Queen's secondary set of arms.

Started by Meathead320, Jan 28, 2007, 01:59:53 AM

Author
Queen's secondary set of arms. (Read 10,303 times)

Meathead320

Meathead320

In all the films that have displayed a Queen, the Queen's have had a smaller secondary set of arms extending from the center of her chest area.

There have been a lot of theories as to what purpose they serve, from eating to mating etc...

I think for several reasons that these theories are a little too complex, although they do have some merit.

The theory that I like the most is the most simple one.

See the Dark Horse comics AVP deadliest of the species for this one.

Egg carrying.

There is only one situation where she would ever have to do this.

Leaving the nest in an emergency.

In A2 there were no good eggs left to grab, as Ripley had torched them, and that may be why the Queen did not do this there. It does not mean she would not have if there were still some good eggs close by. Same thing with the AVP Queen. There were no convenient eggs for her to grab either.

In other situation of emergency, with eggs available, the Queen could use these smaller secondary arms to grab and egg or two before she leaves her nest. This way she would have eggs to make more aliens to help gather hosts in a new hive before she is even done regenerating her egg sack.

With the secondary arms holding the egg(s) she would still have her bigger primary arms freed up to do "whatever it takes" to survive.

This way she could functionally move with all the advantages of an adult alien, other than her massive size, get out of the hive, and still be able to take an egg or two with her.

Newsfop

Newsfop

What does Mr. Cameron have to say about it? He designed it. Anderson merely copied Cameron's designs. I'm sure he has no clue.

SM

SM

Most Queens would have other children to carry eggs.

I reckon it's just an evolutionary throwback.

Meathead320

Quote from: Newsfop on Jan 28, 2007, 05:00:33 AM
What does Mr. Cameron have to say about it? He designed it. Anderson merely copied Cameron's designs. I'm sure he has no clue.

Of course he put them on just to make her look scary, I am sure he does not put that much thought into what they would be used for.

I bet if he, or another director where to simply read the egg holder idea he would jump all over it as if it was his idea in the first place.

Newsfop

Newsfop

Quote from: SM on Jan 28, 2007, 10:43:31 AM
Most Queens would have other children to carry eggs.

I reckon it's just an evolutionary throwback.

Or maybe like why men have nipples . . .

Meathead320

Both men and women have nipples because they are attached to a heterozygote chromosome chain elsewhere. Males will always have them.

I still like to think that all parts of the Alien's anatomy serve some sort of function.

The secondary arms seem perfectly suited to the task of carrying an egg while the bigger primary arms are then free to move.

Even if she had one adult alien left, this way the adult would not have to be running around armless either, and could still be all the more useful its the Queen.

SM

SM

Since Queens essentially stay in the one spot I don't really see the point in having a whole extra set of arms to carry one egg.  Be easier to carry it in one hand or for the hugger to simply hatch the hitch a ride, or for the Queen to carry the egg on her back between the dorsal spines.

Predator Schwarzenegger

Predator Schwarzenegger

I always thought they were for shifting eggs around the 'nest'. Her big arms aren't delicate enough.

SM

SM

Her hands can't even reach the eggs she's laying.  How's she going to move them around?

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

I agree with SM. Hell, It would make more sense that she moved the eggs with her tail. I don't really have a clue what the little arms could be for though.

SM

SM

Applying makeup while she's driving.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

wow, Im surprised I didnt see that, the answer is so obvious! lol  :P

Lets just say they are for defence. Like the queen moves her head back under her crown and covers the bottom of it with those hands when in server danger or something, and still ahs her tail and main arms to attack with.

Meathead320

Meathead320

Quote from: Eidotemit on Jan 30, 2007, 01:07:53 AM
wow, Im surprised I didnt see that, the answer is so obvious! lol  :P

Lets just say they are for defence. Like the queen moves her head back under her crown and covers the bottom of it with those hands when in server danger or something, and still ahs her tail and main arms to attack with.

You get a COOKIE!

LOL,

Yeah I suppose a defense use may be there.

Perhaps there is no one reason, they could be for multitasking.

They are still the length of a human arm, with an even bigger hand, so they would have a longer arm.

She could use them for several possible tasks.

Neck protection, egg holding.

Even attacking, she could hold a victim in place with them, and tear them apart with the bigger arms.

Stuffing an egg between her back spike plates and her spine? Depends how much joint control she has over the direction of the spines. If she has a lot I am willing to bet she could do this too. Facehuggers hitching a ride, "sure hop on!"

Meathead320

Meathead320

Quote from: SM on Jan 30, 2007, 01:01:10 AM
Applying makeup while she's driving.

Ohh hell yeah, that too, my fiance would love to have that extra set of arms.

SM

SM

QuoteDepends how much joint control she has over the direction of the spines.

She fit into that landing gear well, so I'm betting she got plenty good joint control.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed