What happened to ash?

Started by Cromartie, Mar 21, 2007, 08:08:17 PM

Author
What happened to ash? (Read 7,794 times)

SM

SM

QuoteAh yes, I remember hearing Ash singing 'Bicycle Built for Two' while being disconnected

I was thinking that exact thing while I was typing that post.  ;D

The conflict  - IMO, I must stress - comes from the fact that I believe Ash is in fact First Lawed, but SO 937 took precedence.

Quotedrinking white "milk" alot

Geez, that's pretty damn crazy!  :o

Vader the White

Vader the White

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2007, 09:35:26 PM
The conflict comes from the fact that I believe Ash is in fact First Lawed, but SO 937 took precedence.

Who said that Ash followed any of the laws of robotics? I know Bishop does, but I never heard anything to suggest that.

Even if we were sure Ash followed the laws of robotics, the first law (A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm)  would stop him from killing a human, even if the order was high precedence.

SM

SM

QuoteWho said that Ash followed any of the laws of robotics? I know Bishop does, but I never heard anything to suggest that.

WOW!  That was smart - edit my post then point out the flaw in it.

You miss the bit that says "IMO I must stress.

As for the rest of your post - incorrect.  "All other priorities rescinded."  "Crew expendable."

Vader the White

Vader the White

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2007, 09:52:41 PM

You miss the bit that says "IMO I must stress.

As for the rest of your post - incorrect.  "All other priorities rescinded."  "Crew expendable."

I have no clue what "IMO" means.

Also, the 1st & 2nd laws says that no matter what, even if told , not to harm a human or let a human get harmed.
(2nd Law:A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law)

SM

SM

IMO = In My Opinion.

Well if he is First Lawed, then SOs over-ride that.  Or conflict to such a degree that they cause Ash's odd behaviour.

Newsfop

Newsfop

How did Asimov get involved in this?

SM

SM

He created the Laws of Robotics which Cameron references in Aliens.

Vader the White

Vader the White

Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2007, 12:17:46 AM
IMO = In My Opinion.

Well if he is First Lawed, then SOs over-ride that.  Or conflict to such a degree that they cause Ash's odd behaviour.
The SO cannot override the laws. Like the second law says:

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law

It cannot harm a human just because someone says to get the lifeform no matter what. The alien was killing humans, and Ash knew it, so that breaks the first law, and he didn't stop it because what he was told, breaking the second laws rule of obeying commands unless it conflicts with the first law.  It couldn't cause odd behavior because the laws are clear about orders.

SM

SM

QuoteThe SO cannot override the laws.

There is no way we can know this for certain.

Newsfop

Newsfop

You know what? You're right. There is no way that in 57 years they could have possibly upgraded the programming in robots.  ::)

Vader the White

Vader the White

Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2007, 01:34:05 AM
QuoteThe SO cannot override the laws.

There is no way we can know this for certain.

Did you not see what I put??

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law

It cannot harm a human just because someone says to get the lifeform no matter what. The alien was killing humans, and Ash knew it, so that breaks the first law, and he didn't stop it because what he was told, breaking the second laws rule of obeying commands unless it conflicts with the first law.  It couldn't cause odd behavior because the laws are clear about orders.

That clearly says why the order cannot overide the laws!!

SM

SM

'Course I read what you wrote.

It appears you didn't read what I wrote.

Since we don't know how Special Orders work with synthetics, it might be the cause of Ash's odd behaviour.

No need to get all stroppy.

QuoteYou know what? You're right. There is no way that in 57 years they could have possibly upgraded the programming in robots.

Or post things that don't appear to have any apparent relevance...  ???

Newsfop

Newsfop

That's what you think.  :P

Naw naw naw, I'm just yankin' ya.  ;D

SM

SM

Clearly...

Vader the White

Vader the White

Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2007, 01:46:41 AM
'Course I read what you wrote.

It appears you didn't read what I wrote.

Since we don't know how Special Orders work with synthetics, it might be the cause of Ash's odd behaviour.

No need to get all stroppy.

QuoteYou know what? You're right. There is no way that in 57 years they could have possibly upgraded the programming in robots.

Or post things that don't appear to have any apparent relevance...  ???
I'm just saying a order is an order, no matter if it is special. It is very unlikely that that is the cause, because we know that he wasnt' programed with the  laws of robotics and that orders cannot override the laws of robotics because of the second law.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed