Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 321,634 times)

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AMDutch had explosive-tipped arrow, not some primitive wood arrow, and Dutch wounded Predator which was clear by Predator's green blood which could be seen on many stones in the final battle.
Well we got gunpowder from French trappers and cast iron hand grenades were a thing back then, so how would you know if Naru wouldn't receive help from the surviving trappers in using the grenades or even gunpowder to make traps more lethal? Hell, they are trappers, they got iron bear traps they can use or something. Some kind of joint alliance to take down an enemy that threatens both sides? Could be possible.

Second of all, maybe poison or venom can be involved? Various native tribes use them for hunts so who's to say that she wouldn't use them either? Poison from plants or venom from snakes, perhaps a deadly combo of both on her spears and arrows? Combine this with knowledge of the terrain, traps, and perhaps gunpowder to enhance the lethality of both weapons and tactics and you can have an interesting battle of cat and mouse. To be fair, you did say you can't imagine how she can do it, so I don't blame you on this one for not imagining such scenarios.

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AMAfter that Predator caught Dutch and melee fight started. Dutch received severe beating from Predator, I am sure 50 kg teen girl would die from the beating alone.
Maybe she is smart enough not to get close to it, seeing how she witnessed how it lifted a bear, hunted her people, and the French trappers like nothing. Idk, it helps to know one's own weaknesses and not expose themselves like that. Maybe she figured it out that she can't get near it and must fight it from afar. Maybe it's just me.

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AMFinally, 200kg+ log was lifted by Dutch muscles, Comanche teen girl wouldn't be able to do it.

There is different types of traps, doesn't have to be a log. Spike traps are one example.

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AMYou can also check sport, when 15-year old boys teams in soccer or basketball are always easily winning women national teams. Even Phil Jackson told that.
If you want historical evidence of women native american warriors, I can tell you about Pine Leaf and Running Eagle as examples of women warriors who went hand to hand with seasoned male warriors of rival tribes and walked away with their scalps. I can even give you a quote about Pine Leaf by an American frontiersman about her abilities;

"I conceive it to be my duty to devote a few lines to the bravest woman that ever lived, namely, Pine Leaf – in Indian, Bar-chee-am-pe. For an Indian, she possessed great intellectual powers. She was endowed with extraordinary muscular strength, with the activity of the cat and the speed of an antelope. When I engaged in the fiercest struggles, no one was more promptly at my side than the young heroine. She seemed incapable of fear; and when she arrived at womanhood, could fire a gun without flinching, and use Indian weapons with as great dexterity as the most accomplished warrior."   - James "Bloody Arm" Beckworth, American Frontiersman

At the end of the day, there are ways to do this. It's not hard to understand that the most dangerous and powerful weapon someone can use against their foe is their mind. Mind over matter as the old saying goes.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jun 21, 2022, 03:57:00 PMIf you want historical evidence of women native american warriors, I can tell you about Pine Leaf and Running Eagle as examples of women warriors who went hand to hand with seasoned male warriors of rival tribes and walked away with their scalps. I can even give you a quote about Pine Leaf by an American frontiersman about her abilities;

"I conceive it to be my duty to devote a few lines to the bravest woman that ever lived, namely, Pine Leaf – in Indian, Bar-chee-am-pe. For an Indian, she possessed great intellectual powers. She was endowed with extraordinary muscular strength, with the activity of the cat and the speed of an antelope. When I engaged in the fiercest struggles, no one was more promptly at my side than the young heroine. She seemed incapable of fear; and when she arrived at womanhood, could fire a gun without flinching, and use Indian weapons with as great dexterity as the most accomplished warrior."   - James "Bloody Arm" Beckworth, American Frontiersman

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5dc1ee8ec842b271464dc6ee/1619820729646-ZVLA6XV65G9YV74CAAMW/0620winborg_j_MightMane.jpg?format=1000w
At the end of the day, there are ways to do this. It's not hard to understand that the most dangerous and powerful weapon someone can use against their foe is their mind. Mind over matter as the old saying goes.

That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

Preddie-nokas

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jun 21, 2022, 03:57:00 PMSecond of all, maybe poison or venom can be involved? Various native tribes use them for hunts so who's to say that she wouldn't use them either? Poison from plants or venom from snakes, perhaps a deadly combo of both on her spears and arrows?

I don't have time to reply to everyone who responded nor everything you wrote. I don't agree with most of what was written but all of you have right to your own opinion.

Regarding poison or venom, I believe this is very, but really very bad idea. Why ? Because we don't know how alien biology works, what poison or venom is dangerous to Predator. His blood is completely different than ours, and poisons/venoms which evolved on earth aren't evolved to harm his biology.

All animals on Earth evolved on the same planet, they even have same ancestor at some point in time, and for example rabies is 100% deadly to all mammals, but cannot do anything to birds, reptiles, fishes, etc.

So how should our girly teen hero figure out what Predator's body cannot tolerate ?

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 12:23:19 PM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jun 21, 2022, 03:57:00 PMSecond of all, maybe poison or venom can be involved? Various native tribes use them for hunts so who's to say that she wouldn't use them either? Poison from plants or venom from snakes, perhaps a deadly combo of both on her spears and arrows?

I don't have time to reply to everyone who responded nor everything you wrote. I don't agree with most of what was written but all of you have right to your own opinion.

Regarding poison or venom, I believe this is very, but really very bad idea. Why ? Because we don't know how alien biology works, what poison or venom is dangerous to Predator. His blood is completely different than ours, and poisons/venoms which evolved on earth aren't evolved to harm his biology.

All animals on Earth evolved on the same planet, they even have same ancestor at some point in time, and for example rabies is 100% deadly to all mammals, but cannot do anything to birds, reptiles, fishes, etc.

So how should our girly teen hero figure out what Predator's body cannot tolerate ?

But the alien biochemistry thing works both ways: technically there should be a large amount of Terran biological material that is toxic/inimical or at least fundamentally incompatible to life that evolved elsewhere. We can see, to start with, the Earth atmosphere is not perfectly suited to them; they prefer to wear helmets with either some kind of filter or air-supply.

You don't see Predator's eating anything local. Well, not in the films I've seen (which isn't all of them).

The director states: "the ingenuity of a human being who won't give up, who's able to observe and interpret, basically being able to beat a stronger, more powerful, well-armed force."

The key words there are "observe" and "interpret".

Also I think your language "girly teen hero" is pretty derogatory, bordering on misogynistic. How about "heroic young woman"?

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

In P2, Keyes said City Hunter was eating beef in the slaughterhouse though.

Regarding poison, I'm on the side of those who believe that it could at least incapacitate the predator in some way, thus weakening/disturbing him a bit, which could give advantage to humans in the movie.

SuperiorIronman

I mean even with bullet wounds and a missing limb these things don't exactly slow down. And given they're from space they've probably at least considered alien pathogens and poisons. So they're probably treated as best they could before going out. But then this is the first time at least Feral was ever here and so how would he know?

That would be kind of amusing in today's climate where the villain doesn't wear a proper mask and he gets sick.

Kailem

Kailem

Wasn't there a line in an earlier draft of Predators where Noland says something like "what kills us only hurts them"? In the case of poison, I'd be down for the same kind of thing happening. Maybe Naru uses some sort of extremely lethal poison on her arrows but rather than killing Feral outright like it would a human, it just disorients him long enough for her to spring a trap of some sort of, or at least puts him off-balance long enough for her to stand a chance against him.

Preddie-nokas

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 22, 2022, 01:12:46 PMBut the alien biochemistry thing works both ways: technically there should be a large amount of Terran biological material that is toxic/inimical or at least fundamentally incompatible to life that evolved elsewhere. We can see, to start with, the Earth atmosphere is not perfectly suited to them; they prefer to wear helmets with either some kind of filter or air-supply.

You don't see Predator's eating anything local. Well, not in the films I've seen (which isn't all of them).

The director states: "the ingenuity of a human being who won't give up, who's able to observe and interpret, basically being able to beat a stronger, more powerful, well-armed force."

The key words there are "observe" and "interpret".

Also I think your language "girly teen hero" is pretty derogatory, bordering on misogynistic. How about "heroic young woman"?

Look, regarding "girly teen hero", I come from a culture and age where we didn't have terms as misogynistic and modern liberal nonsenses. When I was young men had firm handshakes and testosterone levels were much higher than today. You won't change my viewpoints, I was raised before those silly terms were invented and propagated by mass media, and when men like Conan and Rambo were the heroes.

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/grip-strength-millennials-weaker-handshakes-fathers-study/

I described hero of this film as I see it, weak primitive girl who is fighting a high tech beast. Native Americans were stone age culture, they didn't even have metallurgy in North America, it is good question can wooden arrows without sharp metal tip even penetrate Predator's reptilian skin.

I don't know about Predator's IQ, but by looking their technology, and knowing they are capable of going on interstellar trips, they should have at least same level or higher IQ than humans. It is not like it is easy to outsmart them, but I admit their biggest weakness is their self-confidence. E.g. Jungle Hunter could easily kill Dutch numerous times, but he decided to play with him.

Girly hero in this movie is not a scientist so she won't figure out what poison/venom can harm Predator. They have some trouble breathing Earth's atmosphere, but you can't figure out which compounds are they missing. Maybe they need less Oxygen, maybe more, maybe they are missing some molecule which isn't present in Earth's atmosphere.

This girl doesn't know that there are other planets in space, that Earth exists in Universe, that there is Solar system, etc., even in Europe at that time only small amount of astronomers knew that Earth is revolving around sun. So she can't even assume this is alien from another planet, probably she will think it is some kind of God, Spirit, animal which was not discovered before, or something like that.

At the end, idea with poison/venom just won't work because we are talking about alien with green blood. From previous movies we've seen Predators in multiple environments, and nothing was toxic to them. Our girl hero will probably think that Predator is sensitive to the same venoms and poisons as her, because she can't comprehend that there are other planets with beings evolving there.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Rambo was never a hero.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 02:49:59 PMLook, regarding "girly teen hero", I come from a culture and age where we didn't have terms as misogynistic and modern liberal nonsenses. When I was young men had firm handshakes and testosterone levels were much higher than today. You won't change my viewpoints, I was raised before those silly terms were invented and propagated by mass media, and when men like Conan and Rambo were the heroes.

Unfortunately for yourself, we live in the 21st century where the dictators here expect actual respect involved in the discussions. If we're not changing your viewpoint there, I expect this isn't the place for you to be.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 12:23:19 PMI don't have time to reply to everyone who responded nor everything you wrote. I don't agree with most of what was written but all of you have right to your own opinion.
Hopefully you can cuz I do wanna know why not. I just find it very silly that Naru can't use similar methods to kill a Predator like Dutch did only because she is a woman. All the opposition of her character always comes down to "she is a woman" so I do laugh and ticker around with how people can justify misogyny.

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 12:23:19 PMRegarding poison or venom, I believe this is very, but really very bad idea. Why ? Because we don't know how alien biology works, what poison or venom is dangerous to Predator. His blood is completely different than ours, and poisons/venoms which evolved on earth aren't evolved to harm his biology.
All of this is being looked at from a native american perspective from the 18th century, they don't even know what an alien is, so how is this going to stop them from using poison or venom to try and kill this unknown being?

Second, it's writing. The writers can take it into any turn if they please. Many films like War of the Worlds addresses how our microbes killed off the invading force in the end due to the fact their bodies couldn't handle our planet's conditions. Others films shrug this detail off cuz writing demands conflict, otherwise no film is done. They can easily say Predators can adapt to Earth's atmosphere for a limited time without their bio-mask but are weak to our poisons/venoms. Every film has done aliens differently so this isn't cut and dry as you think it is. Besides, if Predators were able to be sedated like how we see in The Predator, I have no doubt that poisons/venoms can affect them to some kind of fatal degree.

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 02:49:59 PMLook, regarding "girly teen hero", I come from a culture and age where we didn't have terms as misogynistic and modern liberal nonsenses. When I was young men had firm handshakes and testosterone levels were much higher than today.

Yeah and there was also a time when men were men, beating their wives for undercooking their steak and being racist to black people was the norm, but obviously things change huh  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 02:49:59 PMI was raised before those silly terms were invented and propagated by mass media, and when men like Conan and Rambo were the heroes.
Rambo, you mean the film where people missed the point of how war is f**ked up, our boys in green were left behind by both the military and the country, the one where everyone missed the point of how war is bad and decided to glorify death and destruction?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 02:49:59 PMhttps://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/grip-strength-millennials-weaker-handshakes-fathers-study/

QuoteSo what gives? We can't just credit Old Man Strength (which is a real thing), since the researchers compared men of the same age. More likely to blame is the simple fact that the average American worker is hauling fewer heavy objects and typing more emails than we did 31 years ago.

"Work patterns have changed dramatically since 1985, when the first norms were established," Fain, an occupational therapist, told NPR. "As a society, we're no longer agricultural or manufacturing.... What we're doing more now is technology-related, especially for millennials."

Yeah, if you are going to post some kind of article that wanna support your views, gotta make a read into it cuz the whole point of this is just to show how job demands are changing and hardcore labor isn't as needed as it once used to thanks to today's new technology and innovation that makes productions much more simpler and easier to do, making room for other new jobs such as IT and programing that is needed. Hence why the growth of stay at home jobs, that is just progress. It's just change of the world, nothing negative about it. Which you missed the point....

QuoteFain and Weatherford bring this up not to mock millennials, but to point out that the 1985 hand-strength standards—an important factor in assessing the severity of hand injuries—are, like most haircuts and jeans styles from 1985, probably a little outdated.

Even then, seems like some men don't need to make a point about how manly they are, they just do what they need or want to do, and don't need some old timer telling them how less of a man they are cuz some silly notion of weak grip strength. Again, all of this simply shows how much time passes but you haven't wised up a bit have you? Again, real shame.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Just screams of insecurity and fragility to be honest.

Not to mention that though in history women warriors isn't common and certainly something dominated by men doesn't mean women never did fight and weren't capable.

Joan of Arc, the Birka viking warrior, Khutulun, the Onna-musha, the Dahomey Amazons.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 22, 2022, 02:49:59 PMWhen I was young men had firm handshakes and testosterone levels were much higher than today. You won't change my viewpoints, I was raised before those silly terms were invented and propagated by mass media, and when men like Conan and Rambo were the heroes.

It's not manly to whine like this.

this is childish shit.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Should we tell him that both Conan movies had female warriors who were more than a match for Conan?

Preddie-nokas

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jun 22, 2022, 03:30:22 PMSecond, it's writing. The writers can take it into any turn if they please. Many films like War of the Worlds addresses how our microbes killed off the invading force in the end due to the fact their bodies couldn't handle our planet's conditions. Others films shrug this detail off cuz writing demands conflict, otherwise no film is done. They can easily say Predators can adapt to Earth's atmosphere for a limited time without their bio-mask but are weak to our poisons/venoms. Every film has done aliens differently so this isn't cut and dry as you think it is. Besides, if Predators were able to be sedated like how we see in The Predator, I have no doubt that poisons/venoms can affect them to some kind of fatal degree.

This is again simple thinking.

In the The Predator:
  • Predator had been alternated with human DNA, maybe that made him weak to sedatives as humans
  • You have modern laboratory with scientists who could analyze Predator's blood and tissue, see its composure, and have some assumption about potential sedatives

They said this is the first coming, so this Predator in 18th century doesn't have human DNA, and stone age woman cannot lucky guess Predator's biology weakness.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed