More Casting: ROOM breakout Jacob Tremblay to star in Shane Black's The Predato

Started by ace3g, Jan 25, 2017, 05:30:11 PM

Author
More Casting: ROOM breakout Jacob Tremblay to star in Shane Black's The Predato (Read 45,622 times)

Stealth_Hunter

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: genocyber on Jan 26, 2017, 02:38:35 AM
QuoteSays who? Not the director or casting agent. This is an R rated movie and everyone cynical about the cast was expecting/suggesting casts that rival The Avengers' monumentally expensive bunch. Film is a business.
Star power always brings in the big dollars.

The last Expendables film had 3 of the people on your list and it bombed. "Always" isn't the word I'd use:

-Dwayne Johnson- Hercules bombed
-Jessica Biel- Same star power as Thomas Jane
-Harrison Ford- Paranoia bombed
-Dolph Lundgren- Too many bombs to count and not an A-lister
-Terry Crews- Same star power as Thomas Jane and does Adam Sandler movies
-Michael B Jordan- Fant4stic bombed
-Jessica Biel- Hmmm.....an interesting addition to make your list longer
-Ronda Rousey- Terrible Actress and the worst part of F7, plus has as many haters as she does fans
-Henry Cavill- Man from UNCLE and Cold Light of Day bombed.

You should consider the possibility that perhaps Shane Black would like to spend the budget elsewhere, not just on the cast.

ALSO: what did you mean when you said "Shane Black made the last movie and it wasn't even all that great. It was just on the cusp of watchable and mediocre"  ???

Sorry, not three but FOUR of the people on your list were in the bomb that was Expendables 3

BishopShouldGo

Lol really? You're going to cite Hercules as a bomb?

I mean that is straight up like me saying Tom Cruise is a box office draw, and you citing Legend as proof he isn't a box office draw. Don't get ridiculous up in here.

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 26, 2017, 02:59:45 AM
Lol really? You're going to cite Hercules as a bomb? It made 2.5x its budget, which is not great but ok. Not an outright bomb.
Oh okay, I didn't bother checking since it seemed like such a nothing of a movie. How'd Snitch and Faster do? If they did "ok" then I still hesitate to say Dwayne is a sure bet considering his salary must be high.

QuoteDwayne Johnson is still a box office draw though. San Andreas, Moana, Central Intelligence were all smash hits.
I agree.

QuoteLooking through your other examples...wow! You're citing these under-performers but not citing the actors' successes. You're crazy. Michael B. Jordan for example was part of an ensemble in Fantastic Four yet acquired great success with Creed. Not a logical, cogent guy.
You miss the point I made, friend. "ALWAYS" is not the correct word to use when describing the money these people pull in just for being in a film. That's not to say they aren't successful or haven't been in good films that have made money. Simply put: it takes more than their names to draw audiences. Expendables 3 is the perfect example of this, as it was a franchise with a star-studded cast and yet audiences expect more (ie: a film that is good).

genocyber

I chose many of these actors because of how well they would work as an ensemble over them each having a stand alone feature. Dwayne Johnson would be the perfect leading man in a movie like this, with Harrison Ford as some kind of military superior who has inside info on the Predator that could be either an ally or enemy for the group.

BishopShouldGo

Dwayne Johnson is a box office draw and that is that is that. I won't engage further.

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: genocyber on Jan 26, 2017, 03:08:56 AM
I chose many of these actors because of how well they would work as an ensemble over them each having a stand alone feature.

Expendables 3 was an ensemble film and not a standalone feature. Had Ford, Crews, Lundgren, and Rousey.

QuoteDwayne Johnson would be the perfect leading man in a movie like this,
I'd agree if he wasn't already so busy he probably only gets 2 hours of sleep per night. Are you going to blame them for not casting Dwayne Johnson in yet another franchise?

Quotewith Harrison Ford as some kind of military superior who has inside info on the Predator that could be either an ally or enemy for the group.

I get you want big names for the film (Rhodes, Holbrook, and Brown are stars in the making imho), but I'm just saying their names aren't "guarantees" slapped on the poster, and perhaps Black needs the budget to go elsewhere.

genocyber

Not all the actors I listed were in Expendables 3. Lest we forget they all have had successful careers beforehand. The shortcomings of that movie came down to it being a PG 13 bloodless film.

Again I reiterate: Dwayne Johnson. The guy works magic on anything with action.

Stealth_Hunter

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 26, 2017, 03:17:12 AM
Dwayne Johnson is a box office draw and that is that is that. I won't engage further.
I didn't say he wasn't. Also, before you deleted your comment, you said Hercules made 2.5x its budget back. Box Office mojo states it cost $100 million and made $72 million domestically and $244 million worldwide, which the studio doesn't get 100% of if I'm not mistaken.

I think you're saying I'm crazy and illogical because you're not following the clear argument being made. I'll lay it out plainly:

-Genocyber said "Star power always brings in the big dollars"
-I gave examples on why that is factually incorrect.

That doesn't mean star power never brings in big dollars or that the stars on his list are failures. They are great, imo.

Quote from: genocyber on Jan 26, 2017, 03:24:02 AM
Not all the actors I listed were in Expendables 3.

I know, that's why I listed the 4 that were.

QuoteLest we forget they all have had successful careers beforehand.

I definitely didn't forget that. Lest we forget your original claim that their names always bring in the money. Simply not true.

QuoteThe shortcomings of that movie came down to it being a PG 13 bloodless film.

Almost as if audiences care more about the film itself than the stars in it, huh?

QuoteAgain I reiterate: Dwayne Johnson. The guy works magic on anything with action.

Why are you reiterating the part I've agreed with multiple times?

I guess I'll reiterate something then: why did you say "Shane Black made the last movie and it wasn't even all that great. It was just on the cusp of watchable and mediocre"  ??? Did you really think Shane Black made Predators?

D88M

Quote from: Daz1999 on Jan 25, 2017, 10:17:43 PM
How is it not canon?

sorry i dont want to derail the topic but is juat that since Predator 2 there has been nothing good on movies, and even if this movie is good i think they will do so much stuff different that it wont count as canon

Quote from: nanison on Jan 26, 2017, 12:13:22 AM
Good news, I was wondering what the new angle was going to be and it's something I never thought about.
I like the fact that this will finally portray the predator as an intelligent species and not just a killing machine monster (we have aliens for that). After all those creatures build space ships which humans beings can't yet. So naturally they have a language, morality, intelligence etc

Looks interesting and original. There's more to them than killing and skinning creatures...

Be serious really who wanted yet another round of a predator killing of a bunch of tough guys? And yet people are talking about a lack of creativity in sequels/reboots.

they showed us that they are intelligent species that  are also killing machine monsters, just like us, they use their free time to hunt, aliens are both those things too, and i actually would not mind if we always got the same movie, Predator vs Cowboy, Predator vs Samurai, the possibilites are endless  without changing the formula, only the setting, but i get what you mean

genocyber

genocyber

QuoteAlmost as if audiences care more about the film itself than the stars in it, huh?
Well the film made 214.6 million dollars in the box office over its 90 million dollar budget, so despite it not being as good as it should have been it was still a success. The PG 13 point I brought up was a common complaint of why the film was not viewed so favorably compared to the previous two. Their is also a fourth planned, so yes the audiences do care about the stars in it.

QuoteDid you really think Shane Black made Predators?
Yeah sorry, I retract that. I made an error on that part that I double checked on. Point for you on that. Although, I still don't trust Shane Black directing this. He feels better as a writer than a director. Iron Man 3 was a mess.

QuoteWhy are you reiterating the part I've agreed with multiple times?
You seemed to allude to him being unable to take part in this kind of project. I imagine he gets freedom to pick and choose what he wants, and if his schedule is filled its better to book him when his slot is free and wait. I know Marvel did that with Cumberbatch for Doctor Strange and it seemed to work well there.

Also I just want to point out that we're going to have a Predator movie with an autistic kid in a lead role who figures out their language. If you folks are going to go along with this then I don't ever want to hear bitching about the hieroglyph reading in AVP ever again.

Keith

This film needs someone like Benedict Cumberbatch in an over-the-top Bill Paxton role

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: genocyber on Jan 26, 2017, 04:02:55 AM
QuoteAlmost as if audiences care more about the film itself than the stars in it, huh?
Well the film made 214.6 million dollars in the box office over its 90 million dollar budget, so despite it not being as good as it should have been it was still a success.

That's a worldwide number, though, so the studio only gets a portion of that $214 million. All I know is it came out at #4 opening weekend despite having the biggest ensemble of stars.

QuoteThe PG 13 point I brought up was a common complaint of why the film was not viewed so favorably compared to the previous two.

Yeah, I'm saying the decisions made around the film hurt it's box office and quality overall. Movies can be bigger than their stars now, and people usually won't want more of what they don't like; which is why I'm betting Expendables 4 will be R rated and focus on what fans loved about the first 2 (not a group of young Expendables).

QuoteTheir is also a fourth planned, so yes the audiences do care about the stars in it.

Well we will have to see how well the 4th does and if the amount of people who show up warrants the amount they're paying everyone in addition to the rest of the budget.

QuoteI still don't trust Shane Black directing this. He feels better as a writer than a director. Iron Man 3 was a mess.

That's fair, I can see why some fans wouldn't like IM3. Personally, I liked it and know Shane could only do so much in a restrictive Marvel universe. He's more in his element with Predator, though.

QuoteYou seemed to allude to [Dwayne Johnson] being unable to take part in this kind of project. I imagine he gets freedom to pick and choose what he wants, and if his schedule is filled its better to book him when his slot is free and wait. I know Marvel did that with Cumberbatch for Doctor Strange and it seemed to work well there.

His schedule is filled to the point he's risking over saturation. Don't get me wrong, I think Dwayne Johnson is great, but he has a crazy amount on his agenda. It's to the point that if he were cast, and The Predator is a success, we wouldn't see a sequel for another 8 years (I'm guessing). I mean, when is San Andreas getting a sequel? I imagine the studio  (and fans) wants to reinvigorate the Predator franchise and not wait over 5 years for its sequels. Sure, you can say "it's worth it to make a good movie" but the studio and Shane Black is banking on making a good movie with the cast and talent they have now.

QuoteAlso I just want to point out that we're going to have a Predator movie with an autistic kid in a lead role who figures out their language. If you folks are going to go along with this then I don't ever want to hear bitching about the hieroglyph reading in AVP ever again.

Boyd Holbrook actually has the lead role, not the kid.

And as much as I can appreciate the AVP movies, the hieroglyph reading was the least of its issues and didn't bother me. I personally can suspend my belief with the kid, as it's been discussed in this thread why it may not be so farfetched (especially considering other moments that require suspension of belief even in the original film).

brokentusk420

This movie just took a turn for the worse. Here comes another AVPR style movie. A kid? Really? Talking to the predator? Way to jump the F-ing shark....

overthere

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Jan 26, 2017, 06:26:10 AM
This movie just took a turn for the worse. Here comes another AVPR style movie. A kid? Really? Talking to the predator? Way to jump the F-ing shark....

Nobody said the kid is going to talk to the Predator.

OpenMaw

It'll be the equivalent to a blind man reading brail if it happens at all.

I really don't get why people are getting upset over the cast. it's really quite a good group of mid-level players, new blood, and a sprinkling of veterans.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed