Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 246,235 times)

Huggs

Formula's are important. They are a sure way of doing something correctly. The prequels have strayed too far from the formula. Yeah, things can get redundant, but things that work should just be left alone. This is what happens when you try to fix something that isn't broken. Now we're leaving the aliens behind, what on earth is fox thinking? I think Ridley is trying to say something significant with these films, the trouble is that he chose the wrong platform to say it on. Pete's sake, I'm actually rooting for David now. At least he's wiping out the bland and annoying casts in these prequels, and he's just a darn likeable bad guy.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 12, 2017, 01:32:51 AM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 12, 2017, 12:59:44 AM
What would the poll questions be?!

I'm glad you asked, Highland.

It would be something to the tune of:

a)  I like Aliens and don't like Alien Covenant
b)  I like Alien Covenant and don't like Aliens
c)  I like both
d)  I like neither

Of course nobody is dumb for liking Aliens, I never meant to imply that.  When I was 9 years old Aliens was one of my favourite movies.  :)

What if you liked Alien, but didn't like Covenant?

**throws curve ball

Alionic

Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 12, 2017, 04:22:27 AM
Quote from: Alionic on Dec 12, 2017, 02:28:14 AM
I, too, am surprised that millennials like the action movie with explosions more.

Ah, the generational boogeyman I see. Classic. Watch out for that darned KISS, there's something not quite right about that Gene fellow.

I see you cut yourself on my post. Apologies.

Whos_Nick

This debate is somehow reminding me of Zack Snyder fanboys who defend those dc movies to death

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 11, 2017, 11:59:26 PM
Not exactly, although you are partly right in that it is irresistible to come to that conclusion, given that many haters of the prequel films appear to be Aliens fans.
I'm not a fan of Aliens and I dislike Covenant.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 12, 2017, 06:57:17 AM
This debate is somehow reminding me of Zack Snyder fanboys who defend those dc movies to death
Alien fanboys mocking another movie universes' fanboys. That's a surefire South Park sketch if I've ever seen one.

Quote from:  Scorpio
Not exactly, although you are partly right in that it is irresistible to come to that conclusion, given that many haters of the prequel films appear to be Aliens fans.
Alien Covenant has a dedicated forum site to that movie alone, seems pretty popular also. I wonder why a forum site dedicated to Aliens 86 never launched? Even more disturbing, or a forum site dedicated to Alien 79? Maybe they do exist, I'm just not aware.

SiL

There have been a few. Generally people like talking about the franchise as a whole, though, with dedicated subsections like AvPG has.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SiL on Dec 12, 2017, 07:49:13 AM
There have been a few. Generally people like talking about the franchise as a whole, though, with dedicated subsections like AvPG has.
That makes sense. I would imagine it would never truly be dedicated anyway, eventually forum discussion would spill over to the other movies in the franchise. Though Alien-covenant.com forum seems to stay focused on Covenant for the most part with the occasional mention of other films.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 11, 2017, 10:05:59 PM
Speaking of Aliens, this thread and the Covenant board in general lately reminds me a lot of the sad Aliens:Colonial Marines Gearbox forum where some posters senslessly defended A:CM no mather what the criticism was. Some of them were obvious trolls but here i'm not sure, it's either trolling or just plain delusion.

So if you like Covenant you are either a troll or delusional? how is that any different from accusing those that don't like it as pulse rifle loving meat heads?

Both arguments are ridiculously dumb.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 12, 2017, 02:24:56 AM
Quote from: monkeylove on Dec 12, 2017, 12:31:10 AM
One can probably ask a sampling of A:C viewers worldwide (especially from Asia) and from the millennial demographic, and ask them to compare A:C with Aliens.

According to IMDB, the millennial demographic reveals the following ratings on both films....

A:C
Age bracket 18-29
48,276 Total voters
Rating 6.5

Aliens
Age bracket 18-29
127,177 Total voters
Rating 8.2

Seems Millennials have a healthy respect for a 30 year old film.  And this is not an isolated example. Millennials rate old classics like 2001 ASO, 12 Angry Men, Psycho, The Shining, The Godfather, among many other examples higher than the Boomer and older audience rated them. Which those films were targeted at those older generations.

Blows that stereotype Millennials are an audience of mindless sheep, out of the water.

Quote from: monkeylove on Dec 12, 2017, 12:31:10 AM
What are the chances that they know little or nothing about the latter?
Considering the results above, I would say the chances are quite high they are acquainted with the latter.
Interestingly, people under 18 rate both movies higher than the rest, and millenials actually rate the movie lower than (8.2) than boomers (8.5, 8.4). The difference isn't huge though. We must look for something else.

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 12, 2017, 04:47:19 AM
Formula's are important. They are a sure way of doing something correctly. The prequels have strayed too far from the formula. Yeah, things can get redundant, but things that work should just be left alone. This is what happens when you try to fix something that isn't broken. Now we're leaving the aliens behind, what on earth is fox thinking? I think Ridley is trying to say something significant with these films,
Quotethe trouble is that he chose the wrong platform to say it on
. Pete's sake, I'm actually rooting for David now. At least he's wiping out the bland and annoying casts in these prequels, and he's just a darn likeable bad guy.
I think this is where all our trouble originates: expectations and trends. If Fox hadn't marketed A:C as another alien movie with corridor chase scenes etc., would this man right here feel Ridley was choosing the wrong platform? Even without changing anything in the movie itself, just making the audience expect something else would've made a huge difference if you ask me. You have to lead your audience to see what you want them to see with the marketing, and when you don't do that correctly there's of course going to be a backlash.

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Dec 12, 2017, 09:54:11 AM
Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 11, 2017, 10:05:59 PM
Speaking of Aliens, this thread and the Covenant board in general lately reminds me a lot of the sad Aliens:Colonial Marines Gearbox forum where some posters senslessly defended A:CM no mather what the criticism was. Some of them were obvious trolls but here i'm not sure, it's either trolling or just plain delusion.

So if you like Covenant you are either a troll or delusional? how is that any different from accusing those that don't like it as pulse rifle loving meat heads?

Both arguments are ridiculously dumb.
Reecebomb is a troll. Everything he says is designed to piss you off. Don't respond to him.

whiterabbit

Well, I for one love Covenant and you know what. I'm alright with that. Well in truth I like all of the Alien movies and eagerly await the next alien foray into the abyss.

SM

Whether you like Covenant or not (and Prometheus), in an age of endless Star Wars and super hero flicks, there's really nothing like Prometheus and Covenant.  They're doing things that no one expects.  Of course they're also doing things that some don't want.

But at least they're not rehashing the same story.

skhellter

Give me one last crazy Riddlez prequel.

Transform David into a giant pulsating vagina that shits out alien eggs.
Just do it.
:laugh:

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2017, 11:25:33 AM
Whether you like Covenant or not (and Prometheus), in an age of endless Star Wars and super hero flicks, there's really nothing like Prometheus and Covenant.  They're doing things that no one expects.  Of course they're also doing things that some don't want.

But at least they're not rehashing the same story.

This is so true.

Highland

Television is definitely getting the up on movies for me these days. The production budgets, directors and actors have all went up dramatically in the last 5-10 years. I'd much rather watch Stranger Things, West World, True Detective, GOT these days than sit down to another Tony Stark fest. Hearing good things about the new Star Wars , but then the last one got good reviews as well.

Another thing I've found myself doing is going back to the 80s and 90s and getting old sci-fi movies and watching those instead.

Not saying they are not making good movies these days, maybe I'm just gettin old or something!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed