We want these films to be good, we want people to go and see them and for them to make more good films.

You're just being dismissive.

You cannot make a trailer that will satisfy everyone. It's impossible. Besides, majority of people like it so it works.

And I'm not dismissive.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Prometheus' trailer did a great job of it but you're completely right, you can't please everyone. I'm not denying that. I know that full well. The Alien fanbase is such an eclectic collection of people brought to the series for all sorts of varying reasons.

And many people did like it which is great. But remember we're dedicated fans recording for other dedicated fans. If you look at our own reaction polls, you see a pretty steady flatline regarding people who loved it, were indifferent (most popular option being in the middle at good) and hated it.  So in our corner it didn't work completely.

And "so what, it's just a trailer" is dismissive.

426Buddy

426Buddy

That explains why everyone seemed a bit down  or unenthused lol that's pretty late in the morning lol I bet it is tiredness I'm hearing in your voices

Anyway I'm glad you are still looking forward to Covenant Hicks! Your concerns are understandable and i do share them as well.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote*Beauty of Alien universe is getting too complicated because of new stuff. How come? Do you want to see the same stuff all the same?

Can you be more specific? Not sure what you're trying to put criticize here?

If I'm not mistaken (it was a long podcast) one of you mentioned something about spores (probably in the first part of the podcast) and says something like: beauty of Alien movies is getting too complicated because of the new stuff. That's why I'm asking: do you want to see the same stuff all the same?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2016, 11:50:48 PM
And "so what, it's just a trailer" is dismissive.

I didn't mean it in that way. I have to be more specific next time. Trailer is not a movie so I don't care about it as much as probably you guys.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 30, 2016, 11:54:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken (it was a long podcast) one of you mentioned something about spores (probably in the first part of the podcast) and says something like: beauty of Alien movies is getting too complicated because of the new stuff. That's why I'm asking: do you want to see the same stuff all the same?

Of course not as we saw with my issue with the continual stream of female leads that we get. But, it still needs to make sense doesn't it.

I just finished re-reading the Gibson script that Covenant seems to be taking inspiration from for the Neomorphs and I can't say it all seemed to be clear what was going on in regards to it. That's a bad thing. Hopefully the Neomorphs are a well thought out concept that works within the universe.

Prometheus gave us plenty of new stuff. Doesn't mean it's a good thing. AvP Requiem gave us new stuff. Doesn't make that a good film. There's not some sort of straight correlation between new and good.

oduodu

Gteat podcast

From 2:08:00 where Ridgetop until the very end - touches exactly on so many of my fears and hopes for the franchise.

I love the statement about the simplicity of Alien and how it  might be lost. Even as a Prometheus fan. Alien is still the heart of the franchise.

Just listen and you will see!! 

Ingwar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2016, 11:48:28 PM
She may not be the only main character but she's the main character. It'd just be nice to have our expectations be subverted and for something different to be done. You know, like Alien did.

Prometheus did something different. Elizabeth Shaw is the best example. Did you expect that she won't be the main character in Prometheus sequel? I didn't. Now, getting rid of Noomi Rapace, studio want to establish new characters and there is nothing wrong about it.

echobbase79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2016, 11:59:27 PM

Of course not as we saw with my issue with the continual stream of female leads that we get. But, it still needs to make sense doesn't it.

I just finished re-reading the Gibson script that Covenant seems to be taking inspiration from for the Neomorphs and I can't say it all seemed to be clear what was going on in regards to it. That's a bad thing. Hopefully the Neomorphs are a well thought out concept that works within the universe.

Prometheus have us plenty of new stuff. Doesn't mean it's a good thing. AvP Requiem gave us new stuff. Doesn't make that a good film. There's not some sort of straight correlation between new and good.

Do you happen to remember what page(s) in the script this material takes place at? All I can remember is someone having an entire Alien rip out of their body. Like they were using the host as a skin to conceal what was going on underneath.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 31, 2016, 12:02:18 AM
Prometheus did something different. Elizabeth Shaw is the best example. Did you expect that she won't be the main character in Prometheus sequel? I didn't. Now, getting rid of Noomi Rapace, studio want to establish new characters and there is nothing wrong about it.

It's still the same template. No, she's not a Ripley clone - which I'm happy about - but she's the same basic setup. Yet another female lead, going through some tough ordeals and coming out at the end. Just mix it up a little. Surprise me!

I'll agree with you about not seeing her not returning. I didn't know what to expect for the Prometheus sequel. And neither did the studio know what they were doing with a Prometheus sequel for a long time.

As much as I'm hoping Daniels isn't a Ripley clone and I'm not condemning her as one either. I'm glad we're rid of Shaw though. I really didn't like her character.

Quote from: echobbase79 on Dec 31, 2016, 12:03:16 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2016, 11:59:27 PM

Prometheus have us plenty of new stuff. Doesn't mean it's a good thing. AvP Requiem gave us new stuff. Doesn't make that a good film. There's not some sort of straight correlation between new and good.

Do you happen to remember what page(s) in the script this material takes place at? All I can remember is someone having an entire Alien rip out of their body. Like they were using the host as a skin to conceal what was going on underneath.

Pretty much the whole script, echo. They're basically tinkering with the Alien DNA. The UPP grow a chestburster that is faster, stronger, etc. The Anchorpoint folk grow some sort of strain that has an egg that emits spores which cause people to mutate into Aliens that burst out of their skin. The first bursting happens around page 50.

Ingwar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 31, 2016, 12:06:46 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 31, 2016, 12:02:18 AM

It's still the same template. No, she's not a Ripley clone - which I'm happy about - but she's the same basic setup. Yet another female lead, going through some tough ordeals and coming out at the end. Just mix it up a little. Surprise me!

I'll agree with you about not seeing her not returning. I didn't know what to expect for the Prometheus sequel. And neither did the studio know what they were doing with a Prometheus sequel for a long time.

As much as I'm hoping Daniels isn't a Ripley clone and I'm not condemning her as one either. I'm glad we're rid of Shaw though. I really didn't like her character.

Changing protagonist's sex from female to male doesn't change a lot. I'm not bothered about it. But you're right, it's the same template but it depends on how it's gonna be executed.

Please, can you tell me who was the main character (sex and full name) in Alien: Isolation? ;D Did you enjoy it? I know you did!

I don't think Daniel's a Ripley clone and I agree regarding Shaw. Didn't like her especially that religious nonsense.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 31, 2016, 12:17:28 AM
Changing protagonist's sex from female to male doesn't change a lot. I'm not bothered about it. But you're right, it's the same template but it depends on how it's gonna be executed.

I'm not saying it's as simple as just changing the gender. And spot on, execution is vital. Which is why something like different character arcs and fates could be important. Like I said, subvert our expectations. If you're happy with the same old, that's fine.  ;)

QuotePlease, can you tell me who was the main character (sex and full name) in Alien: Isolation? ;D Did you enjoy it? I know you did!

Too right I did. As we agreed to above, execution is key. Despite her surname, her journey was different and her character was great. She wasn't a clone of her mother. I was very dubious of her inclusion to start with but thankfully she was a great ride. Can't wait to find out what happened to her.

Enoch

Still not completely sure if this is just a spineburster
or transformation...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed