Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 736,501 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Sigh

It's only a studio insert, it wasn't in the shooting script.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Too bad the Assembly Cut didn't take it out then.  That would have been the perfect opportunity.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Even if Bishop did have the time to do it (he didn't), and you're happy for him to be just another dodgy android (and completely ruin his character), you're asking us to believe that Ripley would be stupid enough to not take a quick check of the immediate surroundings before going into cryosleep. It's clearly the work of an alien wizard, it's the only logical explanation.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 19, 2018, 09:30:59 AM
If the company had nothing to fear from the government, why smuggle the aliens through quarantine at all?
Well it wasn't the company so much as it was Burke. I mean it wasn't like anyone else appeared to know anything at all about xenomorphs.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 19, 2018, 10:11:05 AM
Too bad the Assembly Cut didn't take it out then.  That would have been the perfect opportunity.

Yes it would have.

So now it's just;

"I had a terrible dream in cryosleep."

& We can stop having this discussion until something changes.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 19, 2018, 10:32:59 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 19, 2018, 09:30:59 AM
If the company had nothing to fear from the government, why smuggle the aliens through quarantine at all?

Well it wasn't the company so much as it was Burke. I mean it wasn't like anyone else appeared to know anything at all about xenomorphs.

The point is that the company isn't above the law.  Burke, as the company rep assigned to the mission, wouldn't have been able to get the aliens past ICC quarantine without smuggling them.  I doubt the company would have balked at him doing so either since he was confident that he'd make a fortune handing them over to the bio-weapons division.

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 19, 2018, 10:37:04 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 19, 2018, 10:11:05 AM

Yes it would have.

So now it's just;

"I had a terrible dream in cryosleep."

& We can stop having this discussion until something changes.

Have you seen my proto-egg theory?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 19, 2018, 08:58:19 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 19, 2018, 05:56:45 AM
... the ECA is one of the groups Burke is trying to get around by getting Newt and Ripley infected, dude.
Yea but this is the corporate ruled universe of Ridley Scott. I figure that's less of a problem than Bishop being owned by the USCM.
That ... wasn't what Alien was, either ???

It was never, ever a "corporate-ruled universe". The Company was always just a company. Big and powerful and indifferent to the wellbeing of its employees -- like companies of the time, like companies now -- but they were still answerable to some law. The comparison drawn by Hill et al was Exxon.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 19, 2018, 06:27:53 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2018, 04:45:50 AM
Nope.

Would it bother you if Bishop did bring eggs onboard the dropship?

So the egg was in the corner of the dropship with a coat covering it so no one would notice? And it didnt open and attack anyone just because? And it just placed itself upside down somewhere on the Sulaco because Bishop was torn in half upon landing and he wouldnt be able to tend to it?

Just go back through this thread to one of the many times that the Bishop theories have been disproved.  He doesnt have the time to go back to the Sulaco and then come back for Ripley (would take hours).  And he couldnt just go pick some eggs up when Ripley was with the queen because he is disabled right when they get to the Sulaco.  So no chance to move the eggs on board.

We're doomed to repeat the same discussions over and over in this Purgatory that we call "Egg on Sulaco"

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Aug 19, 2018, 11:00:47 AMThe comparison drawn by Hill et al was Exxon.

Did Hill actually state that in an interview or something?  I'd like to see that.

SiL

SiL

Ah, for God's sake.

I swore I read that in Dissecting Aliens: Terror in Space, but a quick Google finds nothing and I'm now starting to think Dr Flynn put that in there as a comparison to a [later] real-world event than an actual influence.

The actual point still stands (the Company was never meant to be omnipotent) but that comparison can f**k right off without proof.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Either way, I'd say it's an apt comparison.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 19, 2018, 11:30:57 AM
We're doomed to repeat the same discussions over and over in this Purgatory that we call "Egg on Sulaco"

"Until the day"

SM

SM

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 19, 2018, 05:36:42 AM
So if he's ECA then does that mean he could actually be Burke's lap dog?

No.

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 19, 2018, 06:27:53 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2018, 04:45:50 AM
Nope.

Would it bother you if Bishop did bring eggs onboard the dropship?

If there was a shred if evidence to suggest Bishop did it, my opinion wouldn't matter either way.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

If you're opinion dosen't matter... then why bother replying?

I remember when I thought I nailed Bishop to the wall to then only realize the bugger was in a tunnel. But I keep trucking on.

SM

SM

QuoteIf you're opinion dosen't matter... then why bother replying?

Because someone asked my opinion.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed