Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 682,146 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SamuelDL on Nov 24, 2016, 03:21:40 AM
In addition, that is located in the Earth and in the current time takes away much interest. Every good Alien movie needs a futuristic or extraterrestrial setting.

But they're not Alien movies, as the Alien movies explore other worlds.  To do that with a crossover would be a disservice.  They set Predators on an alien planet and it turned out lame.  The first AVP may as well be on an alien planet if you took away the opening scenes. 

SM

SM

I think they did more exploring of other worlds in Predators than any Alien flick.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2017, 12:29:37 AM
I think they did more exploring of other worlds in Predators than any Alien flick.

You're absolutely right.  The whole movie they were exploring Hawaii* an alien planet.  That's more than any Alien movie.   :P

*And parts of Texas apparently.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SrSpinelli on Jan 03, 2017, 03:32:40 PM
Scar and Wolf had Plotarmor
How did Scar have plot armour? He got face-hugged minutes after the other two Predators died, got impaled through the shoulder by an Alien, impaled through the chest by the Queen, and finally chest burster'ed. Plot armour is when you walk out without a scratch like Wolf, not when you basically lose every fight you're in.

SrSpinelli

SrSpinelli

Quote from: SiL on Jan 04, 2017, 07:29:25 AM
Quote from: SrSpinelli on Jan 03, 2017, 03:32:40 PM
Scar and Wolf had Plotarmor
How did Scar have plot armour? He got face-hugged minutes after the other two Predators died, got impaled through the shoulder by an Alien, impaled through the chest by the Queen, and finally chest burster'ed. Plot armour is when you walk out without a scratch like Wolf, not when you basically lose every fight you're in.
So him not getting chestbursted in some minutes like the Humans(even if you bring the argument that it's longer because he is from a different species, it doesn't make sense because of how long it toke for the chestburster to do it's thing.), surviving being impaled, and surviving every fight except for the last one is not plot armor?

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 03, 2017, 09:36:56 PM

Yeah, a plot device is what moves the story a long. I don't see how Grid fits into that.
Killing two Predators in less than 3 minutes made the story move forward alot. Aswell as taking that guy that I don't remember the name. And aways appear leading the Xenos

SM

SM

I don't see how he falls into the category of 'plot device'.  He's an antagonist.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SrSpinelli on Jan 07, 2017, 10:35:03 PM
(even if you bring the argument that it's longer because he is from a different species, it doesn't make sense because of how long it toke for the chestburster to do it's thing.),
Makes perfect sense. Predators take longer. The end.

Quotesurviving being impaled, and surviving every fight except for the last one is not plot armor?
No, it isn't. He survived his first encounter with an Alien by killing it before it could strike. He survived his second by throwing the Alien at Lex. He survived his third by shooting the Aliens. He survived his fourth by Lex shooting the Alien in the head. None of that says plot armour.

QuoteKilling two Predators in less than 3 minutes made the story move forward alot. Aswell as taking that guy that I don't remember the name. And aways appear leading the Xenos
That's not what a plot device is. That's called a character.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SamuelDL on Nov 24, 2016, 03:21:40 AM
Every good Alien movie needs a futuristic or extraterrestrial setting.

Not necessarily. I mean, with the action set on Antarctica, this as well may be an isolated, harsh, extraterrestrial planet

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

While I can agree with you there, I personally believe (regardless of past, present of future in the timeline) that an Alien film should be set elsewhere other than earth since such a big deal was made about what would happen if Aliens got to earth, that said isolated places like Antarctica could contain the Aliens well enough.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 02:27:42 PM
While I can agree with you there, I personally believe (regardless of past, present of future in the timeline) that an Alien film should be set elsewhere other than earth since such a big deal was made about what would happen if Aliens got to earth, that said isolated places like Antarctica could contain the Aliens well enough.

Thats right, Antarctica is the only place where they could be. Its so isolated from civilization, its so harsh in environment , without settlements, transports, people etc, that its basically as if its not set on Earth. I loved that idea, but any other place....it should end like it ended in Book I - world infestation and armageddon

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Only if the aliens survive, but they didn't, so the story could've happened anywhere.

Quotethat its basically as if its not set on Earth

Which makes me wonder what the point of being on Earth is in the first place.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jan 09, 2017, 01:23:00 PM
Budget
"Modern day relatability"

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Would a future setting have affected the budget that much?  Most of the film would still be shot in the studio.

The Alien films had plenty of modern day relatability without being stuck in 2004.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jan 09, 2017, 03:48:30 PM
Would a future setting have affected the budget that much?  Most of the film would still be shot in the studio.

The Alien films had plenty of modern day relatability without being stuck in 2004.

Weapon and vehicle-wise, a future setting requires creating them while a modern setting will allow the crew to use what is currently available

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jan 09, 2017, 01:23:00 PM
Only if the aliens survive, but they didn't, so the story could've happened anywhere.

Quotethat its basically as if its not set on Earth

They couldve call it some different planet and make their trip via spaceship instead of an icebreaker so there you go, thats why I dont see anything offensive with "how can aliens be on earth" in this very instance. As far as AVPR tho, thats a completely different ballgame

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed