Pencil and Paper

Started by SpaceMarines, Jun 09, 2010, 03:39:33 AM

Author
Pencil and Paper (Read 33,639 times)

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 23, 2012, 08:00:56 AM

impressive

I've always liked you stuff but this is one of those times you see some serious evolution in an artists work. Well done.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 27, 2012, 03:55:19 PM
Dude...that's awesome.

Thank you, NA.

Quote from: Spaghetti on Jul 29, 2012, 03:36:40 AM
http://s5.postimage.org/a5pi1b20l/impressive.gif
impressive

I've always liked you stuff but this is one of those times you see some serious evolution in an artists work. Well done.

Thanks. Getting the tablet has just made me wanna branch out and try new things I never could do before.

And Jeremiah Johnson? My respect for you continues to grow.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyWtfMvipOE#

Cinematic! I hear music (sort of like Skyrim) and thunder claps. The character looks like someone from Colonial America (in silhouette) until the lighting flashes and BEHOLD he is a medieval badass! I'd love some back story on this piece if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

btw the accompanying link to youtube doesn't work.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 02, 2013, 02:22:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyWtfMvipOE#

Cinematic! I hear music (sort of like Skyrim) and thunder claps. The character looks like someone from Colonial America (in silhouette) until the lighting flashes and BEHOLD he is a medieval badass! I'd love some back story on this piece if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

btw the accompanying link to youtube doesn't work.

Ah, I'm glad this one's still such a hit! Never even considered the silhouette would look colonial. :laugh:

For backstory, this is actually a bit of fan art done for Game of Thrones. The character shown is Tywin Lannister, although a couple of decades before the show itself actually takes place. In the world of the show (and the books), there is a song called "The Rains of Castamere" about how this Tywin man brutally slaughtered the entire line of a minor house that rebelled against him; every minor cousin and distant relation, he hunted down and killed. This piece was inspired by that song, and the story behind it.

The link was taken down, and it's too late to edit the original post, but it had been this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRO0jQFnLjE#

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Gun beats sword, you say...?

...let's put that to the test.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

f**k yeah, reminds me of Bushido Blade when you had that one character with the pistol being a complete cheater with it!

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Glad you like it. Never played that game, though. Got the idea from the movie Yojimbo.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Hohlay shyet, that's badass. Particularly like the first guy's stripe pattern.

One critique would be that the cell shading ends at the clothing and doesn't go further, having only been applied to areas of bare skin.

Spoiler
[close]

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 25, 2013, 03:15:50 AM
Hohlay shyet, that's badass. Particularly like the first guy's stripe pattern.

One critique would be that the cell shading ends at the clothing and doesn't go further, having only been applied to areas of bare skin.

Spoiler
[close]

Badass it is, I agree.

Not quite sure what you're saying about the shading though. Care to be a bit more specific?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

What I'm [poorly] trying to point out is the shading only being on their skin and not on their clothing. The shading stops at their clothing instead of carrying onto it. For instance, there is shading on the first character's neck, but none on the scarf, then it resumes on the chest, but not onto the robe. It makes the shading look exclusive only to the skin.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Okay, I see what you mean now.

Yeah, that was most likely just laziness. :laugh:

I could try going back, changing it a bit... But not today.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Your style is acquiring its identity and uniqueness. Love your last piece.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Phoenix insignia I designed for the police force in a short dystopian play a friend of mine wrote and directed, entitled Ashes. This bad boy was printed onto t-shirts 'n shit.

(Yes, the phoenix does have thematic and symbolic importance to the play.)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Very nice.

You know something I never said, I think in your style it is praiseworthy how much mood you transfer to drawn faces.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed