Predator sequel in medieval times?

Started by sting3r, Jan 23, 2014, 08:42:18 PM

Author
Predator sequel in medieval times? (Read 7,406 times)

blood.

blood.

Hercules vs Predator.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 24, 2014, 09:13:14 AM
I think a Predator in Anglo-Saxon times ala Beowulf would be interesting, with the Predator substituting for Grendel. There hasn't been a great Beowulf film either, and the period seems pretty apt for the Predator. I'd see it (and chastise any inaccuracies!)

f**kin' a.

That's a great idea.

Valaquen

Quote from: Russ on Feb 24, 2014, 12:58:26 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 24, 2014, 09:13:14 AM
I think a Predator in Anglo-Saxon times ala Beowulf would be interesting, with the Predator substituting for Grendel. There hasn't been a great Beowulf film either, and the period seems pretty apt for the Predator. I'd see it (and chastise any inaccuracies!)

f**kin' a.

That's a great idea.
Somebody write it!

(I'll correct myself - Beowulf wasn't 'Anglo-Saxon' times. It was a story of Danes and Geats, later written by an alleged Anglo-Saxon; my bad but it was early!)

Russ

Russ

It just all fits so well - like the falconer's flying things could be "dragons" and all that. Mental.

Topazora

Topazora

you would have to pit the predator against a mythical character, otherwise, its just the same old story of evil space monster vs puny human, human wins.  Same story, different setting.  You might gain some leverage using Beowolf or Hercules, but unless the writer can produce something creative and new, the audience isn't really going to care.  At least with Predators, it was set on a different planet and had different types of predators, but it was still a rehash of the first movie.
I personally can see a story like this as a comic book, but I can't see the studio willing to put money into another predator movie unless the script is new and fresh.  I fail to see where setting the predators into the medieval times would add anything to the franchise.

Valaquen

Quote from: Topazora on Mar 01, 2014, 06:31:00 PM
I fail to see where setting the predators into the medieval times would add anything to the franchise.
I generally fail to see what a new movie of any sort would add to the series. Of course, it would have to be intrinsically innovative.

Gate

Gate

Why not show us a Predator in the carboniferous period. I wanna see a bus-sized centipede fight a Predator.

Vepariga

Maybe there can be a cult in medieval times that brings tributes to the Predator and when some holy avengers come to destroy the cult the predator still wants his tribute and slaughters all  :P

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

No I want to see Black Hawk Down with a Predator in it.

Predator 3 essentially.

Arterial Spray

I vote that hence fourth all action movies, regardless of period and setting, should at some point include a predator shimmer in the background and a familiar three dot lasersight....

More on topic: It could work but historical scifi often goes down poorly with a general audience. Look at Outlander (A starcraft terran marine and a vicious glow in the dark alien monster crash in darkage scandinavia. The rest of the plot is more or less Beowulf with knobs on.) It was a fun little fiilm but it got slated.
As I understand it several of the period crossing A/v/P comics receaved similar reactions (such as Aliens:Stalker).

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

To be truthful I think the Predator has benefitted more from the AvP crossovers than the Aliens have.  Despite the Aliens being non characters and just obstacles in the human characters way the Alien universe has always been more interesting. 

I think you'd have to delve into the predators brains to make them interesting (and indeed Steve and Stephani Perry's take on the Pred remains popular years after their take on Stradleys work was released) or your going to have to take the Predator out of his macho universe and put him in a more Alien style universe where the human characters carry the story. 

Predator is one of the best all time action movies but imo didn't really leave much for a sequel.  Unless the formula changes the Pred will always be a technologically advanced Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers.  You have to put him in new situations, not the same situation over and over again.  Predator 2 was just a beefed up version of the first movie.  Predators tried to slant their movie as being different with EVERY character being their "fields" respective badass but it still played out the same.

Liberator

Quote from: sting3r on Jan 23, 2014, 08:42:18 PM
The cool thing about Predator is that he could be adapte to fit any point in human history. So how about a medieval era predator? I think the contrast would be fantastic - A Predator in a world of kings, castles, knights, barbarians, horseback warriors, chain mail armor etc. The ''invisible demon'' does his thing in a medieval ages conflict. What do you think?

I think Dutch was the first human to kill a predator, so no, I don't think it would work because the predators would always win.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 19, 2014, 11:09:05 AM
To be truthful I think the Predator has benefitted more from the AvP crossovers than the Aliens have.  Despite the Aliens being non characters and just obstacles in the human characters way the Alien universe has always been more interesting.

Agreed.. Though it can be argued that the Predator franchise has been piggy backing on the Alien franchise for far too long. Some fans even want to see the two franchises separated.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 19, 2014, 11:09:05 AM
I think you'd have to delve into the predators brains to make them interesting (and indeed Steve and Stephani Perry's take on the Pred remains popular years after their take on Stradleys work was released) or your going to have to take the Predator out of his macho universe and put him in a more Alien style universe where the human characters carry the story. 

Agreed, most especially Steve and Stephani Perry's creation on the Yautja mythos. While that is a generally accepted concept for many fans, some fans simply do not like the idea of the Predator being depicted as an honorable warrior. Instead they want something else, which is completely alien-- cold and calculating which may eschew the idea of the honor concept.

But of course, the Yautja mythos isn't the only idea out there which fans accepted. Some fans even accept the Hish mythos which.. didn't go over as well with fans who bought the Yautja concept. And then there are the ones who don't want either Yautja or Hish mythos.

Master

Master

Quote from: Liberator on Mar 26, 2014, 04:31:36 AM
Quote from: sting3r on Jan 23, 2014, 08:42:18 PM
The cool thing about Predator is that he could be adapte to fit any point in human history. So how about a medieval era predator? I think the contrast would be fantastic - A Predator in a world of kings, castles, knights, barbarians, horseback warriors, chain mail armor etc. The ''invisible demon'' does his thing in a medieval ages conflict. What do you think?

I think Dutch was the first human to kill a predator, so no, I don't think it would work because the predators would always win.

No proof to that theory

happypred

There's a Viking-era Predator comic on DeviantArt (not really Medieval, more like Dark Ages, but close enough). The Vikings think of the Predator as a "troll"

I think a stranded Predator would make a pretty good Grendel. I have no idea what would be Grendel's mother though...a female predator? 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed