Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons".

Started by Blacklabel, Nov 19, 2014, 05:07:47 AM

Author
Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons". (Read 55,168 times)

Doggo33

'Prometheus' was just that bad that he's trying to distance himself as much as possible from it, while continuing the franchise.

predxeno

Does anyone else get the feeling that Ridley Scott is saying screw you to Alien fans?  In the first film, there were only small references to Alien in a story that was wildly out of place in the Alien universe.  Now, not only is Ridley taking away the Deacon and xenomorph-like designs, but he's also taking away the Engineer, aka Space Jockey.  I am STRONGLY suspecting that the "tie-in" to Alien was nothing more than a cheap marketing scam to 2x the audience numbers.

Blacklabel

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 19, 2014, 08:12:18 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Ridley Scott is saying screw you to Alien fans?

He isnt.

He's just not pandering to them with "fan-service".

Le Celticant

Quote from: Blacklabel on Nov 19, 2014, 08:59:32 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Ridley Scott is saying screw you to Alien fans?

He isnt.

He's just not pandering to them with "fan-service".

$

T Dog

Quote from: Xenoscream on Nov 19, 2014, 07:12:38 PM
More likely it's the religious overtones he was talking about, i.e. Shaw being a faith spouting God obsessed type. At least I hope so.

I hope so too. Shaw was an awful character.

SM

SM

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 19, 2014, 03:28:58 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 19, 2014, 02:22:23 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/film/angus-sampson-to-host-australian-cinema-and-television-awards/story-e6frg8pf-1227127407562

Here's a none blocked link. The article also mentions Scott is aiming for end of 2015 to start production.

YOU'VE REACHED A SUBSCRIBER-ONLY ARTICLE.

Copy and paste the headline into Google to get around the paywall.

Quote from: Xenoscream on Nov 19, 2014, 07:12:38 PM
More likely it's the religious overtones he was talking about, i.e. Shaw being a faith spouting God obsessed type. At least I hope so.

So believing in God now means "faith spouting God obsessed type".
:laugh:

QuoteDoes anyone else get the feeling that Ridley Scott is saying screw you to Alien fans?

No, just you.  And other "fans" who werent paying attention.

Immortan Jonesy

Does anyone else get the feeling that Ridley Scott is saying screw you to Alien fans?  In the first film, there were only small references to Alien in a story that was wildly out of place in the Alien universe.  Now, not only is Ridley taking away the Deacon and xenomorph-like designs, but he's also taking away the Engineer, aka Space Jockey.  I am STRONGLY suspecting that the "tie-in" to Alien was nothing more than a cheap marketing scam to 2x the audience numbers.

He said, in another interview, that the Engineers were a good start. So no, I don't think that the Engineers are totally out of the sequel. Especially considering that Shaw and David are traveling to the home planet of these Space Jockeys. Ridley Scott is only revealing a small spoiler about one of the monsters, just that.

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Nov 19, 2014, 09:27:36 PM
QuoteDoes anyone else get the feeling that Ridley Scott is saying screw you to Alien fans?

No, just you.  And other "fans" who werent paying attention.

Oh, please educate me how I'm "[not] paying attention".

SM

The whole theme of 'We were promised an Alien film and there's no Aliens in it!!  He tricked us!!!'

We weren't promised an Alien film.  And Ridley said as much on numerous occassions in the months before hand.

Ultramorph

This is sounding like good news. As much as I love the xenomorph, and much as I want to know what was going on with the Deacon, I'm glad they're moving away from those aspects, or leaving them to be addressed in the comics. The idea that the Deacon or the xenomorphs were the Engineers' God or some such is just too limiting, and at this point, a bit unoriginal. I want to see a grander kind of space horror.

Not to mention the fact that this leaves the possibility for future proper Alien films wide open.

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Nov 19, 2014, 10:08:48 PM
The whole theme of 'We were promised an Alien film and there's no Aliens in it!!  He tricked us!!!'

We weren't promised an Alien film.  And Ridley said as much on numerous occassions in the months before hand.

Lol, is that really how you think I feel?  I couldn't care less if there were no Aliens in it; I'm talking deeper connections than the appearance of just one character, connections that you clearly don't understand.

SM

SM

:laugh:

Of course.

That's why you said "I am STRONGLY suspecting that the "tie-in" to Alien was nothing more than a cheap marketing scam to 2x the audience numbers."

It's not a "marketing scam".  If it was a marketing scam, they would've plastered PREQUEL TO ALIEN all over the marketing.  Ridley wanted to do a story about the Space Jockey so he did.  You're just still pissed that the AvP flicks got nuked by them changing Weyland.

predxeno

Whoa, slow down there, many of your presumptions about me are based on common stereotypes, you know that?  I get the feeling that whenever I explain why I don't like Prometheus, you just tune yourself out.

SM

I'm can only go by what you type.  Best way to avoid stereotyping is not to reinforce it.

predxeno

You are not posting anything based on what I have typed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed