Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 279,606 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

'Bland and ordinary' means appealing to the widest demographic possible.  Also, sticking mainly to audience expectations.  Obviously so they can make more money.  Alien is a tried and true formula.  Every film sticks to the formula, but the most interesting ones divert from the formula the most.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 15, 2017, 04:03:09 AMThat's a good thing, though.  Do you prefer bland and ordinary?

Not at all. I love weird shit. I also love ordinary shit. Not a big fan of bland shit though.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 15, 2017, 11:47:34 AM
Every film sticks to the formula, but the most interesting ones divert from the formula the most.

Every mainstream film. There are films without formulas, trust me.

But generally I agree.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Guys holy shit, Prometheus 2 was about a bunch of colonist couples with go-pros getting split open by CGI xenos. Blows my mind every f**king two days.

I don't think I'll ever get over it. No Shaw communicating with engineers. No badass, subtle David.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Well...just saw the blu-ray and have to admit I'm gonna be eating my shoe...this movie is pretty good...from 6.7 I have to bump it to an 8.2 whereas Prometheus is still a 9 for me n Alien/Aliens 10.

I see where everything was heading, yes it had some goofy parts but its pretty damn good..

It can get very interesting from here as it leaves unlimited ways and doors to continue the story.

I didn't like the part with Tennessee's wife panicking like an airhead, why would she not open the door and both go and get guns since she already had blood on her face...that's completely nuts.

The part with Daniels surfing on a ship is in the same category.

But the rest of the movie is easily an 8.5, would have been a 9 if the Alien played a lesser super fast paced role. The Covenant should have been in the horror show with either a full grown newborn Beluga Alien or a big chap.

I see what a great role David is playing now...this is a pretty damn great movie.

The location, story is all there...I even liked the flute scene this time...there's some very interesting tidbits of info being thrown in everywhere including that scene.

David basically took a virus and just kept modifying it in his mad scientist labs. Who knows what other mutations the engineers messed around with..

It seems Ridley Scott is detracting from the Alien as being the main focus of the story to try and open things up in this which is great too. I'd have 2-3 different directors making different movies in this Universe, some like Aliens others like Alien, while continuing with this story too..

Need to add more horror/terror though...gotta have that element in there. Thought I was gonna shit my pants Ridley lol.

PS: Did they add more lines/scenes in this cut? I don't remember the captain saying to David I am seriously going to f**k up your composure. That was a great line.

It's 1:30 i think im going to watch it again....This was a few scenes away from a masterpiece.

The Alien probably really moves like that but it was at times too glowy like in Alien Res. With the Alien really moving at those speeds, the cgi and glowness all together..didn't work too too well, at times. Some scenes were very well done though with that big chap.

szkoki

szkoki

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 20, 2017, 05:29:53 AM
Well...just saw the blu-ray and have to admit I'm gonna be eating my shoe...this movie is pretty good...from 6.7 I have to bump it to an 8.2 whereas Prometheus is still a 9 for me n Alien/Aliens 10.

I see where everything was heading, yes it had some goofy parts but its pretty damn good..

It can get very interesting from here as it leaves unlimited ways and doors to continue the story.

I didn't like the part with Tennessee's wife panicking like an airhead, why would she not open the door and both go and get guns since she already had blood on her face...that's completely nuts.

The part with Daniels surfing on a ship is in the same category.

But the rest of the movie is easily an 8.5, would have been a 9 if the Alien played a lesser super fast paced role. The Covenant should have been in the horror show with either a full grown newborn Beluga Alien or a big chap.

I see what a great role David is playing now...this is a pretty damn great movie.

The location, story is all there...I even liked the flute scene this time...there's some very interesting tidbits of info being thrown in everywhere including that scene.

David basically took a virus and just kept modifying it in his mad scientist labs. Who knows what other mutations the engineers messed around with..

It seems Ridley Scott is detracting from the Alien as being the main focus of the story to try and open things up in this which is great too. I'd have 2-3 different directors making different movies in this Universe, some like Aliens others like Alien, while continuing with this story too..

Need to add more horror/terror though...gotta have that element in there. Thought I was gonna shit my pants Ridley lol.

PS: Did they add more lines/scenes in this cut? I don't remember the captain saying to David I am seriously going to f**k up your composure. That was a great line.

It's 1:30 i think im going to watch it again....This was a few scenes away from a masterpiece.

The Alien probably really moves like that but it was at times too glowy like in Alien Res. With the Alien really moving at those speeds, the cgi and glowness all together..didn't work too too well, at times. Some scenes were very well done though with that big chap.

Nice.  8)

Faris just totally lost herself with panic. If she had survived, I'm sure she would look back on her mistakes and agree with you lol.

They should have done something more with the Alien at the end. I wasn't too enthused about how quickly they corralled it. It would have been a good time for Tennessee to bite the dust.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: szkoki on Aug 20, 2017, 09:44:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXbTzSOJITI

Yeah...I thought the same after viewing it at the theatre..but watch it a 2nd time it may change your opinion a bit.

Just saw the deleted/extended scenes...some of them are good and should have been in the movie.

I still found some scenes that make no sense like the guy saying what is wheat doing all the way out here in space when they've already heard a human song while listening to the transmission...or why the hell isnt there a bit more expression when they discover shaw's military tag..picture..etc. As if they had seen a rock or something.

Also, the scene with the 2nd guy that gets infected is as bad as the snake scene in Prometheus...could have been done smarter.

Besides all that, if the big chap was shown in a better way, this movie would have been great. Too much jumping around and CGI in some scenes killed it a few points. It basically lacked smart terror and a bit more smarter dialogue was needed. Still a good movie though and 4th best of the series..

Alien 10
Aliens 10
Prometheus 9
AC 8.2
A3 7.3
A4 7.2

One more thing concerning the Neutrino, smart idea but the captain's suggestion to figure out how it haplened is a bit absurd, everyone aboard that ship should know Neutrino strikes can pass from anywhere but highly unlikely to hit one as Walter points out. Unless he was getting at a point that they should fix the ship, didn't quite get it.

Walter is great by the way. Best Android to have on board. Smart and reliable. But what the heck did he insert in the biohazard jar in the beginning? Looked like what David spat out in the end..

Love the transmission part in this movie, it clearly shows what happened to Shaw also. Probably lost her mind waiting around to be singing that song you'd think.

I liked the captain too he had great points and lines, not sure why he looked useless in the theater...

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 19, 2017, 04:12:09 AM
Guys holy shit, Prometheus 2 was about a bunch of colonist couples with go-pros getting split open by CGI xenos. Blows my mind every f**king two days.

As opposed to what?  You want 80s camcorders instead?  :P

QuoteI don't think I'll ever get over it. No Shaw communicating with engineers.

She already did that in Prometheus.  It didn't work out well for her.

QuoteNo badass, subtle David.

Well he wasn't exactly a comic book villain level of subtle.  :P

Nostromo

Nostromo

Goodnight, don't let the bed bugs bite!

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 21, 2017, 04:56:31 AM

David had that twisted humour in Prometheus, though.  "Good health"  It's part of his character. 

SM

SM

QuotePS: Did they add more lines/scenes in this cut? I don't remember the captain saying to David I am seriously going to f**k up your composure. That was a great line.

It was in the theatrical version.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 21, 2017, 06:14:18 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 21, 2017, 04:56:31 AM

David had that twisted humour in Prometheus, though.  "Good health"  It's part of his character. 

Yes he did, suits him.

After viewing it for a 3rd time it's clear this movie is great with 1 or 2 flaws for me.

The part where Faris (who looks like cpl. Dietrich but acts like cpl. Fero in Aliens, ) is getting screamed at to open the door while she's the one that will clearly be infected, if anyone is going to be infected, with blood on her face. It should have been the other girl covered with blood on her face screaming than it would make more sense.

And the big stink is almost every scene with the big chap Alien..no build up just an Alien running around in glowing cgi...looked very cartoony...clumsy and lazy way to end the movie, should have wasted a bit more resources here, I'm curious to see the making of AC.

I feel like some more content was missing in the movie, a better extended version would have worked great here. Have shown the company (Weyland) making plans or talking about the Prometheus being lost or something in the beginning of the movie,  with even more Weyland story during the movie.

Daniels needed to show some more expression also when finding another human's dogtag 500 trillion miles away from Earth...not oh here's someone's dogtag, how nice is that.

Yea that chick wondering around the caves to clean herself is a bit ridiculous too...in Alien or Aliens no one was really left walking around alone, unless it was David that told them mi casa su casa they suddenly felt at home. 

Should have been planning how to escape not washing their hair as if nothing is going on...

The rest of the movie is completely watchable.

Soundtrack is pretty damn good. Mixed feelings about using some Alien 1979 music though in the beginning.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 21, 2017, 12:28:01 PMThe part where Ferris or Farris is getting screamed at to open the door while she's the one that's clearly going to be infected with blood on her face. That is so stupid it makes you want to break the tv.

It's not stupid at all.

It's someone who's terrified and panicking and more concerned about saving themselves than the fact they have blood on their face. It's selfish and irresponsible, but it's perfectly believable given the heap of scary shit she finds herself in.

I get why people harp on her constantly falling over (not that I found that especially silly either, given the horrific chaos that's unfolding), but her refusing to open that door isn't dumb at all. It's survival instinct in a panicked situation.

Hemi

Hemi

Fcking youtube trying to tell me what I should and should not like.

"Why I hated crap" Please press play, cous I need attention. (and views)

Just use your keyboard and boards like these. I don't want to see a movie of a screenshot with a bloke talking over it.

Lazy! Shut your piehole and use your keyboard!

--- end rant

Srry about that, maybe i'm just getting old or something...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed