Prometheus 2 as a prequel

Started by markweatherill, May 12, 2015, 11:59:10 AM

Author
Prometheus 2 as a prequel (Read 2,761 times)

markweatherill

markweatherill

What if Prometheus 2 is set 2000 years in the past and explains what happened to make the engineers decide to destroy us...?

Yes, now that Ridley Scott has got the hang of the Old Testament in the form of Exodus, he's ready to move into New Testament territory!

I'm sure we can visualise a nice scene of an angelic-looking engineer appearing to a lady, and she somehow or other becoming pregnant.
Her son, shall we call him Space Jesus, is born with inherent genetic knowledge of his mission, whatever that is. He has a pot of this miraculous black goo that he sometimes puts to a variety of uses.

Another scene, Lazarus waking up the day after being restored to life. He stretches, yawns, and..... his lower jaw pops out in an alarming way.

Ridley Scott, I'm available anytime for a brainstorming session. This could be diabolically blasphemous.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

While that could be neat Prometheus clearly stated at the end that it (Shaw) doesn't want to return home (go backwards). So I doubt anything of the like will happen. The sequel is set for her to hit up the engineers home world.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: markweatherill on May 12, 2015, 11:59:10 AM
What if Prometheus 2 is set 2000 years in the past and explains what happened to make the engineers decide to destroy us...?

Yes, now that Ridley Scott has got the hang of the Old Testament in the form of Exodus, he's ready to move into New Testament territory!

I'm sure we can visualise a nice scene of an angelic-looking engineer appearing to a lady, and she somehow or other becoming pregnant.
Her son, shall we call him Space Jesus, is born with inherent genetic knowledge of his mission, whatever that is. He has a pot of this miraculous black goo that he sometimes puts to a variety of uses.

Another scene, Lazarus waking up the day after being restored to life. He stretches, yawns, and..... his lower jaw pops out in an alarming way.

Ridley Scott, I'm available anytime for a brainstorming session. This could be diabolically blasphemous.

HA! 'The Last Temptation of Ian White'.  :D

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

That can be explained in a prologue or flashback in the sequel. Another option would be the comics, though I'm sure we both agree that it would not be the same. On the other hand, this whole thing about space jesus is a bit over the top in my opinion.

By the way, now that I think about, the fate of the Space Jockey from LV-426 can be explained through a prologue, as an event that occurred thousands of years ago. Maybe it could be related to the slaughter on LV-223.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The 'revenge for Jesus' idea never seemed like it was terribly logical to me. It's insanely illogical for them to want to destroy the entire planet's ecosystem because Jesus' life ended in the way it did.

If they felt that way, then they should have just relocated him to elsewhere or something like that.

oduodu

oduodu

Holographic replays might be nice to show what may have happened.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

The entire "why do you hate us" idea doesn't pan out either. Why would they even care. Sure they obviously came done and mingled with humans but that doesn't mean they cared. Shit and they can't all be engineers, can anyone imagine what a shitty society where everyone was an engineer would be like? The last engineer was probably thinking holy shit I better bomb those f**ks before I get fired.

Ridley has his work cut out for him because no one so far has come up with a decent idea.

windebieste

windebieste

The Engineers don't want us to supersede them and by becoming a space faring species, we can do just that.  We are are a threat to them by do so.  So they fear us.

What's the best way to deal with a threat from a potentially invasive species? 

Lay bated traps in their pathways.. 

In the case of trapping Homo Sapiens, add a 'warning' to the trap and the innate curiosity of our species will do the rest. 

Just ask Kane.

-Windebieste.

Primordial

Primordial

Quote from: oduodu on Sep 07, 2015, 08:39:24 PM
Holographic replays might be nice to show what may have happened.

A replay explaining the pile of dead engineers would be definitely nice.

If this were to happen , then the Hologram would play at their homeworld (Paradise?) since we know Shaw and David are headed overthere. It wouldn't be a surprise for such an advanced civilization to see replays of what happens in the galaxy.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 08, 2015, 08:37:37 AM
The Engineers don't want us to supersede them and by becoming a space faring species, we can do just that.  We are are a threat to them by do so.  So they fear us.

If that's the case, why did they invest so much effort in both creating and helping to evolve our capabilities, in the first place?

Also, not a foregone conclusion that we would be a threat or even a competitor.

QuoteWhat's the best way to deal with a threat from a potentially invasive species? 

Lay bated traps in their pathways.. 

In the case of trapping Homo Sapiens, add a 'warning' to the trap and the innate curiosity of our species will do the rest. 

Just ask Kane.

Ambiguous cave paintings were a piss-poor trap if they were trying to use them to destroy all humanity. :)

Scott and go just wanted an OMG moment, but didn't think through the reasoning of it.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

The Engineers simply gave humans an arbitrary expiration date and they tossed us like we toss perfectly good milk in the trash on the date marked just to be safe.

zuzuki

zuzuki

We don't know why they created us, what they wanted for us. All that we know is that they visited several times across all cultures. Maybe they were guiding our evolution, they wanted us to evolve in a particular type of society. Maybe we became too violent and agressive towards eachother and we start waging wars and start killing our fellow man, and they didn't like that. Maybe they sent and emissary as ''space Jesus'' (an evolved human that can perform ''miracles'' as seen by the people of that time), or even sent one of their own to try and correct our behavior, teach us there's another way to do things. But humanity killed their last chance so the Engineers decided we are beyond saving and we must be eradicated and start again.

Maybe we are not the only planet they seeded and there are other experiments throughout the galaxy, failures and success stories. The sequel was setup in such away to provide answers on the Engineers motivations, but i feel that they aluded just enough in the first movie to spark interest

Primordial

Primordial

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 13, 2015, 02:05:43 AM
The Engineers simply gave humans an arbitrary expiration date and they tossed us like we toss perfectly good milk in the trash on the date marked just to be safe.
Only certain ones we see on LV223.
Some of them came to Earth long time after the LV223 outbreak.

Maybe we are not the only planet they seeded and there are other experiments throughout the galaxy, failures and success stories.
This. Maybe thousands of exoplanets, even more, are seeded. So 'destroying' just one of them isn't a big deal for the Engineers of the temple, but still there must be a good reason (for them, not necessarily for us)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: zuzuki on Sep 13, 2015, 04:30:51 AM
We don't know why they created us, what they wanted for us. All that we know is that they visited several times across all cultures.

That assumes it was all one faction undertaking the visitations - or even species. If Scott really does want to explore ancient legends, it should really be many different factions and species. Some referred to giants, but others referred to a whole host of different entities, all with differing agendas.

Heck, the legend of the Tower of Babel would have actually been a better fit for the film than the one about Prometheus!

Prometheus got punished for handing us some type of technology, but Babel was meant to have been about the gods judging humanity, itself, was becoming too dangerous.

QuoteMaybe they were guiding our evolution, they wanted us to evolve in a particular type of society. Maybe we became too violent and agressive towards eachother and we start waging wars and start killing our fellow man, and they didn't like that.

Again, if these films are going to try and bring actual mythology into it, the gods actually desired our ability to fight amongst ourselves ('might is right' was actually a guiding principle in ancient Rome, because of the stories they followed about how the gods, themselves, constantly fighting one another). What they didn't want was for us to get co-ordinated and potentially overthrow them.

QuoteMaybe they sent and emissary as ''space Jesus'' (an evolved human that can perform ''miracles'' as seen by the people of that time), or even sent one of their own to try and correct our behavior, teach us there's another way to do things. But humanity killed their last chance so the Engineers decided we are beyond saving and we must be eradicated and start again.

As was observed after the film's release, that's no excuse for destroying the planet's entire ecosystem. :) Also, why didn't they have the common sense to realise he needs some kind of means to self-defence - or transport the guy out of harm's way?

The reason Jesus got into the trouble he did, was because he was rebel. He deliberately went into places like religious institutions and basically had arguments with folk. If we're saying he was a product of the Engineers, why did they 'programme' him to go around doing that if they were going to get pissed off about people in power trying to deal with him?

This whole Jesus-got-killed-so-the-whole-planet-must-pay deal just doesn't make sense. Not when it's thought through. Engineers decide every living thing needs to 'pay' for that? People living in the Americas and ancient Europe, too? Zebra? Plankton? That's insane, man!

Besides, he isn't the only historical figure who was reputed to be influenced/created by cosmic entities. Why get genocidal about him and not all the rest? Especially if the prime motivator is meant to be about teaching peace?

QuoteMaybe we are not the only planet they seeded and there are other experiments throughout the galaxy, failures and success stories. The sequel was setup in such away to provide answers on the Engineers motivations, but i feel that they aluded just enough in the first movie to spark interest

There are ways to work around it, just not by using Jesus.

Could just as easily point to two or more warring species/factions and say Earth was going to be used by the others to create/base some kind of super-weapon, which couldn't be allowed. Engineers needed to take it out and contingency plans kicked into effect at the last moment: A would-be cross-fire, rather than deliberate targeting.

Or maybe some other species had corrupted our genes with 'sleeper' DNA, which is scheduled to get activated at a future time? That could be a motivation to need to wipe us out, too.

Or maybe just faulty intelligence... Something being revealed about Earth which made them need to eradicate it, only for a last-minute revelation to stay their hand. Maybe the base we saw in the film simply never got the new data?

But going genocidal because Jesus got crucified? I don't buy it. Feels far too superficial. It needs to be something far bigger in scope than that.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

The reason they had to stay their hand was because the shit they were going to bomb us with got out and bombed them form the inside. The space Jesus idea was jettisoned by Ridley because he realized it was silly. How that is something that us humans do all the time; being stupid over the death of a single person... or a cartoon about a mystical deity or some assholes hair.

I think the engineers are meant to be in another league all together from us, even though they look like us. We are nothing, everything on the planet is nothing to them. Still I can't see what the big revelation is. They made us as a failed experiment or as hosts to bread aliens... all that is done and boring. Maybe eat us? Sure why not, the black goo was just the marinade and the engineer named Tony put too much spices in it and it boiled over.

Ha that giant head is still pissing me off... I mean what the f**k is it there for, I don't even think Ridley knows why it is there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed