Started by Ballzanya, Nov 02, 2007, 08:43:32 AM

Which design is better?

Aliens of course
56 (73.7%)
AVP-R has a better alien design.
20 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author
"AVP-R" alien design vs. "Aliens" alien design (Read 4,824 times)

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Just thought I'd make a poll to see what people think of the Alien design for avp-r, and if it really holds up to the design they're supposedly trying to emulate.

First here are some pics of the aliens from "Aliens" .

vs. some pics of the ones from Avp-r:

SiL

Wow. No contest.

Master

I can see no sense in creating such a subject.

Ballzanya

Quote from: SiL on Nov 02, 2007, 09:03:17 AM
Wow. No contest.

I didn't think there would be, however the directors probably disagree. lol.
Its not even close, in fact. After looking at the alien pics from Aliens again having those images fresh in my mind, and then looking at the ones from avp-r, makes me cringe.
Damn, the creature effects are worse now in 2007 than they were in 1986, how the f**k is that possible?

(not trying to influence voters, if someone really thinks the avp-r designs are better, go ahead and vote your balls off)

Huol

3 other people do however.

I'd be fine with the AVP-R design if they actually gave it a real mouth.

Ballzanya

Quote from: Master on Nov 02, 2007, 09:05:50 AM
I can see no sense in creating such a subject.

First of all, Its a place to put up some screencaps from Aliens and secondly it serves to show that No one can really expect another alien or Aliens. The designs were supposedly modelled after the ones from Aliens, yet they are not that close, which is another reason to have this thread to demonstrate.

Master

Ok. good argument. Still I like "Alien" alien the most. Other designs are hardly comperable.

Huol

As do i.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Master on Nov 02, 2007, 09:16:14 AM
Ok. good argument. Still I like "Alien" alien the most. Other designs are hardly comperable.

I would have made a comparison of the aliens from every film they've been in, but that would be way too many pics. Besides the avp-r aliens are supposedly an attempt by ADI, colin and greg to emulate the Aliens design. Safe to say they failed miserably, and its a shame really.
I almost don't want to see any future alien films if this is what we'll get.
Ever since Alien resurrection, the aliens haven't quite looked right, and alien 3 being a rod-puppet in many instances was not perfect by any stretch, it was an intentional deviation from the original design as well due to it being born from a dog.

What's even worse is that the mouth on the aiiens from the first avp are better than the ones in avp-r, although i do like the ridged heads. Its just too bad we ended up with a mess of alien:resurrection/avp/aliens all thrown together at random it seems to create the design for them in avp-r.

I also almost regret posting this abomination:

Damn I hope there's no avp 3, I can't deal with disapointments like this anymore.^
Why is the shape of the mouth like that? Its f**king lame as hell. The funny thing is that I didn't notice anything this bad in the red band trailer. The only time it comes close is the two aliens in the sewer but for some reason they don't look as bad as many of the screen caps from the store showdown clip.
I wonder if its the fact that taking a still of them and dissecting them so to speak, lets you see how bad they are and how the lower budget really affects things. >:(

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

(sigh)

This pic is not a good example, since the Alien head/neck look almost seperated...

Anyway, yes, Winston's "Aliens" are better designed (everyone knows this).

But you should give ADI credit in that this is THEIR best Alien desgin in a long time (especially, more so than AVP and Alien Resurrection).

I don't think the goal of the Alien design in AVP-R is not to be exactly the same or be better than Winston's design, but come close.

Also, to be fair here, there are better pics of the Aliens in AVP-R from the trailers/IGN clip, than most of the pics you chose.

Yes, we can see the "fleshiness" in the shoulders of ADI's Aliens and there are not as many tendons holding the jaws, but it still looks like an Alien and that's what's most important is that it's recognizable. It's not as biomechanical as the ALIEN and ALIENS designs. We know that. At least ADI/Strauses tried to make their Aliens look, somewhat different, than what ADI has done before.

Also, remember that the budget of this movie was low and they had to re-use some of the old suits (which I guess they also did for the Aliens of AVP and Alien Resurrection ) to keep costs down.

Anyway, I still think the Aliens in AVP-R are going to look good, from what I have seen so far in the trailers and that clip. With Pearl's cinematography and the Strauses picking the right angles, the Aliens will look fine.

BTW, this is my favorite Alien shot from the IGN clip:

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Nov 02, 2007, 09:30:58 AM
(sigh)

This pic is not a good example, since the Alien head/neck look almost seperated...

Yeah i noticed that. but oh well, must be one of those things they never intended the audience to see. (i have a thread on that in the alien films board)

Stalker

Stan Winston's warriors are still superior after all these years, although I must say that ADI's newer versions do look fantastic, far better than most of their previous efforts. At least the creatures are more alien-like than they have been in the last couple of films.

I have no idea why there are so many complaints on the mouth, I see no problems there. Admittedly the teeth do seem to stick out a little too much at times, but overall I think it looks quite good.

CSRMILLER

Have people been following this movie? The budget for this film was tight and everybody would agree the Predator needed to be redesign more than the Aliens. They did have some money left over for the aliens but only enough for the heads. If you look at the alien bodies, they are the same design from Alien Resurrection, the same film a stupid director turned this promising series into now low budget flicks.

The directors for AVP-R are trying to get the series back too where it once was. Their job is very tough but they are doing it for us. Not once these critics thought about this and said thank you to them.

The people you should have a go at is Fox

vortep

For me the difference is not so big so i vote in just respect for AVPR

Ballzanya

Quote from: Stalker on Nov 02, 2007, 09:40:21 AM
Stan Winston's warriors are still superior after all these years, although I must say that ADI's newer versions do look fantastic, far better than most of their previous efforts. At least the creatures are more alien-like than they have been in the last couple of films.

I have no idea why there are so many complaints on the mouth, I see no problems there. Admittedly the teeth do seem to stick out a little too much at times, but overall I think it looks quite good.

You don't see that the avp-r mouths are inferior? maybe this will help:

vs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed