The Official Video Thread

Started by kvon17, Jun 08, 2009, 05:09:29 AM

Author
The Official Video Thread (Read 381,211 times)

kvon17

kvon17

It would be different. That's his point. THAT would be something innovative. THAT would be immersing the player into the character.

randy4321

randy4321

Quote from: Yutani on Jun 25, 2009, 01:31:49 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 24, 2009, 10:56:22 PM
Quote from: Yutani on Jun 24, 2009, 08:49:44 PM
Well, Halo isnt a revolutionary game, and people get mad about it.

In a AVP game you have 3 different fps experiences in one game, thats something different in the FPS world.

It has more of an overhyped and recent base of fans, as a game. With this, it's been a while since the last one. :)

I'm still waiting for something which shows that each species is a different experience. With the Predator being able to see in human vision, it doesn't differ much from the Colonial Marine's own perspective.

Well, you can use only the other vision modes, if you want. The "human" vision its for eye-candy. Force players to play the pred campaing in a continuos blue or grey blur vision will be....well, strange.

Force"? Pssh i'll run around without using the visions if I have to lol, hopefully theres an achievement for doing something suicidal and hardcore like that.

rikiiy

rikiiy

yeah forcing players to play a particular way is reary bad!!

ajm

ajm

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 24, 2009, 10:56:22 PM
I'm still waiting for something which shows that each species is a different experience. With the Predator being able to see in human vision, it doesn't differ much from the Colonial Marine's own perspective.

Dunno about you but I've never been able to jump around in trees in Halo or rip people's heads off.

So far all we've seen is the Predator.  Sure there'll be footage of the other species in the coming months.

kvon17

kvon17

ripping someone's head off is not a "unique gameplay mechanic." It's just an over glorified plasma sword lunge.

Forcing you to play a certain way is bad? It's not forcing you to play a certain way, it's forcing you to BE the character.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Yutani on Jun 25, 2009, 01:31:49 AM
Well, you can use only the other vision modes, if you want. The "human" vision its for eye-candy. Force players to play the pred campaing in a continuos blue or grey blur vision will be....well, strange.

Easily countered by doing what I suggested, a while back: allowing access to it, if you choose to access a third-person perspective. Something which could be negated, at certain realism difficulty levels.

Besides, if they keep on installing all of these artificial 'balances', forcing the user to only see through the vision modes a Predator really has, would be both athentic and an obvious way of doing that. :)

Quote from: ajm on Jun 25, 2009, 12:44:35 PM
Dunno about you but I've never been able to jump around in trees in Halo or rip people's heads off.

Is that the only game you've ever played? Because I've been able to do that in plenty of others. :)

QuoteSo far all we've seen is the Predator.  Sure there'll be footage of the other species in the coming months.

Yeah, but if the other games they've done in this series, is anything to go by, the only real differences will be couple of slightly different abilities and weapons. There are not yet any indications of properly immersing the character in what it's like to be a Predator, Alien or Colonial Marine. It really does look like the only differene is going to be different weapons and a slightly different HUD arrangement of information.

There are ways of doing this, of using psychology to help you take on aaa specific species' mindset, but it looks like they're relying on the story mode and the environmental circumstances to supply that.

While there's nothing wrong in doing so, it's nothing revolutionary, either and we should have moved beyond that, by now. It's very 'Doom'.

Quote from: kvon17 on Jun 25, 2009, 04:05:32 PM
ripping someone's head off is not a "unique gameplay mechanic." It's just an over glorified plasma sword lunge.

Correct. :)

Different animations are not what should exclusively separate different ways of neutralising a character.

QuoteForcing you to play a certain way is bad? It's not forcing you to play a certain way, it's forcing you to BE the character.

And this is something which is actually more important than most people realise, when you have three different perspectives to sell! If they're all effectively the same as one another, then replaying the same events from different perspectives is going to encounter the danger of feeling repetitive.

Keep in mind that I'm reserving judgement until we get all the information. I can only go on what we know, so far. What we do know, however, is not giving me much hope that this shall change.

JayHy17

JayHy17

This game has all summer, fall, and winter to be worked on. The simple fact that we are getting 3 new Aliens games in one year is just amazing. I turn 25 in January, what a great year for my 25th anniversary, i get 3 Alien games, a predator movie, and possibly the Quadrilogy on freakin blu ray! good lord ima shit my pants!!!

Yutani

Yutani

If force players to play in Pred's heat vision mode its now an awesome gameplay mechanic, BUT the ability of aliens to cocoon humans using them as check points, respawning as face huggers looking for a host in all the alien cycle fashion way ITS just nothing new...

...Im having the feeling that rebellion its totally rigth...and some people arround here have the most strange concept of "gameplay", i have ever seen in my life.

;D

kvon17

kvon17

We've been over this. The cocooning isn't "new." And I'm sorry, but "Create-your-own checkpoint" might be different than every other game with checkpoints... but... it's still not some massively cool and never been done before gameplay mechanic. Kinda like trophy kills being no different than Halo Plasma Sword lunges.

It just means instead of a little bit of text popping up on the HUD saying "Checkpoint Reached," you get to push a button to make your own checkpoint and you get a fancy animation.

rikiiy

rikiiy

I would really enjoy that alien way of checkpoints.

But I fear it may become really annoying and repetitive after a couple of deaths.

kvon17

kvon17

huh?

It just means when you die, you spawn at the last place you cocooned someone. Either cocoon someone farther up along the way, or stop dying :P lol.

randy4321

randy4321

Quote from: Yutani on Jun 26, 2009, 11:06:53 PM
If force players to play in Pred's heat vision mode its now an awesome gameplay mechanic, BUT the ability of aliens to cocoon humans using them as check points, respawning as face huggers looking for a host in all the alien cycle fashion way ITS just nothing new...

...Im having the feeling that rebellion its totally rigth...and some people arround here have the most strange concept of "gameplay", i have ever seen in my life.

;D
using cocooned humans or predators as checkpoints? havent heard of that..yet

kvon17

kvon17

it's in a magazine article. Rebellion also used it in their first AvP game.

AJL

AJL

Quote from: Yutani on Jun 26, 2009, 11:06:53 PM
If force players to play in Pred's heat vision mode its now an awesome gameplay mechanic...

Forcing pred players to use special vision modez at all times would be annoying...

Though it might be OK to force them to use their special modes while cloaked...

(The cloak is supposed to render preds invisible by bending the light around them,
which would also prevent it from getting into their eyes and so render them blind
if they are seeing in normal human like vision mode...)

But even then I think should be optional... Server option in MP and dependent
on difficulty or separate option in SP

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: kvon17 on Jun 27, 2009, 08:30:51 AM
Rebellion also used it in their first AvP game.

That's why I don't understand why it's getting heralded as something revolutionary. It was on their first ever game. They just took it out for the others. All they're doing is putting back an old idea.

I like it, I just don't think it's something to hype up as being somehow new and terribly innovative.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed