Finding good things in despised movies

Started by jacobo1122, Oct 03, 2023, 02:40:35 PM

Author
Finding good things in despised movies (Read 424 times)

jacobo1122

Hey, I like looking on things positivly, trying to find good aspects even in bad products. So lets do it with black sheep of our favourite movie series. Wether it is paricular scene, some plot points, visuals or performances, lets try to point them out in bad movies, because I think that particularry in those series in every movie there are some saving points, even if few. Consider it as my way to make You all say some good things about The Predator and Resurrection ;)

Okay, so for me there are only four Aliens/Predator movies that are really bad: AvP, AvPR, Predators and Prometheus.

In AvP I like that there is balance to Predators/Aliens conflict. Neither of the species seems overpowered, Alien can use stealth and easily kill Yautja sneaking on him and is a match for Predator in one on one meele combat. Capable Predator with full weaponary can keep Aliens on distance and kill whole bunch of them from afar. I also like good usage of both practical and computer generated effects, thus leading to my favourite scene in the movie: Celtic vs. Grid fight. Yeah, it's a little shaky an chaotic, but with difficulties of directing a fight between two guys in heavy, unpractical suits, it looks nice, juggling between CGI and guys in costumes. Shame that it is only proper long AvP fight in AvP movie.

With AvPR I like it irronicly as low class small town alien invasion movie. I doubt that was directors' intention, or even if it was, they couldn't get a proper feel of that kind of movies, but still it can be a little entertaining as such. Similiary to first movie, I think that there still is that balance in both creatures' strengths. Sure, we have one awesome Predator destroying a lot of Aliens, but he is supposed to be elite, heavy armed hunter, and he still must be Constantly on guard, and gets hurt often. Speaking of Predator, Wolf is one of the best, most badass ones out there, shame that he isn't in better movie. Oh, And I really like Predalien design, and its practical suit, if only we could see anything in this movie :)

In Predators concept of the hunting preserve is very interesting, Predators' designs are badass, and seeing first on screen Predator vs. Predator fight was exciting, if a little bit uninteresingly directed. Also last fight was pretty thrilling.

Prometheus has tons of interesting ideas and concepts that I appreciate, even if they are badly handled. Also I love cosmic, lovecraftian horror and in its best moments Prometheus is filled with it. It resembles In the Mountains of Madness closely in fact. This movie is also visually stunning. Also, I like concept of black goo. Sure, it is mishandled in the movie itself, leading to most people not knowing how it really works, even to this day, but it expands the universe, presents new gruesome monsters and gives writers an opportunity to interesting experiments, so we can get brilliant ideas like those coming from Alex White's Works.
Okay, that's it from me :)

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Oct 03, 2023, 02:40:35 PMOkay, so for me there are only four Aliens/Predator movies that are really bad: AvP, AvPR, Predators and Prometheus.

Interesting choices... so just to clarify, you feel 'The Predator' is better than all of those movies? 😅
(I ask as that would be my number one overall stinker-of-all-stinkers in the franchise)

And with that being said... I really, really can't think of any positive to say about it (maybe at a reach, the connection to Predator 2 with Jake Busey, the real-life son of Gary Busey taking over the Predator research?)

So in the interest of not being negative, I'll go with my 2nd worst in the franchise, AvP:R - one positive I like is the alternative reproduction cycle of the predalien. I like that it didn't just conform with 'Aliens' like the expanded media does, and demonstrated that the species adapts in a variety of ways /to meet its needs, and is more than simply "a big bug". 😊

jacobo1122

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 03, 2023, 03:07:02 PM
Quote from: jacobo1122 on Oct 03, 2023, 02:40:35 PMOkay, so for me there are only four Aliens/Predator movies that are really bad: AvP, AvPR, Predators and Prometheus.

Interesting choices... so just to clarify, you feel 'The Predator' is better than all of those movies? 😅
(I ask as that would be my number one overall stinker-of-all-stinkers in the franchise)

Yeah, I actually like The Predator. As B-class, dumb fun sci-fi shlock it is very entertaining watch and that was a specific direction that Shane Black went with it. I like its humor, different than usual cast of characters, and how its subverts some well know tropes from previous Predator movies. It has some serious flaws, like being the worst in the Series from visual standpoint, visible reshoots, and that dumb changing of Predarors' goals, but overall, it's for me third best Predator movie. I know that I'm in huuuge minority here :)

littlesprout

Alien 3 I appreciate more after all these years and enjoy the lil doggo alien.

Alien Resurrection has a cool concept of them finally captivating the alien and I actually like the design of the alien.

Opposed to most I like the lure established in AVP.

AVPR I liked the costume designs, and opening scene on the ship.

Predators brought a new dimension to the franchise that I think could be hit in it later films, especially the super predators.

The Predator had a cool crash scene, and escape scene. I liked the cast members.

Prometheus brought some stunning visuals and I think is a great stand alone film.

Alien Covenant was amazing for 2/3's of the film.

Prey had some cool cinematic shots, as well as the predator hunting game. If I think of feral as just another strand of predator - such as the supers - it makes me appreciate its design more.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Oct 03, 2023, 03:46:47 PM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 03, 2023, 03:07:02 PM

Yeah, I actually like The Predator. As B-class, dumb fun sci-fi shlock it is very entertaining watch and that was a specific direction that Shane Black went with it. I like its humor, different than usual cast of characters, and how its subverts some well know tropes from previous Predator movies. It has some serious flaws, like being the worst in the Series from visual standpoint, visible reshoots, and that dumb changing of Predarors' goals, but overall, it's for me third best Predator movie. I know that I'm in huuuge minority here :)

Nothing wrong with being in the minority - it's the diversity of the fandom that makes this place great! 😁

If we're talking hot takes, I prefer Alien 3 over Aliens 🙂

jacobo1122

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 03, 2023, 07:46:09 PMNothing wrong with being in the minority - it's the diversity of the fandom that makes this place great! 😁

If we're talking hot takes, I prefer Alien 3 over Aliens 🙂

I can totally see why, Alien 3 is great movie with remarkable atmosphere, and I will always respect Fincher for making really good movie despite production hell he went through. I really love whole original quadrilogy, every movie in it is distinct and all of them are great in what they aim for. I still think that Alien and Aliens are the best, 3 and Resurrection have some problems, but regardless, in my opinion You can't choose wrong among those four :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed