ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 396,115 times)

Elmazalman

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 11, 2015, 01:50:09 PM
I'll be honest, part of me still suspects we will get a cheaper edition. I get the feeling they've put this price tag on it and are worried they won't sell any if people know a cheaper version is coming, so they're claiming this is it to try and push a few more into buying.

Could well be wrong, but that's what I suspect.
Yes i agree,a low act if true.I'll just wait for a public Library to secure a copy of the standard edition-when it's available.

SM

Some perspective, if I may.  Go and have a look at what other Alien related merchandise Sideshow sells.  Things that cost hundreds of dollars to sit your shelf and look cool.  The WYR also costs hundreds of dollars and sits on you shelf and looks cool.  The added bonus being a 160 book to read.  And of all the sculpted Alien works sold by Sideshow - this is the cheapest.

Yes, it's out of the price range of a lot of fans.  But so are the aforementioned sculptures and there doesn't seem to be any negativity aimed at them.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

The difference here is that a majority of fans are wanting to buy this literally just for the book and the information it contains. Many have no interest in the fancy sculpted cover that will 'sit on the shelf and look cool'. It's just the book we want, hence why the price tag is just not viable.

Personally I think the cover is horrendous.

drsmuts

Yep, no interest in the cover as on a shelf it just sits hidden surely?

It's the contents that people are interested in and at 160 pages it's not exactly huge in page count.

I paid £100 for the James Bond archives book by Taschen (which was very costly and to be honest, I regret buying it now) but it's got over 600 pages in it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SM on Jul 11, 2015, 11:40:26 PM
Some perspective, if I may.  Go and have a look at what other Alien related merchandise Sideshow sells.  Things that cost hundreds of dollars to sit your shelf and look cool.  The WYR also costs hundreds of dollars and sits on you shelf and looks cool.  The added bonus being a 160 book to read.  And of all the sculpted Alien works sold by Sideshow - this is the cheapest.

Yes, it's out of the price range of a lot of fans.  But so are the aforementioned sculptures and there doesn't seem to be any negativity aimed at them.

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jul 11, 2015, 11:40:26 PMSome perspective, if I may.  Go and have a look at what other Alien related merchandise Sideshow sells.  Things that cost hundreds of dollars to sit your shelf and look cool.  The WYR also costs hundreds of dollars and sits on you shelf and looks cool.  The added bonus being a 160 book to read.  And of all the sculpted Alien works sold by Sideshow - this is the cheapest.

But you're forgetting that other countries have got stripped-down, bare-bones editions. That's where the gripe comes from. We have to shell out for this when other people can buy the meat and potatoes of it for much less.

Elmazalman

This book could have been a popular choice amongst fans if published as a standard edition-at a reasonable and more sensible price.As others have said,it's the contents that are of interest to us-not the fancy bells and whistles which add nothing to the reading enjoyment of the book itself.At $325 the few who do purchase this book would be loath to use it for reference ( which is it's purpose ) lest they damage it from constant manhandling.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Curious. Does ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report borrow some or a lot from the CM: Technical Manual?

SM

Very little.

Things like the model numbers of USCM equipment were sourced from the CMTM, but not much else.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SM on Jul 16, 2015, 12:45:41 AM
Very little.

Things like the model numbers of USCM equipment were sourced from the CMTM, but not much else.

Interesting.

The weapons and gear, for example - how is it presented? Are the explanations, statistics and mechanisms more futuristic and advanced than then somewhat semi-"contemporary" stuff we got in CMTM or about the same?

SM

Presentation is shown at 1:00 onwards.

HuDaFuK

Off topic for a sec, but good to see you back SM!

MrSpaceJockey

Oh my god I forgot this was an anomaly.

I've missed you.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SM on Jul 16, 2015, 10:19:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wfq3BYAbFY
Presentation is shown at 1:00 onwards.

Cool.

Looks really flashy and almost a little bit over the top, at least compared to the CMTM. Curious though to flip through that thing.

predxeno

Is there any chance the regular edition of the book was cancelled because producers are concerned it will conflict with Alien 5?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed