Did Ridley scott do a good job at making prometheus a prequel to the alien film?

Started by predalien48, Aug 14, 2014, 02:38:17 PM

Author
Did Ridley scott do a good job at making prometheus a prequel to the alien film? (Read 9,843 times)

predalien48

Was this a good prequel to alien? I have asked my self that way to many times and frankly I have to say no because unless they made a clone of weyland then he screwed up on this one. A lot of things in the movie bother me still bother me like how in Prometheus the engineers are in suits when in alien the engineer has no suit on he actually looks like that.http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/space-jockey-alien.jpg You can see the mouth open in the picture and where the chest burster came out. Tell us what you think.

hfeldhaus

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: predalien48 on Aug 14, 2014, 02:38:17 PM
unless they made a clone of weyland then he screwed up on this one.
Can you elaborate?  If you're talking about Charles B Weyland, Ridley Scott chose to ignore the AvP film continuity for his film.

Prometheus the engineers are in suits when in alien the engineer has no suit on he actually looks like that.http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/space-jockey-alien.jpg You can see the mouth open in the picture and where the chest burster came out.
Different ship obviously lets the suit from ALIEN be a different suit.  Maybe the suit from ALIEN has a mouthpiece, or just a flap that only looks like a mouth to human eyes.  And there's no reason why the chest burster couldn't have come out through the "ribs" of the suit.

Tell us

SM

Story pacing aside, I think there's some continuity issues in terms of the difference in technology between Prometheus and the Alien films -  but overall, yeah he did a good enough job.

Blacklabel

^ Fifield's "pups" would have made a really good difference in Aliens to do recons on the Atmosphere Processor. :P

SM

Rather.

(If one ignores that fat lot of good they did in Prometheus...)

Darwinsgirl

Am I remembering it right from one of the ALIEN commentaries that Ridley wanted to use them? 

Not called pups but an automated mapping / scanning device. Either the technology wasn't available or budget stopped it. 

Blacklabel

Darwinsgirl

Thanks!

I've been on an ALIEN marathon of late...makings of...vintage articles...books. 

I'm going to start taking notes! To keep it straight.  ;D

PsyKore

I think yes and no. It works as a parallel story for the most part. The part which doesn't work are the differing aesthetics and tech used in the film.

MrSpaceJockey

Oh yeah so my opinion for the topic is that it's not a good prequel for Alien, but in theory (because I dislike the film, irrelevant) works better as another story in the same universe.  Little ties Prometheus directly to the events in Alien so it's not really a set-up story for Alien

Biggest difference would be the tech as others have mentioned before.  But for those who really care about continuity it can be somewhat justified (classic 'really old blue collar tug vs billions of dollars top of the line exploration vehicle' argument), as can the discrepancies with the space jockeys (different tech, one out of the two ships we've seen is older/different from the other).

SM

Jockey discrepancies are neither here nor there.

Ditto technology compared to Alien - Company flagship vs. beat up tug.

It's when you get to Aliens that the technology issues become a bit problematic.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Was this a good prequel to alien? I have asked my self that way to many times and frankly I have to say no because unless they made a clone of weyland then he screwed up on this one. A lot of things in the movie bother me still bother me like how in Prometheus the engineers are in suits when in alien the engineer has no suit on he actually looks like that.http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/space-jockey-alien.jpg You can see the mouth open in the picture and where the chest burster came out. Tell us what you think.

Quite honestly I've always accepted that the original space jockey wore a biomechanical suit but not covering the head, and originally that would have been covered in a clear space helmet before they decided to not include it. But I suppose the relationship between the engineers with their suits and that thing in the chair remain a blur to let go of.

Cal427eb

I think overall he did a good enough job, but as SM pointed out, the advanced technology still annoys me a little bit.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

It's just an ok film with some good stuff in it...
and some VERY DUMB shieeett. :P Just a little step above Alien Resurrection for me.

The technology stuff doesnt annoy me... the bad story beats do.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed