Exclusive: New Prometheus Trailer Footage

Started by ikarop, Nov 26, 2011, 08:39:19 PM

Author
Exclusive: New Prometheus Trailer Footage (Read 159,846 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: Alienseseses on Dec 01, 2011, 03:12:23 PM
And both of those movies had poor word of mouth.

What happen the same happens with Prometheus? The movie would have more trouble making back it's budget due to it's huge budget and plus the extra money used on the marketing.

Ruzena

Ruzena

Guys, I am going over it over and over again, in the trailers, both of them, the person that picks up something from the ground and stands facing the wall of smoke.

First I thought its space suit with helmet, but the person wears no shoes, I just think its not human and its naked. Look at it ;]

I think it might actually be SJ carrying egg. Just please try to look at it and dont tell me I'm idiot ;D

Been watching that scene over and over and it has not human anatomy ;] Look at the legs Also the color in the latest trailler its whole skin white color.

Opinions suggestions welcome

The Xenoborg

I'm sure we'll have a clearer trailer soon, be it a Space Jockey, or a human or an Alien or a Predator or Zurg, I am sure we'll be able to identify things much better in the official trailer.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 01, 2011, 12:23:55 PM
There was some stop-motion in there.
What parts? I've never been able to spot any.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2011, 07:52:39 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 01, 2011, 12:23:55 PM
There was some stop-motion in there.
What parts? I've never been able to spot any.

To my understanding, there was no stop-motion used in the final film.  However, during production Phil Tippett was hired to produce stop-motion effects.  The decision was then made to switch to CGI but Phil's test footage was still used by the CGI animators as a reference point.

As per Wikipedia...

Quote from: WikipediaSpielberg hired Stan Winston to create the animatronic dinosaurs, Phil Tippett to create go motion dinosaurs for long shots, Michael Lantieri to supervise the on-set effects, and Dennis Muren to do the digital compositing... Tippett created stop-motion animatics of major scenes, but, despite go motion's attempts at motion blurs, Spielberg still found the end results unsatisfactory in terms of working in a live-action feature film.

Animators Mark Dippe and Steve Williams went ahead in creating a computer-generated walk cycle for the T. Rex skeleton and were approved to do more.  When Spielberg and Tippett saw an animatic of the T. Rex chasing a herd of Gallimimus, Spielberg said, "You're out of a job," to which Tippett replied, "Don't you mean extinct?"  Spielberg later wrote the dialogue between him and Tippett into the script, as a conversation between Malcolm and Grant.

Although no go motion was used, Tippett and his animators were still used by the production for knowing how the dinosaurs should move correctly. Tippett acted as a consultant regarding dinosaur anatomy, and his stop motion animators were re-trained as computer animators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skSXW8D9ib8#
This is a clip of the stop-motion footage that was produced prior to the CGI switch over.

The Xenoborg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dGpd69_x5M#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hox0UfY0YQ#

These are officially from the movie when they were working with Stop Motion. :)

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Whilst the CGI in the final film obviously looks far superior, I must say that I really like the charm of the stop-motion dinos.  Classic filmmaking effects... they don't make 'em like that anymore. :'(

Stop-motion Space Jockeys in Prometheus for the win. ;D

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 02, 2011, 08:22:27 AM
Whilst the CGI in the final film obviously looks far superior, I must say that I really like the charm of the stop-motion dinos.  Classic filmmaking effects... they don't make 'em like that anymore. :'(

Stop-motion Space Jockeys in Prometheus for the win. ;D

I love old stop motion, but it always looks too funny and unbeliable. Its great for Army Of Darkness, old movies that had no other way of doing it etc. but it can ruin a dark horror or  deep sci fi movie.

for example, when the queen alien is trowed up to space in ALIENS, the movement is stop motion and its the worst moment of the whole movie....

SiL

SiL

That was a tiny rod puppet.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2011, 08:43:07 AM
That was a tiny rod puppet.

Im pretty sure that on the Making off they say they used Stop motion for this.

But maybe im wrong. It looked like shit anyway.

The Xenoborg

Quotefor example, when the queen alien is trowed up to space in ALIENS, the movement is stop motion and its the worst moment of the whole movie....
I rewatched it and it's not bad at all, in fact it looks very realistic to me, because of the way the Sulaco is shown in the background and the camera-work.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: The Xenoborg on Dec 02, 2011, 08:52:52 AM
Quotefor example, when the queen alien is trowed up to space in ALIENS, the movement is stop motion and its the worst moment of the whole movie....
I rewatched it and it's not bad at all, in fact it looks very realistic to me, because of the way the Sulaco is shown in the background and the camera-work.

I never liked how the queen spins and moves her hands like she is afraid of rats on the floor or something....

The rest is great.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Dec 02, 2011, 08:39:10 AM
... when the queen alien is trowed up to space in ALIENS, the movement is stop motion and its the worst moment of the whole movie....

As has been previously pointed out; I'm pretty sure that's a rod puppet.  You can tell from the movements.  Either way, personally it's never bothered me in the least.

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Dec 02, 2011, 09:06:11 AM
I never liked how the queen spins and moves her hands like she is afraid of rats on the floor or something....

I've always liked the frantic movement the queen makes during that shot.  To me, it communicates her absolute anger and frustration at her defeat and hopeless predicament.  Her flailing reminds me of Daryl Hannah's character, Elle in Kill Bill: Volume 2; when Beatrix rips her eye out.  Elle goes nuts and bounces around the room with hatred and a need for vengeance but at the same time, she is totally helpless.

Also, much like Elle; I can't help but feel a little sorry for the queen at that particular moment. :'(

I love old stop motion, but it always looks too funny and unbeliable. Its great for Army Of Darkness, old movies that had no other way of doing it etc. but it can ruin a dark horror or  deep sci fi movie.

Oddly enough, I've often felt that stop-motion can enhance the creepyness of a horror.  For example, the twin in Basket Case or the rat-monkey in Braindead.  The jerky motion somehow adds to the nightmarish quality.  It's hard to explain but stop-motion certainly hasn't harmed any horror films for me, quite the opposite in fact.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 02, 2011, 09:26:10 AM
... when the queen alien is trowed up to space in ALIENS, the movement is stop motion and its the worst moment of the whole movie....

As has been previously pointed out; I'm pretty sure that's a rod puppet.  You can tell from the movements.  Either way, personally it's never bothered me in the least.

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Dec 02, 2011, 09:06:11 AM

I've always liked the frantic movement the queen makes during that shot.  To me, it communicates her absolute anger and frustration at her defeat and hopeless predicament.  Her flailing reminds me of Daryl Hannah's character, Elle in Kill Bill: Volume 2; when Beatrix rips her eye out.  Elle goes nuts and bounces around the room with hatred and a need for vengeance but at the same time, she is totally helpless.

Also, much like Elle; I can't help but feel a little sorry for the queen at that particular moment. :'(

Oddly enough, I've often felt that stop-motion can enhance the creepyness of a horror.  For example, the twin in Basket Case or the rat-monkey in Braindead.  The jerky motion somehow adds to the nightmarish quality.  It's hard to explain but stop-motion certainly hasn't harmed any horror films for me, quite the opposite in fact.

Tha movement of the queen at the end never ruined the movie for me of course, but let´s say you watch this movie with a kid that is used to CGI and shit and dont know nothing about Stop motion etc. he will be fliped about the whole movie, he wont believe that the queen is not done by CGI almost, and he would be amazed about all the FX, but this scene in particular, the kid will explode in laughs. I know, i seen this reaction many times watching this movie with frinds, girlfriends, my dog etc...

StopMotion never ruined any movie for me either! dont misunderstand me. but imagine the queen in stop motion the whole movie...wont be the same at all....Dont know what they used in Alien 3 for the alien, but it was wrong and it really helped a lot for making it a much worse film that it shoul´ve been.

Regardign if its Rod Puppet or Stop Motion, I think they used rod puppets when the queen walks around the complex (toguwther with a big anumatronic costume with two guys inside and puppeters for the legs etc) and also in some scenes of the fight with rippley.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Dec 02, 2011, 09:42:55 AM
Tha movement of the queen at the end never ruined the movie for me of course, but let´s say you watch this movie with a kid that is used to CGI and shit and dont know nothing about Stop motion etc. he will be fliped about the whole movie, he wont believe that the queen is not done by CGI almost, and he would be amazed about all the FX, but this scene in particular, the kid will explode in laughs. I know, i seen this reaction many times watching this movie with frinds, girlfriends, my dog etc...

The thing is, the very kids who laugh at such effects will one day sit down as adults and watch their favourite films with their own kids.  Those kids will then laugh at the out of date and cartoony CGI effects of the films of today.  The cycle continues...

Ultimately, I couldn't care less if somebody finds the effects in a film I love laughable, simply because those effects have dated or aren't entirely convincing.  It's mostly mirth born from ignorance.  It's never going to stop me from enjoying an old favourite and as such their opinion is largely irrelevant to me.

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Dec 02, 2011, 09:42:55 AMDont know what they used in Alien 3 for the alien, but it was wrong and it really helped a lot for making it a much worse film that it shoul´ve been.

A rod puppet.  Which was superbly executed.  Unfortunately the compositing was very poorly done, which ruined the shots.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed