THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018)

Started by Tetsujin, Aug 23, 2018, 05:22:16 PM

Author
THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018) (Read 27,447 times)

Firestorm

Without pushing it too far off topic, i'd love to see Peter Berg direct a Predator movie, that guy knows how to do some intense action scenes.

Lone survivor was outstanding and both Patriots day and Deepwater horizon where tense and thrilling.

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 26, 2018, 04:58:48 PM

Damn it looks like me speaking ! Amen !

Thank you BigDaddyJohn and I actually did take your ideas  ;) so I am  actually plagiarizing you  ;D

Quote from: Firestorm on Aug 26, 2018, 05:06:49 PM
Without pushing it too far off topic, i'd love to see Peter Berg direct a Predator movie, that guy knows how to do some intense action scenes.

Lone survivor was outstanding and both Patriots day and Deepwater horizon where tense and thrilling.

Man I forgot about that Director  :o His "Cop Land" and "The Rundown" were good!

Danversity

I don't think any franchise of anything would ever be better at fans' hands. And Shane is not taking away from the character we recognize as Predator, that seems to me like it's an idea fans convinced themselves with because they don't like the Upgrade, but the real deal is that the Upgrade perfectly fits in the Predator mythos, especially after Shane's contextualization of his existence. I've used it as an example before, but it's like the Alien Queen. "Bigger, better, badder", stronger, more menacing, whatever. YES, I know that Aliens didn't have the Alien Queen murdering on regular aliens to showcase how badass she is like this movie is doing, because that wouldn't have made much sense on the Alien mythology, but it does make sense on the Predator one, 'cause we know Predators fight amongst themselves sometimes. And the Predator franchise, after 3 movies, needed something majorly new. Yes it did. Did "need" to be the Upgrade? No, but then again, it didn't "need" to inherently be anything. ANY new idea that they tossed at us, SOMEONE would've said "ah this is unnecessary", "they should've done something else", etc, because fans are always dissing new ideas that are not their own. The dogs? We've had them before, they make sense, so sure. A different, bigger type of Predator who has new hunting abilities and weapons and reason for him to be this way that adds and fits in the world we already have? Absolutely. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with CGI if it's well done, looks real and it's the best way to execute an idea, so they absolutely should go ahead and use it. It's perfectly alright not to have the Upgrade as your favorite Predator in the franchise or not to like him at all, but he is a Predator. He fits in the mythology. He doesn't change or take away of what the Predator is, only adds to it.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: azamultic on Aug 26, 2018, 05:17:07 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 26, 2018, 04:58:48 PM

Damn it looks like me speaking ! Amen !
Thank you BigDaddyJohn and I actually did take your ideas  ;) so I am  actually plagiarizing you  ;D

You're welcome dude !

Quote from: Danversity on Aug 26, 2018, 05:43:40 PM
I don't think any franchise of anything would ever be better at fans' hands. And Shane is not taking away from the character we recognize as Predator, that seems to me like it's an idea fans convinced themselves with because they don't like the Upgrade, but the real deal is that the Upgrade perfectly fits in the Predator mythos, especially after Shane's contextualization of his existence. I've used it as an example before, but it's like the Alien Queen. "Bigger, better, badder", stronger, more menacing, whatever. YES, I know that Aliens didn't have the Alien Queen murdering on regular aliens to showcase how badass she is like this movie is doing, because that wouldn't have made much sense on the Alien mythology, but it does make sense on the Predator one, 'cause we know Predators fight amongst themselves sometimes. And the Predator franchise, after 3 movies, needed something majorly new. Yes it did. Did "need" to be the Upgrade? No, but then again, it didn't "need" to inherently be anything. ANY new idea that they tossed at us, SOMEONE would've said "ah this is unnecessary", "they should've done something else", etc, because fans are always dissing new ideas that are not their own. The dogs? We've had them before, they make sense, so sure. A different, bigger type of Predator who has new hunting abilities and weapons and reason for him to be this way that adds and fits in the world we already have? Absolutely. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with CGI if it's well done, looks real and it's the best way to execute an idea, so they absolutely should go ahead and use it. It's perfectly alright not to have the Upgrade as your favorite Predator in the franchise or not to like him at all, but he is a Predator. He fits in the mythology. He doesn't change or take away of what the Predator is, only adds to it.

Today is the day i wholeheartedly agree with many people here, and you are one of them !  ;)

Danversity

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 26, 2018, 06:03:28 PM
Today is the day i wholeheartedly agree with many people here, and you are one of them !  ;)

Thanks a bunch!

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Am I hearing you all right? Christopher Nolan has been part of some the most ground breaking cinema in the last 20 years. Jesus you talk about me making bad comparisons. Shane black has nothing on what Nolan has achieved. That man has a real vision for every film he touches. Be it the dark knight, Dunkirk or interstellar. All which I might add were overwhelmingly critical and commercial successes. It's really funny how people attack people's opinions just for making a statement. It's my opinion deal with it.

I make an opinion and everyone turns it into a who's right and wrong. This is why I sometimes hate fandoms.

There is no right and wrong. It's just opinions people.

azamultic

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Aug 26, 2018, 07:54:54 PM
Am I hearing you all right? Christopher Nolan has been part of some the most ground breaking cinema in the last 20 years. Jesus you talk about me making bad comparisons. Shane black has nothing on what Nolan has achieved. That man has a real vision for every film he touches. Be it the dark knight, Dunkirk or interstellar. All which I might add were overwhelmingly critical and commercial successes. It's really funny how people attack people's opinions just for making a statement. It's my opinion deal with it.

I make an opinion and everyone turns it into a who's right and wrong. This is why I sometimes hate fandoms.

Hey Elder everything is cool? Somebody attacked you?  ??? Was it me?

PS: "I make an opinion and everyone turns it into a who's right and wrong. This is why I sometimes hate fandoms." Nah man we just had a debate with you, it's the whole point of the debate, you showing you opinion and the other side shows their opinion and everybody trying to show their argument as more logical then the other person, so they can persuade each other (simply saying everybody think they are right, without this you wouldn't have an opinion, so it's natural for people debate over opinions). But the main thing is to be respectful and cool about it.  ;)

The Old One

The Old One

I never attacked your opinion.

But Christopher Nolan's style is blue and black, changing aspect ratios and a Hans Zimmer soundtrack.
Not a style I care for.

I'd always rather see a Luc Besson, Denis Villeneuve, Jonathan Glazer, Peter Jackson or Bryan Fuller directed feature rather than a Christopher Nolan feature.
Because for all Jonathan Nolan's superb writing it doesn't make Christopher Nolan's films visually worthwhile.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 26, 2018, 08:16:30 PM
Christopher Nolan's style is blue and black, changing aspect ratios and a Hans Zimmer soundtrack.

Not to add fuel to any fires, but this is correct. I can only add that his films are far too long in general.

He's like Tarantino, minus all the things that make his movies unique and enjoyable.

After nearly 2 hours of Tarantino, I'm still expecting another dozen characters to engage in a massive shootout and an unusually odd yet attention grabbing conversation. After 2 hours of Nolan, I wake up long enough to ask if any of the characters have finally figured anything out yet. I may not even open my eyes, depending on how tired I am at the time. Tarantino has too much to say. Nolan takes too long to say too little.

happypred

I enjoyed Nolan's Interstellar...it was incredible. His Batman films are good but overrated IMO

azamultic

Yooooo Elder don't get angry with us, it's much more fans on your side then ours.(So it's mean you winning in overall)   ;D

Highland

Nolans films are good, they just have very little rewatch value I find, he sort of asks you some questions, but the answers really don't require you to go back and watch it again. Inception maybe.

georgeromero

Shane black has nothing on what Nolan has achieved. That man has a real vision for every film he touches. It's really funny how people attack people's opinions just for making a statement. It's my opinion deal with it.

Really? You say people attack your opinion and begin to hate fandom yet when someone tells you Nolan is not a good choice for Predator you expect every board member to agree with you? Remember, Shane Black made script changes for the original Predator movie you are so fond of. Before that it was another dumb sci fi/action movie where Predator had a shape-shifting ability! To say Shane Black has not achieved what Nolan did is far from the truth. Lethal Weapon, Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Nice Guys are all great movies. Also commercial success does not determine a good movie. If it was the case John Carpenter would have to be the worst director. But he isn't.

Nolan's Batman differs too much from the source material. He took too many liberties with his characters. Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a genius detective, a man of logic if you know what I mean. And certainly Bale did not look the part. Without his gadgets and employees he has to be the dumbest batman incarnation ever.

This is Batman we are talking about and we already have lots of differing opinions on this matter. Lots of contradictions, fans' comfort zones etc. Same thing applies to the Predator. That's why a movie done by a fan would never work. You can't please everyone. Some folks will enjoy this flick as long as it doesn't look trashy teen slasher like AvP:R or dumbed down mainstream sci-fi route of the first AvP.

von

Quote from: georgeromero on Aug 27, 2018, 07:10:09 AM
Shane black has nothing on what Nolan has achieved. That man has a real vision for every film he touches. It's really funny how people attack people's opinions just for making a statement. It's my opinion deal with it.

Really? You say people attack your opinion and begin to hate fandom yet when someone tells you Nolan is not a good choice for Predator you expect every board member to agree with you? Remember, Shane Black made script changes for the original Predator movie you are so fond of. Before that it was another dumb sci fi/action movie where Predator had a shape-shifting ability! To say Shane Black has not achieved what Nolan did is far from the truth. Lethal Weapon, Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Nice Guys are all great movies. Also commercial success does not determine a good movie. If it was the case John Carpenter would have to be the worst director. But he isn't.

Nolan's Batman differs too much from the source material. He took too many liberties with his characters. Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a genius detective, a man of logic if you know what I mean. And certainly Bale did not look the part. Without his gadgets and employees he has to be the dumbest batman incarnation ever.

This is Batman we are talking about and we already have lots of differing opinions on this matter. Lots of contradictions, fans' comfort zones etc. Same thing applies to the Predator. That's why a movie done by a fan would never work. You can't please everyone. Some folks will enjoy this flick as long as it doesn't look trashy teen slasher like AvP:R or dumbed down mainstream sci-fi route of the first AvP.

Good points :) shane is more indie while nolan is mainstream. just my 2 cents

ELDERCLANLEADER

Yeah well I don't know what half of you are talking about. Maybe that's it?

If you don't like his films fine but most of us do. The dark knight didn't get rated as one of the best movies ever period for no reason at all. For me Nolan's batman is the closest you are going to get to batman being in the real world. Nolan is an excellent director and visionary, I wasn't even a batman fan until Nolan came about with batman begins.

However I agree his films can be cold. But the technical side of his film making is original, unforgiving and ruthless. You might not like the guy for whatever reason, but to deny his talents is stupid. Let's keep in mind that most of his shots are practical with very little cgi if any. Between him, his wife and his brother, they have made some of the most original movies in cinema in the last 20 years. Sure he sometimes lacks character development and emotion. But all his films feel real. And to me that's his selling point. Thats why I think he would make a good director for predator. Since when has Predator been something emotional? Give me a break and give me something that feels serious and grounded in reality, over tacky one liners any day of the week. You might not like this fact, but Nolan resurrected and reinvented batman to the masses, it's a simple fact. If he can do it with batman. I'm pretty sure he could with any other franchise for that matter, including predator. By the way I wasn't aware Shane black had anything to do with the original predator script.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed