The Official Video Thread

Started by kvon17, Jun 08, 2009, 05:09:29 AM

Author
The Official Video Thread (Read 381,199 times)

Pandrix

Pandrix

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jan 25, 2010, 10:52:23 AM
Wait, that was on easy?

Those Aliens had as much health as the Aliens in AvP2 had on Hard mode. Perhaps more.

Medium/hard/nightmare are going to be tough.
Do you really wanna start off on hard difficulty now? ;)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Damn straight, kid.

I'll show those Aliens how the 'REENS GET THINGS DONE.

STATE OF THE BADASS ART.

Stalker

Stalker

Nightmare is the only way to go in my opinion- what's the point in playing a tense, scary game if all the monsters are watered down to be weak & non-threatening by playing a lower difficulty?

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

The point is different skill levels.

People want to play a consistent narrative experience, and if the game is too hard, then that'll be too fractured and frustrating to achieve. I'll be playing it on hard mode because I want to be punished for every mistake - Aliens and Predators are the biggest badasses in the universe and should act as such. In addition, I have a pretty good skill level when it comes to first-person shooters.

But for someone more panicky and less precise with their shots, normal (or even easy!) might be the better choice, because it could still offer a decent challenge to them without breaking up narrative progress too much.

The trick is to find a difficulty where you're getting by, but only by a hair's breadth.

Puks

Puks

Superman resilience won't help them (especially since you can smack em with a pathetic little pistol) if they are slow and behave like tards . They just stand around the rine, not even trying to kill him for most of the time. They just friggin stand around.. if three aliens would be near me like that in both previous games, I'd be dead in a few seconds. Even on easy.

QuoteI'll be playing it on hard mode because I want to be punished for every mistake - Aliens and Predators are the biggest badasses in the universe and should act as such. In addition, I have a pretty good skill level when it comes to first-person shooters.

Same here. I'll be playing this on Hard mode first and then I want to be punished on Nightmare.

gloatingdazz

gloatingdazz

Quote from: Puks on Jan 25, 2010, 11:00:24 AM
Superman resilience won't help them (especially since you can smack em with a pathetic little pistol) if they are slow and behave like tards . They just stand around the rine, not even trying to kill him for most of the time. They just friggin stand around.. if three aliens would be near me like that in both previous games, I'd be dead in a few seconds. Even on easy.
wow u complain alot dont ya? just wait till the game is released remember all the vids so far are work in progress things can change

AJL

AJL

In my opinion:

Alien should be clearly dominant in Melee...

Their attacks should be clearly faster/stronger/easier (More effective) than Predator
melee attacks... And their strenght should be superior over Preds. (which means that
in every grab attack and trophy kill struggle and such they should always have the
upper hand...)

Predators maybe able win in melee fight with Aliens but only through Clearly Superior
skills... And Marines changes in melee with Aliens should be just non existent...

But aliens should be purely Melee fighters...

They shouldn't have any uber jumps which let them glide from one side of the map to
the other very quickly and they shouldn't have any uber speed either... (They maybe
able to sprint faster than Humans/Preds but only marginally and only for a short time)

They shouldn't hunt by running down their prey like some Cheetah... More like some
Lion... They should need to utilize sneaking and stalking tactics to get close to their
prey and then close in the final meters with quick leap/charge... Followed by quick
and quite kill...

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I think you're overreacting. The AvP1 Aliens were badass, sure, but the AvP2 ones just ate shit and died all the time. These ones are actually faster than them and clearly act more intelligently. For instance, they seem to choose attack paths that are covered (which you might've noticed was foiled by convenient explosive barrel placement). In other videos, we've seen them, again, take routes that are covered by darkness or objects and kill AI Marines in one hit.

In addition, they don't announce their presence like in the previous games. In both the Predator and Marine videos, we've seen the player take damage from behind with absolutely no warning. In both previous games, the Aliens were much louder as a general thing and in AvP2, rarely (if ever, to my memory) attacked you from behind.

EDIT: It'd be cool to witness some Alien vs. Predator fights as a Marine in SP, especially if Rebellion break away from the cliche and don't have the Predators utterly dominating the Aliens.

Puks

Puks

QuoteI think you're overreacting.

I'm a butthurt alien fanboy. BAAAAAAWWWWW.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

So am I.

But if you look at this and compare the situation to every other game and every comic, ever, the Aliens we've seen are the strongest they've ever been, perhaps just shy of the Alien movies themselves. The bash/block move might be truly justified on harder difficulties due to the Aliens having impossibly large amounts of health and therefore being truly difficult to kill before making hand-to-hand combat range.

Hell, the Aliens being this resilient make Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez, Gorman and Ripley seem like even bigger badasses than we already thought they were.

Puks

Puks

Quoteharder difficulties due to the Aliens having impossibly large amounts of health

I really hope this isn't the case. I'm fine with the resilience, they take a lot of punishment, but I'd prefer if the difficulty wasn't based on enemy health, rather the player's health and number of enemies. Endlessly spawning aliens on director's cut back in '99 were the shit!  ;D

Stalker

Stalker

Quote from: Puks on Jan 25, 2010, 11:00:24 AM

I'm sure the difficulty will affect the AI too, they will probably be much more relentless & aggressive on the higher levels. I'm sure I remember Rebellion saying they are significantly toned down on the lower settings, including their speed. Aliens on Nightmare might be able to descend upon you & kill you before you even know what happened.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Ayup.

Puks, I want the Alien to be every bit as powerful as in the films. And on Easy mode, we see them being just shy of that.

We're gonna get f**ked, and not in the nice squishy way.

More like to horrid throaty way.

Puks

Puks

You guys better be right. I wanna get f**ked bad. And often.

Stalker

Stalker

You make it sound so dirty, heheh.

If I remember right, in the E3 predator demo one of the Rebellion devs said he had already died while showing off the game several times, just to give an idea of how difficult it could be.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed