Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 84,161 times)

Fugitive Predator

Quote from: ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR on Sep 17, 2018, 05:51:57 AM
I think a great new Avp film would put the franchises back on track. Both series have not been doing good individualy. I don't think anyone wants a sequel to The Predator.

I think Avp 2004 is underrated.

i think you are right, but at the same time we haven't even had a great avp movie yet
so i think it would just be more of the same.

The Old One

The Old One

When you've created a tonal and aesthetic bridge between the two series, then you can create AVP.

Corporal Hicks

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4438&p=.htm

Some specific wording on this one -

Quote20th Century Fox's release of The Predator may have topped the weekend box office, but whether it was the controversy swirling around the film, dwindling franchise interest or a combination of both, the film delivered the lowest opening weekend gross for a live-action film debuting in over 4,000 theaters.

It pains me but I don't expect to see this remain in cinemas for long.

Russ840

Yeah. This is sucky. I honestly don't think the film deserves such negativity.

Yautja_Warrior

Quote from: Nathsp on Sep 17, 2018, 07:36:33 AM
Colonial marines, predators and aliens... Win!

Yeah I'm still baffled they didn't just go this direction from the start. Aliens and the original Predator are very similar in design (wise cracking soldiers / marines vs an unknown alien force) and it just works. The AvP comics followed the formula successfully and the AvP games also followed that formula successfully, so making a good AvP movie shouldn't have been been all that difficult (same goes for the other Alien and Predator sequels)

If it ain't broke don't fix it but Hollywood always likes to think it knows better, plus writing forgettable characters with zero personality didn't help either and ....... well we all know what happened.....twice !

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 17, 2018, 08:57:22 AM
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4438&p=.htm

Some specific wording on this one -

Quote20th Century Fox's release of The Predator may have topped the weekend box office, but whether it was the controversy swirling around the film, dwindling franchise interest or a combination of both, the film delivered the lowest opening weekend gross for a live-action film debuting in over 4,000 theaters.

It pains me but I don't expect to see this remain in cinemas for long.
My question is how can they send out weekend totals when Sunday was far from over? Do they not include Sunday in the opening weekend totals?

Box office

Box office

It's done all the time. They can estimate Sunday pretty reliably. If there is a large shift, they will adjust on Monday.
Movie may stay in theaters fir a bit because there is little coming out, but the movie is a bomb.

goose_3387

Compared to 2010 with Predators I feel the marketing has been better for The Predator.

I guess the trailer was late etc.

I'm not sure why people aren't seeing it.

Biomechanoid

I won't even pretend to know what goes on behind closed doors of studio executives trying to predict a net profit for a given film project, but disc sales, cable release, streaming services must surely play a part in their equation.

Are film projects greenlit when they project it will only break even at the box office, but they hang their profit hopes on home sales? I doubt they care whether their revenue comes from a box office or over a video store counter. Seems plausible to me. Fox may have viewed The Predator project in the scenario above....but I'm only speculating, I have no source to suggest that's the case.

ELDERCLANLEADER

I expected The Predator to at least do as well as covenant, but i think i always knew this movie would flop hard.

To be fair all the signs were already there that this movie , was in big trouble. yano the script leak didn't help, the screenings didn't help, the troubled production and re shoots didn't inspire confidence and the half baked trailers were just the cherry on the top.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: goose_3387 on Sep 17, 2018, 02:18:38 PM
Compared to 2010 with Predators I feel the marketing has been better for The Predator.

I guess the trailer was late etc.

I'm not sure why people aren't seeing it.

I don't quite understand why casual movie goers aren't seeing it either - people who don't have anything invested in the franchise.  As a fan, I thought a lot of film was damaging.  But from a detached perspective (as if I were speaking as a non-fan), it was a fun way to pass the time.  Remove the Predator from the scenery, and I didn't think it was that bad of a film. 

Quote from: Yautja_Warrior on Sep 17, 2018, 11:40:18 AM
Quote from: Nathsp on Sep 17, 2018, 07:36:33 AM
Colonial marines, predators and aliens... Win!

Yeah I'm still baffled they didn't just go this direction from the start. Aliens and the original Predator are very similar in design (wise cracking soldiers / marines vs an unknown alien force) and it just works. The AvP comics followed the formula successfully and the AvP games also followed that formula successfully, so making a good AvP movie shouldn't have been been all that difficult (same goes for the other Alien and Predator sequels)

If it ain't broke don't fix it but Hollywood always likes to think it knows better, plus writing forgettable characters with zero personality didn't help either and ....... well we all know what happened.....twice !

This might not be the case, but what it feels like is that writers/directors have a sort of hyper self-importance where they believe everything they come up with will top what their predecessors did.  "Concrete Jungle?  Oh, I can do better than that."  "Predators?  Oh, I can do better than that."  Sure, they might be able to do better - but their predecessors may have more to offer than they think. 

tukoc

tukoc

People aren't seeing it, not because of marketing or sexual predator scandal. But because it was released in the middle of the month...
ITS TOO FAR AWAY FROM PAYDAY!
Only those with the mythical '"Disposable Income" can hope to see this so soon.
I had to for go the large coke for a smuggled in Aldi lemonade...ITS 17p FOR TWO LITRES FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!
;D

Wysps

Wysps

That is a whole other level of frugal right there  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: tukoc on Sep 17, 2018, 06:18:08 PM
People aren't seeing it, not because of marketing or sexual predator scandal. But because it was released in the middle of the month...
ITS TOO FAR AWAY FROM PAYDAY!
Only those with the mythical '"Disposable Income" can hope to see this so soon.
I had to for go the large coke for a smuggled in Aldi lemonade...ITS 17p FOR TWO LITRES FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!
;D

You know I've still yet to see a cinema that actually doesn't allow you to take your own food/drink in. I used to work at an Odeon and it was fine. Only hot food like Maccies or KFC wasn't allowed in.

goose_3387

Need a mortgage for Vue and Odeon food and drink prices.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed