Alien Isolation : Post Mortem

Started by hellrasinbrasin, Nov 16, 2014, 09:15:18 AM

Author
Alien Isolation : Post Mortem (Read 18,502 times)

hellrasinbrasin

...What is it, that you see as being CAs Legacy; in the Alien Video Game Franchise?

Xhan

Xhan

A fun oneshot ride and supremely inspired if technically flawed and canonically laughable.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Xhan on Nov 17, 2014, 04:09:13 AM
A fun oneshot ride and supremely inspired if technically flawed and canonically laughable.

There's always one of you somewhere.

Xhan

Xhan

Considering the game in your sig, no retort necessary.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I thought it was brilliant, and certainly the best Alien game we've had since... Well, AVP2.

Playing through it again now, it's still brilliant (although, after playing on hard, it's stupidly simple on easy).

Quote from: Xhan on Nov 17, 2014, 04:09:13 AMA fun oneshot ride and supremely inspired if technically flawed and canonically laughable.

How is it 'canonically laughable'?

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. It certainly fits in fine with canon. Fair more than I ever expected it too.

I thought it was a fantastic breath of fresh air. Best Alien game for years.

Just a shame it's not something you'll be playing too often. The  Survivor mode isn't enough to really hold up the game - their needed to be more story-driven extra content or a co-op campaign. So I see this being a once or twice a year affair after all the DLC has finished.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2014, 10:21:23 AMThe  Survivor mode isn't enough to really hold up the game - their needed to be more story-driven extra content or a co-op campaign.

Has it been confirmed that there won't be any story DLC?

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2014, 10:21:23 AM
Indeed. It certainly fits in fine with canon. Fair more than I ever expected it too.

I thought it was a fantastic breath of fresh air. Best Alien game for years.

Just a shame it's not something you'll be playing too often. The  Survivor mode isn't enough to really hold up the game - their needed to be more story-driven extra content or a co-op campaign. So I see this being a once or twice a year affair after all the DLC has finished.

I think the greatest shame is it was a bit of a "first play" experience, it would have been nice if they had worked in more replayabilty - for example take a game as simple as RE1, that had multiple endings, choices which needed to be made to keep people alive, optional areas etc etc. That said I'm still very grateful for what we got.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenoscream on Nov 17, 2014, 01:03:09 PMfor example take a game as simple as RE1, that had multiple endings, choices which needed to be made to keep people alive, optional areas etc etc.

I did actually find a couple of areas I'd totally missed on my first playthrough over the weekend. Nothing especially exciting, but it was nice to find new areas of the station I hadn't seen.

But I agree the game's nowhere near as amazing second time. It's still awesome, but it's lost it's edge. The fact easy is such a cakewalk compared to hard probably isn't helping. The Alien didn't spot me once in the medical centre.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 17, 2014, 01:16:34 PM
Quote from: Xenoscream on Nov 17, 2014, 01:03:09 PMfor example take a game as simple as RE1, that had multiple endings, choices which needed to be made to keep people alive, optional areas etc etc.

I did actually find a couple of areas I'd totally missed on my first playthrough over the weekend. Nothing especially exciting, but it was nice to find new areas of the station I hadn't seen.

But I agree the game's nowhere near as amazing second time. It's still awesome, but it's lost it's edge. The fact easy is such a cakewalk compared to hard probably isn't helping. The Alien didn't spot me once in the medical centre.

If you are going for the no death achievement, I'd stick the difficulty back up and then if you reload "previous save" not current, you can still get the achievement. This way your punishment for dieing is much worse (2 save points back) so you will really be trying to cling to life, whereas easy mode I'm guessing you are just speed running through the areas.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Xhan on Nov 17, 2014, 07:55:23 AM
Considering the game in your sig, no retort necessary.
okay lol

PsyKore

PsyKore

Terrific game. Stellar environments, attention to detail. Great atmosphere. Decent story.

Drags in a lot in places. Too many f**king androids. Alien sounds like a dog and is not as creepy/quiet/stalky as it should've been.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 18, 2014, 09:22:37 PM
Terrific game. Stellar environments, attention to detail. Great atmosphere. Decent story.

Drags in a lot in places. Too many f**king androids. Alien sounds like a dog and is not as creepy/quiet/stalky as it should've been.

Doggy style alien sounds really bother me in this game (also in AvP 3), i hope future alien games try to adress this because one dodgy roar/growl can ruin the alien atmosphere. CA nailed the visuals,  no complaints there. 7.9 overall for the amazing visuals and some tense and exciting gameplay.

Jango1201

Jango1201

Quote from: reecebomb on Nov 18, 2014, 10:55:09 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 18, 2014, 09:22:37 PM

Doggy style alien sounds really bother me in this game (also in AvP 3), i hope future alien games try to adress this because one dodgy roar/growl can ruin the alien atmosphere. CA nailed the visuals,  no complaints there. 7.9 overall for the amazing visuals and some tense and exciting gameplay.

Can't agree on this one. The idea of being able to adapt to your hunter is a strong point of this game and really allows you to progress. The sounds the alien makes helps the player to continue and feel that they can continue to overcome the odds. No sound that the alien makes has had me think it isn't natural for it to make when its hunting.

Xhan

Xhan

Except he has three hissy noises that move and telegraph inline fine, and they could have expanded that instead of adding barks and RARFs, especially when they had direct access to the original masters.

hell they could have used the whirring noise as a reverse motion tracker that got louder as he got closer. The soundset they chose is both arbitrary and obnoxious.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed