Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 322,105 times)

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

A lot of people seem to somehow miss blatant woke themes in old movies

Alien criticizes corporations. (and that's also ignoring all the SA allegories)
 Predator criticizes the government.
 Jurassic Park criticizes a lot of things and has feminism in it.
 Aliens criticizes the Vietnam war.

Man I could keep going about stuff like this, how did so many people miss those? They weren't really subtle.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Did we ask ourselves if Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Beatrix Kiddo or Furiosa were protagonists of woke movies ? No we didn't. We didn't need to. Those were great characters in amazing movies.

I wish the best for Prey, without asking myself all that, as always. Just give me cool characters and a great movie please.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 04:28:57 PMThis is again simple thinking.
They said this is the first coming, so this Predator in 18th century doesn't have human DNA, and stone age woman cannot lucky guess Predator's biology weakness.

Who is to say that human DNA had influence on that? What if they were just vulnerable to such things already? Its too easy to flip the script on that too. You said the magic word right there "maybe", so it can easily be just that they are affected by such things anyway without the human DNA. Again, as I stated before:
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jun 22, 2022, 03:30:22 PMSecond, it's writing. The writers can take it into any turn if they please. Many films like War of the Worlds addresses how our microbes killed off the invading force in the end due to the fact their bodies couldn't handle our planet's conditions. Others films shrug this detail off cuz writing demands conflict, otherwise no film is done. They can easily say Predators can adapt to Earth's atmosphere for a limited time without their bio-mask but are weak to our poisons/venoms. Every film has done aliens differently so this isn't cut and dry as you think it is.

It's not hard to go through you're arsenal and try out what works. If stone tipped arrows don't work, use some steel from the French trappers, if no steel available, hey we got some poison/venom lying around that we use for hunting, lets give that a shot. The logic of reduction is not lost on a tribe from the 18th century, its an ability that all humans have, I feel like you are trying too hard to deny her ability to do this. 

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 12:23:19 PM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jun 21, 2022, 03:57:00 PMSecond of all, maybe poison or venom can be involved? Various native tribes use them for hunts so who's to say that she wouldn't use them either? Poison from plants or venom from snakes, perhaps a deadly combo of both on her spears and arrows?

I don't have time to reply to everyone who responded nor everything you wrote. I don't agree with most of what was written but all of you have right to your own opinion.

Regarding poison or venom, I believe this is very, but really very bad idea. Why ? Because we don't know how alien biology works, what poison or venom is dangerous to Predator. His blood is completely different than ours, and poisons/venoms which evolved on earth aren't evolved to harm his biology.

All animals on Earth evolved on the same planet, they even have same ancestor at some point in time, and for example rabies is 100% deadly to all mammals, but cannot do anything to birds, reptiles, fishes, etc.

So how should our girly teen hero figure out what Predator's body cannot tolerate ?

You're trying really hard to find ways to not let this work. What if she tries and it doesn't work because of exactly what you said? And that causes more tension in the plot because she has to try another method. There's ways to do things like this with story telling, hel, Dutch and his team tried a lot of methods before they failed. Maybe her trying poison is one of them.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 22, 2022, 05:24:28 PMDid we ask ourselves if Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Beatrix Kiddo or Furiosa were protagonists of woke movies ? No we didn't. We didn't need to. Those were great characters in amazing movies.
People 100% complained about Furiosa. The kind of people crying woke today would absolutely roll their eyes at Ripley and Sarah Connor if those movies were made today.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Let's not forget that the Predator is hunting on Naru's turf . Unlike Dutch, Harrigan, and royce, who had to fight their final battles on unfamiliar grounds: Naru has the home field advantage, she knows the lay of the land better than the Predator. Imagine the Predator chasing her and she makes a sharp left and dives into a small cave network that he can't fit through and roars in frustration. She pulls a John Rambo on him, with well placed traps and arrows. It'll be like Last Blood, only the story won't suck this time.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SiL on Jun 22, 2022, 07:37:13 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 22, 2022, 05:24:28 PMDid we ask ourselves if Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Beatrix Kiddo or Furiosa were protagonists of woke movies ? No we didn't. We didn't need to. Those were great characters in amazing movies.
People 100% complained about Furiosa. The kind of people crying woke today would absolutely roll their eyes at Ripley and Sarah Connor if those movies were made today.

Then it's a shame. I think anyone can relate to those characters regardless of their gender, people like that are missing out, but eh.

hoffmanstokes

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jun 22, 2022, 07:54:23 PMLet's not forget that the Predator is hunting on Naru's turf . Unlike Dutch, Harrigan, and royce, who had to fight their final battles on unfamiliar grounds: Naru has the home field advantage, she knows the lay of the land better than the Predator. Imagine the Predator chasing her and she makes a sharp left and dives into a small cave network that he can't fit through and roars in frustration. She pulls a John Rambo on him, with well placed traps and arrows. It'll be like Last Blood, only the story won't suck this time.

this.

as i said before. she's comanche. she "knows how to survive" these are her woods and comanche are badasses. look at her throwing that axe in the opening trailer scene. if you're going to come into this movie and expect godzilla vs kong, you're going to be disappointed. 

on top of all this. it's a 2hr movie. sit back and enjoy.

everyone is pissing and moaning about how unrealistic it is that a female could take on AN EXTRATERRESTRIAL HUNTER with tech that doesn't even exist.

but let's focus on the female and the message.

if you want ultra realism, go watch ken burns' films.

this film is an amusement park ride. strap in and enjoy. stop looking around and try to find the wrinkles and look behind the curtain. 

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

If the "sexism in a survival situation" line from Jurassic Park were in a movie today, the whining would never end.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 02:49:59 PMGirly hero in this movie is not a scientist ...

A lot of "primitive cultures" were full of scientists. Not in the white-coat, scientific-method  kind, but the kind that did a lot of observation, noticed cause and effect, noticed patterns and drew conclusions and learned. A lot of "scientists" in the modern day study the knowledge and lore of these cultures to learn what they learned.

In Australia, for example, the indigenous Australians knew that you had to burn the bush regularly. If you don't, then the fuel load becomes too high, and when it inevitably catches fire, then instead of a small, controllable fire, you have a wildfire.

Burning the bush releases the nutrients locked up in dead leaves and larger plant that crowd out others. (Australia is mostly too dry for vegeatable matter to break down quickly via fungi etc).

So you get new plants taking advantage of the nutrients, and growing like crazy. Animals love those tender young shoots. And those animals were an important part of the diet of the Indigenous Australians, so they had easy pickings.

And those plants? They know what all those plants are, which ones are good to eat, which ones not to eat, which ones are medicine. which ones flowing means which season is coming, and so on.

They weren't born knowing this stuff. They observed and discovered and learned.

That's science.

SiL

SiL

He's already said nobody can change his mind. There's no discussion to be had here. Don't take the bait.

ace3g

ace3g

That verbiage....

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

SiL

SiL

Yeah that doesn't bode well

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

I don't mind when different kind of predators are introduced, I mind when new designs are introduced and are meant to be the classics, like they did with AVP and The Predator

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

*Snipped.

Let's leave it please, it flies in the face of my original warning to him. I think the others are making the point without lowering to his level. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed