Mechanics Needing To Be Changed

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 21, 2010, 02:27:51 AM

Author
Mechanics Needing To Be Changed (Read 77,730 times)

Xenomorphine

I actually doubt it weighs all that much. :)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Either way, options are always great.

AJL

AJL

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jan 27, 2010, 11:35:35 AM
Either way, options are always great.

Exept I think preds cloaking device is so small and light and is integrated
into preds armour somewhere in such a way that whether or not the pred
have it, doesn't matter when considering what else the pred can carry...

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Yep, but I was talking in terms closer to game mechanics and balance than pure canonical consistency.

AJL

AJL

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jan 27, 2010, 11:49:46 AM
Yep, but I was talking in terms closer to game mechanics and balance than pure canonical consistency.

I was thinking about game mechanics and such too but kept the canonical consistency in mind...

Marines have their firepower (or should)
Predators have their cloak (or should)
Bugs have their wallwalk (or should)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I consider the cloak less of a determinate factor in a game like AvP where half their enemies see through it anyway. The most in-character gameplay aspect of Predators is their combat style. They should have powerful precision weapons that are unforgiving if misused but dominating if used correctly - and that's precisely what they have.

Le Celticant

As a mapper from the old AVP2 game I think there are many things to change about it.

Problems nowadays in map is the way they are built.
Basically it's the same structure where you have 2 level (3 occasionally).
Map is perfectly symmetric or at least almost with minor changes.
There are usually 2 place where everybody fight and thus 2 places are usually linked with 1 large corridor which makes 1 single area where all the fight happens.

This is wrong in my opinion.
First of all maps need to be asymmetric with plenty of details.
The size of the maps must be something average (not enormous, but not small classic detahmatchs maps that we were used to play maybe 10 years ago.)
Indoors and Outdoors location would be the best with several level in the map Inside (Maybe 3 levels with vent access everywhere for Aliens) and a true work of the environment outside (Making different levels by using landscape, trees, platform, building, etc.)
There shouldn't be any "typical location" of fight. Seeing the size of the map which is average, most indoors locations would be close corridors linked with many rooms with a vent system all across the complex.
Outdoors should be mostly one single big location or maybe two but the different level of the map and all the details put in it should remove the usual locations where all the people give rendez-vous to fight.

The_Silencer

I'd like to see a cloaked predator behind a couple light sources; that in detail and if you want, in slow mo.

I think I'll have to wait for the demo though.

PS. I want a huge jungle map, with tress, palms and rocks everywhere and different slopes for the sake of the HUNT. Ahem. ok :)

Le Celticant

Quote from: The_Silencer on Jan 27, 2010, 01:38:20 PM
I'd like to see a cloaked predator behind a couple light sources; that in detail and if you want, in slow mo.

I think I'll have to wait for the demo though.

PS. I want a huge jungle map, with tress, palms and rocks everywhere and different slopes for the sake of the HUNT. Ahem. ok :)

Single environment map is also a big problem to the mechanic.
Jungle map are usually very good to do Marine (several) Vs. Predator (2 - 3) but they are problematics when Alien put their noise in.
Thus type of map are too much outdoors environment and they need to be adjust by adding cave and maybe some bunker (linked to the cave.)
Jungle maps are the hardest to balance and the gameplay of the species is in most of times screwed because of some shitty idea put in it (One road, trees all around) and locations are bunker, temples, caves are missing which gives no chance to one specie when they are all mixed in.

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jan 27, 2010, 01:45:34 PM

I'm sorry.. just not getting a clear understanding of what you are saying.

Jungle map are usually very good to do Marine (several) Vs. Predator (2 - 3) but they are problematics when Alien put their noise in. Thus type of map are too much outdoors environment and they need to be adjust by adding cave and maybe some bunker (linked to the cave.)

Not sure on the aliens thing. I was thinking in a gift for the predator and a nightmare for the marine. Ok a gift for the marine too, I was just kidding. Although you should read below..

Jungle maps are the hardest to balance and the gameplay of the species is in most of times screwed because of some shitty idea put in it (One road, trees all around) and locations are bunker, temples, caves are missing which gives no chance to one specie when they are all mixed in.

Having into account that this kind of map would be Predator vs. marine only. I'd like to recommend you this Crysis map so you get an idea of what I do have in mind. -> GDC06 Tech Map by BaggiBox. Perhaps with lower vegetation density, higher "climbable" trees spreaded around and on a larger map playable area. This map model well adapted to the AvP game would be outstanding. Like in the movies, man. :).

In case you've played this map in Crysis.. You think aliens would have that trouble on it from the mechanics standpoint?.

Le Celticant

Quote from: The_Silencer on Jan 27, 2010, 01:58:22 PM

I'm sorry.. just not getting a clear understanding of what you are saying.

It's basically pretty easy, most outdoors map (like jungle for example) does only have trees, a river and a lake (with probably one road to link everything.) This is wrong IMO.
The best idea is to put the forest as the main idea but not draw it as the first ground of the picture.
The best would be to give a complex for marines in it, a Hive for Alien and a temple location for Predator I guess. The jungle would only participate to the atmosphere with all thus green things all around the map but it needs to be adjust with landscape (maybe cliffs?) plains, rivers, lake, desert location dominated by rocks.
There should be an entire cave system also which would be the Indoor location (Something close to realistic cave with stalactite, under lake and river, very dark and hard to progress in it would be the best so Alien could get the advantage.)
This is a cat & mouse game where basically every specie has its own location advantage (Caves for Aliens, Heart of the Jungle for Predator and Empty/complex area for Marines).
So it's not a 100% jungle map in its own but it has various environment instead of having just several trees.

Having into account that this kind of map would be Predator vs. marine only. I'd like to recommend you this Crysis map so you get an idea of what I do have in mind. -> Silent Jungle?.. hmm.. I've to confirm that, sorry. I've dozens of cool maps for Crysis here. (I'll edit this if this is not the right map.)

That map model would work very well . Although with higher trees spreaded around and on a larger map playable area.

I personally don't like Crysis in its own even if there are interesting things about mapping. But this is too much simplified and far from what I would like to see.
Maybe you've got some pictures to en-light me?

dude63

dude63

These aren't really problems for me to be honest. I just look foward to playing it. We won't know fully of these functions until it is released. However, as a hardcore aliens or predator fan I can see why you would feel they need to be changed.

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Sure.

Screens and videos for ya. ;D

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=43187

/* Notice that i've edited the first post with the correct info above. */

Le Celticant

Quote from: The_Silencer on Jan 27, 2010, 02:36:44 PM
Sure.

Screens and videos for ya. ;D

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=43187

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGYos-_Vn0

/* Notice that i've edited the first post with the correct info above. */

Well you see this is exactly this type of map I don't want to see in it.
This is jungle only. There are 100 trees around and that's all.
It surely fun to play it as a Predator. Pretty boring in the end for the marine.
The map has a lack of details (I'm not telling about graphics careful but about the design in itself).
It's pretty full with only trees and nothing else.

The_Silencer

Yep, pure jungle map. Basically trees, dense vegetation and those rocks and elevations ( slopes) I suggested before.

I do not see what's the problem for the alien in it; from a mechanics standpoint.

Well, maybe you do not want a map like this into this game. Nothing to say about it because, as always, that's a matter of tastes. But I can guarantee that thousands of players would love this map due its inherent similarity with the environment sets you can view in the Predator 1 movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed