The Official Video Thread

Started by kvon17, Jun 08, 2009, 05:09:29 AM

Author
The Official Video Thread (Read 381,197 times)

Corporate Merc

Corporate Merc

WOOOW that trailer is pretty kick ass, Ive never seen so much gore in a video game before. Sega's really teasing us w/ some good stuff. Cant wait to try out all those killer moves.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ijapa on Jan 17, 2010, 04:39:37 AM
Gotta be honest and say the gameplay video diminishes my enthusiasm. The AI looks ... well, predictably dumb. The Alien was facehugging a guy while his buddy stood still literally five feet away because he was on the other side of a car. You'd assume the screams and hissing and wet sounds would encourage him to get the f**k out of there. It was funny to see him immediately book it when the Alien rounded the bumper. Plus not reacting to the sound of lights being shattered, etc.

Plus plus, I'm getting a vibe that this is going to be mediocrity at its finest. Trophy kills a game does not make.

even if all you say is true, AvP could still be an excellent multiplayer experience

I think it would be a good idea for Rebellion to make the AI very responsive on higher difficulty levels

For instance when you land behind a marine as a predator, the marine immediately responds to the thudding noise

Ijapa

Ijapa

Quote from: happypred on Jan 17, 2010, 06:44:54 AM
Quote from: Ijapa on Jan 17, 2010, 04:39:37 AM
Gotta be honest and say the gameplay video diminishes my enthusiasm. The AI looks ... well, predictably dumb. The Alien was facehugging a guy while his buddy stood still literally five feet away because he was on the other side of a car. You'd assume the screams and hissing and wet sounds would encourage him to get the f**k out of there. It was funny to see him immediately book it when the Alien rounded the bumper. Plus not reacting to the sound of lights being shattered, etc.

Plus plus, I'm getting a vibe that this is going to be mediocrity at its finest. Trophy kills a game does not make.

even if all you say is true, AvP could still be an excellent multiplayer experience

I think it would be a good idea for Rebellion to make the AI very responsive on higher difficulty levels

For instance when you land behind a marine as a predator, the marine immediately responds to the thudding noise

Could be, but it's definitely disappointing to see AvP fall prey (pun intended) to a pretty obvious and distracting gameplay mechanic like that. If they didn't make such a big deal out of the sneaky times elements it would be less of buzzkiller. BUT, they made a to-do about all of it and then you just kinda have to roll your eyes at the big reveal. It's very the opposite of immersive. It's silly to have some kinda meter telling me how well-hidden I am in the dark, but I can drag my bulkhead door smashing claws along the ceiling without so much as a peep outta the guys below me. 

Stalker

Stalker

I think the stealth elements will make the game more interesting. In AVP2 you just ran around tearing up everything in your way, no strategy or thought involved at all.

Admittedly though, some of the kill moves do seem like they would attract more attention. The marine turns & stares at you with mouth agape for a full 2-3 seconds before you cut his head off with the tail, & he doesn't even let out a gasp. I find that hard to believe.

safetyman

safetyman

When I saw the gameplay I was relieved to see that people don't just run away screaming and crying as soon as there's the slightest hint of something unknown lurking around, like in AvP2. It just made it into a mindless slasher. Now you can actually walk on a dark roof just above peoples heads without being seen - just like you would be able to in real life - Instead of being instantly spotted and shot at by a completely stationary marine who you then proceed to mindlessly kill and eat, rinse and repeat until the level ends.

I hope they also didn't design the levels to be like AvP2 where, if you got lost, you could easily spend 5-10 minutes just walking around the now familiar-to-the-point-where-you-just-feel-like-quitting level until you find that magic opening where you were supposed to go all along, but since you didn't find it when you were supposed to, got stuck going in circles.

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

I personaly think the Single Player experience is gonna be remarkable. Can't wait for this game!.

Drone23

Drone23

As I was just rewatching the videos, I was on the Marine Trailer when I noticed something, I remember in the wish list thread saying I would love it if when you changed vision modes as the Predator you're eyes flashed, at the end of the trailer as the Predator picks the Marine up about to Trophy kill him.. His eye's flashed... all  I wanted  ;D
Probably due to the trophy kill and not changing vision modes, either way I'm happy.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ijapa on Jan 17, 2010, 07:51:16 AM
Could be, but it's definitely disappointing to see AvP fall prey (pun intended) to a pretty obvious and distracting gameplay mechanic like that. If they didn't make such a big deal out of the sneaky times elements it would be less of buzzkiller. BUT, they made a to-do about all of it and then you just kinda have to roll your eyes at the big reveal. It's very the opposite of immersive. It's silly to have some kinda meter telling me how well-hidden I am in the dark, but I can drag my bulkhead door smashing claws along the ceiling without so much as a peep outta the guys below me.

in one of the demos a marine was facing a corner with his back to the open, the player-controlled predator just walked up to him and rammed his wristblades into the marine's back . . . I hope the AI was dumbed down in that clip just so the guy demonstrating the game could easily show stealth kills

Brother

Brother

Maybe. In the SP gameplay footage from GRY, an alien pouncing from one wall to another looked nice. But when three aliens do it looks suspicious.

Zephon

Zephon

Well.. the guy was playing on "normal" difficulty, it could quite possibly affect the AI. Let's hope it's different on "Nightmare".

Brother

Brother

The different difficulty should make it so that enemies can take more/less damage. I don't see why the AI should be affected by the difficulty. 

Puks

Puks

In AvP '99 the difficulty setting determined the number of enemies, their respawn rate and whether acid did damage to you.

Brother

Brother

Yes that too.

AJL

AJL

Quote from: Brother on Jan 17, 2010, 08:58:19 PM
The different difficulty should make it so that enemies can take more/less damage. I don't see why the AI should be affected by the difficulty.

No... Enemies should take same "realistic" amount of damage regardless of the difficulty IMO
and the number of enemies should remain the same fitting amount to the situation...

Difficulty should mostly affect how effectively enemies can kill the player... On Hardest their
attacks/weapons should be equal to players and on easier settings they should be weaker of
course... In addition the difficulty could affect things like: How fast they react, how well
they aim...

Zephon

Zephon

Yeah in old games the AI just does more damage and has more health.... These days difficulty does affect the AI. > Enemies flank you more, take cover more. Etc etc...  It's not impossible that it influences their enviromental aweress... I hope it does. <.<

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed