New interview with Randy Pitchford

Started by Darkness, Sep 12, 2017, 07:02:24 PM

Author
New interview with Randy Pitchford (Read 52,262 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 09, 2018, 08:05:38 AM
It'd be nice to see more of what Bradley Thompson and the other writer whose name I can't currently remember did originally.

David Weddle I think. Gearbox supposedly had the original script on display in a glass cabinet in their offices. I think ACM and Infestation ended up contradicting each other with regards to continuity.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 09, 2018, 05:36:01 PM
I own AvP, A:CM and Alien Isolation yet I can't be arsed* to play any of them for some reason.  :-\

* - did I use that phrase correctly?

But surely you must play the "Stasis Interrupted" DLC all the time?

Xenomrph

I own AvP, A:CM and Alien Isolation yet I can't be arsed* to play any of them for some reason.  :-\

You're missing out with regard to Alien Isolation, it's fantastic (although it runs a little long in the tooth as it goes on).

Which AvP do you have? There's two of them on Steam - AvPClassic, and AvP2010.

SM

SM

Indeed.

QuoteI have. And I loved it. But I'd like more!! More!!! That was supposed to tie into CM somehow.

USS Sephora was in both games and both were post Aliens, but Infestation was set sometime before A:CM.  Then the Sulaco gets a massive hole blown in it at the end, supposedly defeating the Aliens and spins off into space - only to appear back at LV-426 undamaged and full of Aliens again.  Stasis Interrupted happens before Infestation though.  From memory.

tl;dr - It was supposed to tie in - but didn't.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 09, 2018, 08:05:38 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 09, 2018, 12:36:07 AM
I got A:CM for the 360 the other day as a 2 for $10 deal.  It's nice to be able to shoot Aliens in a resolution better than my PC can muster.  But it's giving me motion sickness playing a FPS on a big telly.  And I'm constantly reminded how badly delivered the dialogue is and that Mikey Neumann isn't very good at writing it.

It'd be nice to see more of what Bradley Thompson and the other writer whose name I can't currently remember did originally.

It would be nice.  It can't be worse 'Let's go after Reid.  Reid "...I almost died".  Reid "If that happens again you shoot me."  Bella "You do the same for me".  Let's go after O'Neal.  Reid "No way! I'm in charge!  Alright then but if we die it's your fault" *later* O'Neal shoots the chestburster but not Bella.

Sheer poetry.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 10, 2018, 12:13:23 AM
Which AvP do you have? There's two of them on Steam - AvPClassic, and AvP2010.

2010.  I don't have a gaming PC, just Xbox 360 E and Xbox One X consoles.  AvP and A:CM are only playable on the 360 so far, but I have the X1 version of Alien: Isolation.  Some developers have actually enhanced their old 360 titles for the X1X so I wonder if Sega would ever do that for A:CM. 

Isn't AvP for the Atari Jaguar the classic version?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Nah, Rebellion has made 3 AvP games- they did the Jaguar one, then one for PC in 1999 (and a"gold edition" update in 2000, that's AvPClassic on Steam) and then AvP2010.

AvPClassic is legitimately scary as shit - the Alien spawning is randomized in terms of number and placement except for a handful of examples, and the Aliens are stupid-fast, deal crazy damage, and their acid blood is lethal on higher difficulties. Facehuggers are one-hit-kill jumpscares, they're terrifying when you hear them scuttling around.

The controls for all three species are a little "floaty" and you move pretty fast - it's a byproduct of the game being made in the era of super-fast FPS games like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, etc.

The game is $5 on Steam and it's 18 years old, I bet even your non-gaming PC could run it if it's not, like, 10 years old and has any modicum of power under the hood. I'm phone-posting otherwise I'd grab the game's system requirements for you; i'd gamble you exceed them by a good margin.

Edit— got the system specs:

QuoteSYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Processor: Pentium II 400 MMX
Memory: 128MB
Graphics: DirectX compatible graphics card
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive:500MB
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
Controller Support: XBox 360 Controller for Windows[\quote]

I can't voich for playing it with a controller, I always use keyboard & mouse.

Local Trouble

Is it as good as A:CM?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 10, 2018, 04:46:38 PM
Is it as good as A:CM?
I know you're being facetious, but it's arguably one of my favorite Aliens/AvP games and in terms of replayability it's second to none because it's so unpredictable. It's really scary, but in a different way that Isolation - in AvPClassic, you've got a veritable arsenal at your disposal, but the enemies are so dangerous that it doesn't matter. It captures the 'Aliens' action/danger balance very well, whereas some other games can deteriorate into a power fantasy where you mow down Aliens by the dozen.

Local Trouble

Sounds like a good game.  They should remaster it for the current generation of consoles so I can play it like all my other games.

Can you make it fit?

Xenomrph

Aside from a pretty hilarious typo in the Marine prologue, sure, no problem. :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 10, 2018, 03:56:39 PM
Nah, Rebellion has made 3 AvP games- they did the Jaguar one, then one for PC in 1999 (and a"gold edition" update in 2000, that's AvPClassic on Steam) and then AvP2010.

:o You forgot AvP Requiem!

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 11, 2018, 07:02:29 PM

Do tell.

Is "oorah to ashes" canon?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 12, 2018, 12:37:56 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 10, 2018, 03:56:39 PM

:o You forgot AvP Requiem!
I didn't realize they made that game.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 12, 2018, 02:23:56 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 11, 2018, 07:02:29 PM

Do tell.

Is "oorah to ashes" canon?
The Marine prologue says the game takes place 10 years after 'Aliens'... in 2154 or something like that. Whoops!

Local Trouble

Surely you can make that fit.  Like LV-426 being 1200km.  ;D

How about now?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 11, 2018, 01:16:15 PM
Sounds like a good game.  They should remaster it for the current generation of consoles so I can play it like all my other games.

There is actually a mod of the game that is pretty much a remake. The guy replaced all AVPclassic creature models for AVP2010 ones, so you are pretty much playing AVP2010 with AVPclassic gameplay, the graphics on the environment were also improved. Unfortunately it's only for steam, I don't see it going to consoles unless some smart modder finds a way to do it.

Nobody in the industry seems to care at all about the old avp games, even avp2 haven't got to steam so far. So the chances of any remasters seems really hard to happen.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 12, 2018, 04:34:36 PM
I didn't realize they made that game.

That's another one that seems to have got lost in time. They could have make it available to latter consoles, as others psp games were, but again nobody seems to care about avp games. From what I have seem, the game isn't even good, but still I want to play it, the 3rd person view for predator reminds me Predator Concrete Jungle, I would probably enjoy it a little.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 13, 2018, 11:27:26 AM
Surely you can make that fit.  Like LV-426 being 1200km.  ;D

How about now?

Just like the 1200km thing, it's a typo. Problem solved! ;D

AvP2 hasn't made it to Steam because the game is roped up in a legal quagmire. Fox owns the intellectual property, but Monolith (owned by Warner Bros) owns the game engine and assets.

WB and Fox have seemed more open to collaboration in recent years, what with the Alien and Predator both being in Mortal Kombat X, so never say never...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed