Alien vs Predator-1999
21 (20.4%)
Alien vs Predator 2
59 (57.3%)
Aliens vs Predator 3
23 (22.3%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author
Best of the 3 AVP Games (Read 13,799 times)

Nerevar

Nerevar

I remember the '99 AvP game, scared the shit out of me (I'm from '85, let me be...)... So for the sense of being a marine and respawning aliens are behind EVERY corner, although they are definately NOT, the scare aspect-credits go to this game.

But, being spoiled and since I like some control in my games, the AvP 2 game (or at least demo...)did it all for me. I must have played the demo multiple times, looking at every corner and detail, the lift (elevator), the lovely shotgun, again the shotgun, and the graphics (did I mention the shotgun?)... I had to buy the game! And I have plyed it only about 5 times since 2004... The whole mystique and I WANT THAT I experienced in the demo disappeared in the full game. But for that, it's my number 1 :p

AvP 3? bites...

shadowedge

shadowedge

AVP2 was by far my favorite. It had the best multiplayer and the best species balance. Also each species in multilayer had 4 classes, kind of similar to the way Team Fortress has classes, but AVP 2 came first. You could actually choose to play Aliens vs Predators, Predators vs Marines, or Aliens vs Marines too. No need to have one of each species in each multiplayer team DM game.

One of the best things was you could molt into a Queen in multiplayer with enough kills in a row and you could switch species on the fly.

AVP99 had great Skirmish mode though and with the Gold Edition you could dual wield pistols.

The Xenoborg

The Xenoborg

AvP: Extinction is not the best, but why isn't it mentioned? It was a fun game.
Even if AvP2010 had the technology, it couldn't get the atmosphere right.
AvP2 tried to add on to the existent stories and information we had.
AvP2010 just recycled the info we have.
AvP99 also added the concept of Praetorians.

It's about adding things, and still keeping it real, which AvP2010 couldn't.

The only thing that I like about it, is the first-person view, which seems very immersive.

AlexVelez

AlexVelez

Quote from: The Xenoborg on Dec 27, 2011, 09:47:48 AM
AvP: Extinction is not the best

AVP:Extinction is a console game, not only that but it's an RTS. This thread is talking about the 3 FPS games that were released on the PC.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

I find this difficult. Certainly not the recent one. That one just plain didn't cut it.
I feel the first one had the best gameplay but the 2nd one had the best story. I greatly enjoy playing both but they both captivate me in such a way that it really is hard for me to say.
If you get me in an armlock, I will say that the 1st one is the most enjoyable playing experience.

chupacabras acheronsis

AVP 99 was a game changer in shooters, period. with it's introduction of the three species and their distinct gameplay, with it's paralyzing darkness, beautiful lightning even today, and loving accuracy to the movies it blended two cinematographic franchises into a three games, and put those three games in one game. a good game. i put it up there with games like Quake and half life by how damn important it was, by how much it introduced. it had all that frantic speed and messy violence from old school arena shooters which made it less scary some times and pants shittingly terrifying the other times. it was a sweet, sweet game that everybody will always love.

but AVP2... it picked up what AvP gave and took it places, amazing places. it gave it a solid story, and masterfully distributed it along the campaigns. it sucked you in, it made you want more. you'd finish a campaign with a lot of questions without answers and answers without questions, and both would be systematically solved in an ingenious way in the next one. and it was so damn satisfying to uncover this huge, HUGE story scattered in papers, in computers, or modeled in the world you could take all the time in the world to walk around if you chose to, you'd never find oddly empty spaces and invisible barriers because they got lazy, it was all there. it didn't expect you to do that, it offered you to use your judgement, and it rewarded you for it with hidden goodies or clues or some fun fact. the puzzles were a bit more simple this time but still just confusing enough to make them challenging and satisfying. and the complex was so damn beautifully made. players tend to forget out of being used to the plain multiplayer maps, but the alien campaign, the first three levels are amazing in their detail and dedication, and the base does feel lively before you get your turn to rampage through it. the story is tight and while Frosty was a boring ass main character, both the predator and the alien take an inmense amount of personality depending on how you play them, and their simple story becomes engaging as it progress, because you find your own motivation to fight through this. it's a hell of a single player experience, and it's my stellar example of an AvP done right. and while graphics and voice acting are weak at best, this game still beats stuff like Halo for me. it does so much more with so much less, technically speaking.

AVP2010 was subpar. let's get that out the way. visually it must be one of the best looking multiplat games out currently, but inside, it turns it's back to what made these games special: gameplay. the levels are tiny, the movement is slow, the game is repetitive and short and the story is dull. it's got the music, it's got the graphics, the audio and a lot of lore to gargle on but it didn't satisfy, and no SDK means it didn't even aim to please the hardcore fans who might have archieved something with this mediocre product. for anyone who hadn't played any AvP game before, this game might deliver, but it's an inferior title put side to side. no game will ever be better just by looking better.

so my vote goes to 2.

The Xenoborg

The Xenoborg

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 03, 2012, 06:39:45 AM
AVP 99 was a game changer in shooters, period. with it's introduction of the three species and their distinct gameplay, with it's paralyzing darkness, beautiful lightning even today, and loving accuracy to the movies it blended two cinematographic franchises into a three games, and put those three games in one game. a good game. i put it up there with games like Quake and half life by how damn important it was, by how much it introduced. it had all that frantic speed and messy violence from old school arena shooters which made it less scary some times and pants shittingly terrifying the other times. it was a sweet, sweet game that everybody will always love.

but AVP2... it picked up what AvP gave and took it places, amazing places. it gave it a solid story, and masterfully distributed it along the campaigns. it sucked you in, it made you want more. you'd finish a campaign with a lot of questions without answers and answers without questions, and both would be systematically solved in an ingenious way in the next one. and it was so damn satisfying to uncover this huge, HUGE story scattered in papers, in computers, or modeled in the world you could take all the time in the world to walk around if you chose to, you'd never find oddly empty spaces and invisible barriers because they got lazy, it was all there. it didn't expect you to do that, it offered you to use your judgement, and it rewarded you for it with hidden goodies or clues or some fun fact. the puzzles were a bit more simple this time but still just confusing enough to make them challenging and satisfying. and the complex was so damn beautifully made. players tend to forget out of being used to the plain multiplayer maps, but the alien campaign, the first three levels are amazing in their detail and dedication, and the base does feel lively before you get your turn to rampage through it. the story is tight and while Frosty was a boring ass main character, both the predator and the alien take an inmense amount of personality depending on how you play them, and their simple story becomes engaging as it progress, because you find your own motivation to fight through this. it's a hell of a single player experience, and it's my stellar example of an AvP done right. and while graphics and voice acting are weak at best, this game still beats stuff like Halo for me. it does so much more with so much less, technically speaking.

AVP2010 was subpar. let's get that out the way. visually it must be one of the best looking multiplat games out currently, but inside, it turns it's back to what made these games special: gameplay. the levels are tiny, the movement is slow, the game is repetitive and short and the story is dull. it's got the music, it's got the graphics, the audio and a lot of lore to gargle on but it didn't satisfy, and no SDK means it didn't even aim to please the hardcore fans who might have archieved something with this mediocre product. for anyone who hadn't played any AvP game before, this game might deliver, but it's an inferior title put side to side. no game will ever be better just by looking better.

so my vote goes to 2.

Very well put. You summed up the entire game franchise and yes, two is the best out of all three.
AvP2010 could have been so much better and awesome but it missed it.

Sandy Tess

Sandy Tess

Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity to play the first two AVP games so I picked AVP3. I found it be a satisfying game; as many others have mentioned it was disappointingly short. >:(

The Xenoborg

The Xenoborg

Quote from: Sandy Tess on Jan 03, 2012, 10:16:05 AM
Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity to play the first two AVP games so I picked AVP3. I found it be a satisfying game; though as many others have mentioned it was disappointingly short. >:(
So are you planning to play the first two, ever? You should, don't miss out on awesomeness.

Sandy Tess

Sandy Tess

I've always planned to but with work I barely get any spare time. :-\

robbritton

robbritton

so my vote goes to 2.

Absolutely. Wonderfully put! The second game is the only Alien game I have played that feels part of the movie universe. It just feels weighty somehow. It's an absolute must.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: robbritton on Jan 04, 2012, 10:00:05 AM
so my vote goes to 2.

Absolutely. Wonderfully put! The second game is the only Alien game I have played that feels part of the movie universe. It just feels weighty somehow. It's an absolute must.

This is pretty much now I feel too. While the first game still is my favorite for other reasons. AvP2 really gave the player the sense that they were a part of a larger intertwining story. Beyond reusing the same levels in each campaign, AvP2010 didn't really have that feeling. It didn't feel set in the Alien universe the way the previous games did.

CSM101

CSM101

Avp 2 for me. The story was a unique continuation in the alien universe, it took the first avp game and made it better. Avp 99 was something I never really played much I was more of a half life player. Avp 3 on the other hand is boring compared to the more interesting story and plot of 2!

So hands down avp2.

The Runner

The Runner

How about Multiplayer wise?

AVp2 for me.

CSM101

CSM101

I can't comment on that as I never played the multiplayer on avp2. To be frank I don't really care about online multiplayer, and in this day and age it's just full of people shouting down their microphones  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed