The Space Jockey.

Started by Gekko1, Jul 14, 2012, 02:51:39 PM

Would you be happier if the Engineers in Prometheus and the Space Jockey in ALIEN were NOT the same species?

Yes
30 (43.5%)
No
39 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author
The Space Jockey. (Read 10,641 times)

Highland

Highland

You know that scene in Groundhog day, when he wakes up and that tune goes off....?

Gekko1

Gekko1

Quote from: Highland on Jul 16, 2012, 10:42:37 PM
Nope. That's not what I was highlighting at all. Had the poll asked. "Would you have preferred the Engineers and Space Jockey's to be a different race?" Nothing wrong with that at all, in fact I probably would have.

Race:

Anthropology .
a.
any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.
an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.
a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.

Species:

Biology . the major subdivision of a genus or subgenus, regarded as the basic category of biological classification, composed of related individuals that resemble one another, are able to breed among themselves, but are not able to breed with members of another species.

The question was worded correctly.

QuoteAs far as I can see this poll is for dreamers and retards that even though in light of the FACTS, STILL want to believe that they are something else. Which lets face it, is f**king stupid. It might as well say "Would you like Prometheus better if David turns out to be human"

"Dreamers", "retards" and "f**king stupid". All this for simply asking people's opinions? Seriously! ::)

QuoteIts "Fresh" on Rotten tomatoes.

I had a good read through the reviews there and the "Fresh" rating is quite ambiguous really. Many, many people point out their disappointment to various things yet their views do not reflect in the score.

Quote from: Highland on Jul 16, 2012, 10:42:37 PM
Nothing to say to space Jesus. Yet another new member with a couple of hundred posts trolling left right and centre. Ironically the best quality movie in the last 10 years has also attracted the largest amount of chumps. We didn't even have this level of knob jockey's when AVPR hit.

So, new people can't come to this site and offer their opinions? Only people with more than "a couple of hundred posts" are worthy? You're an arrogant bastard aren't you!

Highland

Highland

You're opinion is fine mate think what you like but that's not what is intended and that's not what is on film. It's just that since this movie has hit, these so called Prometheus fans have done nothing but fill this forum with the same bullshit day after day and a good portion of these people are new members.

Fresh is fresh. The movie has a positive rating over a large sample , on every site including this fan site so I don't think you have an argument there.

Besides , look back at the thread. I initially voted in you're poll. I quoted a comment to back my thoughts and then you went all on the defensive when you got a couple of negative comments. Then outa left field you start using words like "Bully" when really we were only sharing our point of view - which apparently is not allowed in this thread for "open minded people".

I mean who's the one flying off the handle here??  :D

As for calling me arrogant, do you really think SpaceJesus input into the thread was acceptable? Considering he did not post  a single word to do with the subject matter and went straight for the two guy's who disagreed??? You think it's ok to spout that shit? No it's not. Totally uncalled for. 

Like I said it's you thread, you continue. I believe as was intended on film and what has been said directly by the director and writer.

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: SpaceJesus on Jul 16, 2012, 04:21:31 PM
Quote from: episodenone on Jul 16, 2012, 11:15:49 AM
Highland - I do believe we were just criticized for being "too smart"   ;D
Quote from: Highland on Jul 16, 2012, 05:09:26 AM
Another one bites the dust. This place should be back to normal in no time  :D

You guys are a cupla chummy butt pirates now aren't ya. Delusions of superiority and all.  You should exchange information so you can actually stroke each other off in real life next time.  You can go out to dinner, look longingly into each other's eyes, and talk about just how fantastic Prometheus really was and how when the sequel comes out you can go see it together and make out during all the scenes that make your superiority complexes burn white hot with desire for one another.  Later on in the hotel room you can roleplay.  Episodeone you can be the Engineer and Highland can be the trilobyte raping you with his embryonic tube while flailing his arms wildly in imitation of the tentacles of his most favoritest monster in the most awesomest movie of all time ever.

if that was funny i might have laughed.  it sure is strange for you have that fantasy waiting in the back of your mind to finally find its spot to burst onto the internet.

what none of you who are criticizing me [i wont presume to speak for my homosexual internet lovers] is that i am all for criticising this movie and analyzing it and discussing it.

rationally and logically. 

but to sit here and say "Ridley Scott wanted to make a movie about who the Space Jockey's are" and then sit and discuss that he never did that and the SJ's and Engineers are 2 different races -- well, I'd call it ignorance while you inexplicably think it's a difference of opinion.

You'll also note that I never post "Prometheus is best movie ever so there"

I discuss things about the movie and posit theories based on empirical evidence.

While the posts that make me so annoyed are "This movie sucked because I hated and and so did everyone else" or "Ridley will never make another movie because he will forever sit in an empty room cutting himself to hide his shame re: Prometheus being so terrible and Fox telling him what to do"

Blind devotion - hardly - I loved the movie and think Ridley did a great job and can back it up with detailed discussion.  And since I liked the movie - I keep coming back to discuss it.  I don;t have much of a choice to argue with "haters" because they do their best to dominate every thread.

What I don;t do is sit in chat rooms to discuss movies I hated like "latest love story I went to see with my wife" because that would be silly - and no one would understand me when I tried to explain the 2 brothers in the movie were gay lovers and bratt pitt was never in love with angelina -- and the marriage at the end was a fake -- I never saw the priest wearing a cross - plus they got married at a beach and not a church because gay men are not allowed to marry in churches

Unfortunately -- I doubt that will make you understand me.

So, here goes:

i wubbed permesheus cuz it wuz funnee da way i saws monster eat thins and ships fly undawater n eberyone on earth luvs it too

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Quote from: SM on Jul 17, 2012, 03:34:54 AM
QuoteIs it not true Prometheus wasn't great for most people, even if they have other reasons to enjoy it?   

Average vote at IMDB is 7.6.  Compared to 8.5 for Alien and Aliens and 7.8 for Predator.  "Let's be honest", looks like an overwhelming majority didn't think it was "mediocre".
I remember having compiled a comparison table of some scifi movies:

CriticsAudience
TitleT Meter   Rating   Count   Liked   Rating   Count   
Aliens100% 8.9 50 90% 3.8 374,363
Alien97% 8.7 88 90% 3.8 406,570
The Dark Night94% 8.4 283 96% 4.5 1,167,871
Iron Man94% 7.6 237 91% 4.2 856,399
Blade Runner92% 8.5 103 89% 4.0 288,583
Marvel's The Avengers   92% 8.0 279 96% 4.6 450,337
District 991% 7.8 255 81% 3.3 1,059,276
Source Code91% 7.5 231 81% 3.9 97,010
The Matrix87% 7.4 128 81% 3.6 31,759,302
Inception86% 8.0 281 93% 4.0 346,136
The Hunger Games85% 7.3 259 85% 4.2 170,211
Avatar83% 7.4 283 92% 4.2 622,949
Predator76% 6.8 37 83% 3.5 352,090 (no consensus yet)
Prometheus73% 6.9 248 72% 3.7 161,734

source:www.rottentomatoes.com

Predator has not reached consensus yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed